It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NLBS #27: NASA Never Spent One Million Dollars on a Pen, and more BS Misconceptions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
We've been running at an intense pace with some rather intense topics over the past few episodes, so it's a perfect time to lighten things up and take a look at a few BS misconceptions that lots of people still hold to be true. For example, NASA never spent one million dollars developing a pen that would write in space. Also, the notion that eating carrots improves your eyesight is actually the result of a government misinformation campaign that worked. Watch the episode for more.

Watch in HD on www.TheNLBS.com

Share this video. Tell your friends. Spread the Next Level BS!

Follow Next Level BS on Twitter @theNLBS

Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Check us out on DailyMotion

Go to the website: www.theNLBS.com

And get NLBS t-shirts and swag thenlbs.spreadshirt.com
edit on 10-12-2014 by theNLBS because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-12-2014 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

I need to get into the pen business.

How much do they pay for a hammer? Thats gotta be closer to ten million right?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I think the actual price NASA paid per pen was around $220. From the info we could dig up, the total Fisher contract was just shy of $90,000.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This one I truly loved. Keep up the good work. I gave it two thumbs up.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Double post.
edit on 10-12-2014 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Oh man that poor guy with the lightning. Lost it with the expression you made.

That was a fun episode. It was getting a little bit serious for awhile there.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Still sounds great.

Looking to invest?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
NASA never spent one million dollars developing a pen that would write in space.

Can't blame people for believing this.

Our government does some rather epic stupid stuff.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Wisconsin DOT spent 30k on some cardboard props to make a 2 minute flintstones video though,

Yabba Dabba Dough: Wisconsin DOT spends $30K on ‘Flintstones’-style training video

What I’m talking about is a two-minute roundabout training video produced by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation that features actors walking around in a circle with what appears to be cardboard automobiles hanging over their shoulders with straps.

Source

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
The guy getting struck by lightning... Twice... In a row...

Joe you owe me a keyboard now. PM for the address.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
If only ATS could get some of that ridiculous government money our haters always talk about us getting, and regular folk believe gets thrown into the wind by the Bureaucrats, we'd actually put it to good use!

In any case...

EXCELLENT Show Joe and Bill!

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Springer
REDACTED, thanks S.O.
edit on 10-12-2014 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Thanks for the weekly fix.....
Im starting to wish this was daily

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
How much money do you make on this NLBS show? Also, how is it split? and what good uses do you put it to?

So far… not a lot… not enough for dinner for two. It takes a long time -- or tremendous/rare luck -- to build a YouTube channel to the point where it makes meaningful revenue. At some point, it will, but we're far from it.

But, to answer the implied question, once it does begin to cover costs and more, we plan to engage a dedicated research assistant to ensure journalistic integrity, and help produce more than two shows a week.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

You might want to go ahead and deleted the thread I just started.

On a side note the "Journalistic integrity" should have come first,imho.
edit on 10-12-2014 by abe froman because: 2nd

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I loved the lighter side NLBS show Joe I hope you do more between the harder stuff. The length of the shows are perfect for my attention span. (I know its a personal issue) Man I had never heard about the carrot thing being government propaganda. That is classic.

I never really thought about the blue blood thing but it makes total sense once I started thinking about scuba diving. Same effect in deeper waters.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
On a side note the "Journalistic integrity" should have come first,imho.

It always has. Our presentation comes from extensive research, not biased preconceptions.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Your title says "NBLS #27" ... shouldn't that be NLBS?

Great work, by the way!

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
NASA didnt spend any money on the space pen? well theres a bit more to the story than is explained in the video:

NASA didnt spend one million on acquiring THAT pen but they did try to develop one themselves first but had to give up the project as costs started to spiral. Makes me wonder how much they spent before giving up?..knowing how much NASA over spends on everything ill bet it was a lot.

Like most urban legends, there is a grain of truth: NASA began to develop a space pen, but when development costs skyrocketed the project was abandoned and astronauts went back to using pencils, along with the Soviets

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 10-12-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

OK Let get this Out of the Way

Let's look at this View for a Better Understanding ...
Theirs a Lot of Misconceptions about the 10 percent MYTH Brain Percentage ..

Yes we Use 100% of our Brain., But not at all the Same time ...

what people have to Understand is its not the Capacity Usage !

its all about the Consumption of ENERGY the Brain Takes In and Controls from that 100 Percent !

and Also the Communication of Neurons Activity Is it the Truth.. ? that Our Neurons only use 15% at One time ? The Brain alone Consumes 20 percent of Our Total Energy ... of the Human Body .

Well the Higher IQ you have the The Faster the Neurons Communicate..

In other Words It All about Improving those Neuron Connections !

and if anyone Have Seen the Movie LUCY The falsely claimed 10 percent Myth Movie

I Assume the Director & Producers was making the Attempt of that Point

as They Used in the Movie A claimed a Chemical ( CPH 4 not the Real Name of it ) a Woman Produces at her 6 week Pregnancy that produces Energy Equivalent to a Atomic Bomb.. ???? and a Woman that Used a Synthetic imitation of this chemical, that LUCY OD'd on it giving her brain that kind of Energy for the Full Usage... UMM ( Energy) according to the Movie ...

So its the Energy not the Capacity.. firing those Neurons quicker faster ( Extreme Overdrive ) I Assume...

and it explains in that Movie ( LUCY ) that she is also Dying because of it ! ...

Best Way to explain is.... in Layman's Terms

its Like Running a Dragster Miles on the Red on Salt Flats Until the Engine Fails ( Blown )

just think of a Car Engine its 100 percent Usage ! in Idle Lowest RPM and Put it in Gear then Flooring it !!!
Still 100% Just using More Gas and Energy !! Highest RPM Right ...

The Nervous System is a Wonderful Thing ...

well that's My GUESS! ...

“The flame that burns Twice as bright burns half as long.”

― Lao Tzu, Te Tao Ching

edit on 32014WednesdayfAmerica/Chicago12343 by Wolfenz because: wasnt finished LOL

top topics

<<   2 >>

join