It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Battening down the hatches in the Bay Area

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
'Just a shoutout to all my fellow ATSers on the US West Coast as this powerful storm moves in. After our house was flooded last week (just the basement, thank heavens) I found myself "sandbagging" and helping our neighbors stack sandbags today in preparation for this week's deluge:

Most all of the San Francisco schools are closed tomorrow in anticipation of this storm with winds up to 50 mph. The ground is already saturated from last week's rain that sent a 5-10-ft flood down our street and slammed cars into houses, and they expect as much rain in the next 36 hours as we received in all of last week.

Everyone, please stay safe and take this one seriously. Bring in the cats and dogs. If you know of any elderly neighbors who might have a hard time with a power outage or flood, please remember them.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Duck and cover for sure!!! That is insane!

Stay safe everyone.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Bring it on Baby!!! Cali needs the snow pack!!!

Plus I sleep like a baby when it rains.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I hope you slept well, mOjOm. It's coming down in earnest now. Our front windows look like an auto car wash. Manhole covers are popping off and geysers are gushing in the streets.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Being a native of Fremont ( and a person who spent most of their time in Santa Cruz, Capitola, and SF ) my thoughts go out to my friends and family in the city by the Bay.

I especially pray that no mudslides occur. Those are always the worst with Cali storms. Less so up north, but still an issue in places like Tiburon and cities north of SF.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Thanks, Heff. Flash flood warnings are issued for SF and surrounding areas, now. Power is out at Union Square. All lanes flooded on 101 near San Rafael. I'm glad they closed the schools today.

(BTW, Capitola is a great place to get away.)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: graceunderpressure

I'm right here in the 805, central Cali for those who dunno - I'm watching it creep its way into the area nice and slow, steadily getting heavier.

Weather is suggesting one of the coldest winters we've had in like... 20 years here, or something like that - so I'm hoping to see snow on Pismo Beach.

I'll be the hooded figure watching from the safety of an awning somewhere if anyone is looking for me.

Stay dry!

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Stay safe everyone! *fingers crossed*

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Thanks, Digit and Kosmic! Our basement is flooding and I hope that our washer and dryer survive this one.

I just heard a firsthand report from a City Water employee who said he saw a woman trapped in a car with a child on a flooded roadway with water gushing down from the hill above them. Maddeningly, he didn't know exactly where it was, so I couldn't call it in. My prayers go out to them, whoever and wherever they are.

new topics

top topics

join