It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenpeace activists 'damage' ancient Nazca lines, Peru to seek criminal charges

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Seems like Greenpeace think they are untouchables. I used to like Greenpeace years ago but with founding members resigning the multi million pound organisation something has drastically changed with their mindset.

Peru is to press charges against Greenpeace activists after damage caused to a UN World Heritage site – the Nazca lines – during mass action to raise the profile of the group. The group left their footprints in the sand during the stunt, according to a top government official. “It's a true slap in the face at everything Peruvians consider sacred,” Deputy Culture Minister Luis Jaime Castillo said after Greenpeace took the action on Monday, reported AP. Greenpeace unfurled a giant banner at the beginning of the week reading “TIME FOR CHANGE / THE FUTURE IS RENEWABLE / GREENPEACE”.

It had set it up next to the hummingbird-shaped formation. Entrance to the area is “strictly prohibited”; the Nazca culture was prevalent in the region between approximately 100 BC to 800AD and the imaginary figures imprinted in the ground are thought to have had astronomical functions.

rt.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
A useless group show their uselessness.

Hope they lose millions.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Tree huggers are bastards !
I mean there just plane odd people ! who act like there saving the planet and are as just as lazy as the average joe. !

I hate tree huggers pfffft !
Bastards !

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Not that I'm defending Greenpeace (far from it), but I'd like to see some pictures of the 'damage' they did. It may be true that large disturbances of the rocks will remain for a long time, but unless they destroyed part of the ancient lines, I don't think I'd call a bunch of footprints 'damage'.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Those tree hugging, swamp swimming , arrrgggghhhhh !

They just make greenpeace look like they smoke the green and say peace !
It should be #everythingelse peace !

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli
I mean there just plane odd people ! who act like there saving the planet and are as just as lazy as the average joe. !

Bastards !

But I bet they can spell "Their". You should actually be thankful that there are people willing to hug a tree. Most of us are to busy hugging concrete.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I once thought about joining Greenpeace full time, the adventure of saving the planet and protecting whales still appealed to me. I have heavily supported them in the past. I was livid when the French sank Rainbow Warrior back in 85.
But, and it a big but, any organization that would destroy or deface a World Heritage Site, needs to be punished. The best to way punish Greenpeace is to cut their funding.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: papazen

Bastards !

But I bet they can spell "Their". You should actually be thankful that there are people willing to hug a tree. Most of us are to busy hugging concrete.

Bet I don't give a toss what u think

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: papazen

They're*...

It's always good to be a grammar nazi to a grammar nazi.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

This is where extremism will get you.

Violating your own beliefs.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

The group left their footprints in the sand during the stunt

I think this story is all out of proportion , the Nazca lines have been suffering damage for years mostly from tourism but some by modern day life , Greenpeace are being used as a scapegoat because they upset the Peruvian government.
Peru: Heavy machinery destroys Nazca lines

According to the daily, the machinery belongs to a firm that is removing limestone from the area. The lines are located near kilometer marker 444 of the Panamericana Sur Highway. The area adjacent to the lines have reportedly also been affected, due to land being removed from the area.

edit on 10-12-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: papazen

They're*...

It's always good to be a grammar nazi to a grammar nazi.

lol he/she misspelled "too" as well.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I want to know how the sign was printed and what it was printed on....

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

But Gortex, the non-hippies have a chance to rag on greenpeace, why would they want to look at the bigger picture?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: papazen

Bastards !

Isn't it they're? Not their or there?
..anyways. If it is just a few foot prints, I don't think much will come from it. Now, if it looks like some redneck took his truck and did some donuts, then there might be an issue.

edit on 10-12-2014 by fieldyznutz because: lack of intelligence

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Full agreement, gortex.
They are building, mining & excavating all throughout the lines...
Further south, Chinese mining companies are taking everything they can get (may be an exaggeration - but it's not far off).
And, in the northern part of Chile, more of the same.
Pooh Pooh on Greenpeace for thinking their priorities are holier than all others'.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

I actually feel quite bad now.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

So do I.

I happen to love trees and sitting on concrete causes hemorrhoids (so Ive heard lol).

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Lol no doubt pal.

Papa did actually make a good point.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: aorAki

I want to know how the sign was printed and what it was printed on....

Picture is in the BBC News link...I can't believe how selfish Greenpeace is for physically doing this! They could have just photoshopped their giant ground banner!

BBC News Link 'Greenpeace Sorry...'

top topics

<<   2 >>

join