It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chris Matthews: C’mon, you’re crazy if you think Al Qaeda’s going to stop torturing if we do

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
He must of completely lost that tingle down his leg.

This is the first time I agree with him.

Strange comment for that boot licker.

He must have had a sober moment or something?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Via the Daily Caller. He’s right, but … I’m not sure anyone, up to and including nutty Joan Walsh, is claiming otherwise. (If Al Qaeda ends up ratcheting down the barbarity, it’ll be because of lessons they’ve learned from ISIS, not from the U.S.) On the other hand, opponents of EIT do frequently say that we need to set an example for the rest of the world in renouncing torture and I’ve never understood that argument either. Who are we setting an example for? Which countries are going to change how they handle terrorists because Dianne Feinstein released the CIA report? Don’t we count on other countries to stick with enhanced interrogation for our own rendition purposes?

Gasp! Chris Mathews said what ?

There are defensible reasons to oppose EIT. You can oppose it as being immoral, regardless of what intelligence gains might be had from it. You can oppose it for being too dangerous of a slippery slope, a special concern now that Obama’s expanded drone warfare to include jihadis with American citizenship. You can oppose it because it produces bad information under duress, something that’s certainly true in some cases but not as universally true as anti-EIT absolutists insist. You can even oppose it, a la Joe Biden, because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside to do so, the left’s own version of American exceptionalism.

Yes there are.

BUT:

I don’t really see how you can oppose it as a way to influence other countries, though, except as a minor piece in a propaganda chess game. Renouncing CIA torture won’t stop Vladimir Putin from getting rough with his own prisoners but it will undercut him a bit if he argues that he’s only doing what the United States enthusiastically does to its own detainees. “Not enthusiastically!” we can now say. So, yay. Besides, the propaganda value in having global media revisit this old subject is much greater to someone like Putin than the propaganda loss he’s suffered in having Senate Democrats — who tolerated these practices for years before it became an issue for their base, of course — declare that America is sorry and will never do it again. For instance, here’s how the report is playing on a much-followed Twitter account devoted to Iranian propaganda:

Oh yes the propaganda gift for two bit terrorists around the world.

Especially when they IGNORE their own dirty little secrets like.

Evin prison section 209.

www.mojahedin.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

BUT:

U.S. Says Rendition to Continue, but With More Oversight

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration will continue the Bush administration’s practice of sending terrorism suspects to third countries for detention and interrogation, but pledges to closely monitor their treatment to ensure that they are not tortured, administration officials said Monday.

Handing the enemies of the state a propaganda windfall. Throwing them under the bus, and expecting them to 'help' us fight the 'war' on terror!

That is some 'Badge of Honer' as Biden claims.

Biden: Release of torture report is 'badge of honor'

Back to the original article.

I had no idear that Chris Mathews was a torture 'apologist' as some people say.

Anyhow found these links interesting, and decided to 'share the wealth'.

LOL all MSNBC anchors are liberal admin talking heads! I actually watch MSNBC because it reminds my how the clueless folks on the left think!

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
What kind of warped reality do you have to live in to think it's OK to torture innocent people?

Are we talking about some 3rd world dictatorship or America?

I'm hearing torturing innocent people is fine for 'national security' as long as it isn't me.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: neo96
Some people are saying this is the 'real' reason behind the release.

Feinstein says CIA spied on Senate computers

But that could have been anyone from our 'allies' snipped off about NSA spying on them to Russian,Iranian,North Korean, Chinese hackers.

Since nothing is going to change I find this all suspect.

That was all an arranged release.

Part of the plan to publish the report, criticize, and still continue.

Back-up for any possible Republican takeover of the Senate.

They had plenty of indications that Democrats were going to get creamed in the elections.

They are very clever at scripting an agenda.

This is ridiculous. If they had this report for all these years and were using it to undermine Republicans in congress don't you think they would have released it shortly before a tough election rather than shortly after?

Think about it.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

You mis-understand.

Read the post I was replying to.

Then think again.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I liked a comment made yesterday, that Americas tortture is not as bad as North Koreans. So the new yard stick to measure the morality of your government is North Korea. Nice. I'd say America still has some wiggle room here. As long as your not extracting finger nails and sending dissidents to gulags, your doing alright as a bastion of morality in the free world

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

What is Guantanamo if not a gulag?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TWA0918
a reply to: woodwardjnr

What is Guantanamo if not a gulag?

Dickey Cheney's happy fun time camp for men of the middle east

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>