It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C'Mon... It's Weird Quirk Confession Time!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Hey again ATS.

About fifteen minutes ago I accidentally slammed a door behind me. Something that happens to us all no doubt. But my reaction to having slammed the door was to then, very loudly, say "OUCH!!!"

A quirk. Mine. One of many.

As it happens I understand why I have this particular personality quirk. I was raised in the 70's - a time when Child Protective Services showed up not to protect kids, but to teach parents how to more effectively beat them - without the nasty leaving of marks and such. And since my parents were both insane - a slammed door meant an ass kicking... except when the loud noise produced a crying child who'd just yelled "OUCH!!!". When the "couch" was tossed in raving lunatic mom or dad became highly concerned mom or dad.

So, now, some forty years later - I still automatically say "ouch" after I do anything clumsy that causes noise or breakage.

As it happens I might well be the clumsiest adult I know - so this happens often. And ever single time I spend about 30 seconds going "Why do I still do the ouch thing???"

There ATS. One quirk, from a nearly endless list I have to draw upon. Share some of yours and I will happily throw a few of mine in as things go forward.

Don't be shy! Share the embarassing and highly personal little "isms" about yourself with the world! It's liberating and there's the bonus that most people here will either never meet you to mock you - or a new UFO story will get posted and they'll forget about whatever it is you posted.

OK ATS. Ball, your court. Go!

ETA (HA TAKE THAT COMPLAINERS OF THE WORLD): I should probably go ahead and mention that the T&C's apply.

edit on 12/10/14 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
My wife tells me i smack my chops while i sleep. She says I must be eating a delicious feast all night long because I am smacking.

I tell her she's insane and I can't trust the opinion of a woman who carries on full blown conversations in her sleep.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I heard if you do something 15 times your mind rewires it into a habit, dont know where i learned this but it does seem true,ill try find a source

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I have a real nasty habit of stroking my beard and occasionally plucking a hair from it. I don't know why, nervous tic?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
About 30 years ago I was about to sneeze and decided to see how loud i could make it whilst actually saying Achoooooo.

Ever since then I am unable to sneeze normally which can be pretty embaressing in public, I can't convey how loud and achoooy they are.

My wife swears I do it on purpose but its just the way it is now.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
My wife tells me i smack my chops while i sleep. She says I must be eating a delicious feast all night long because I am smacking.

I tell her she's insane and I can't trust the opinion of a woman who carries on full blown conversations in her sleep.

ask her questions when she is speaking asleep, the answers are allways the truth the sleeping mind cant lie...

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

I was actually stroking my chin hair as I read that. There's some sort of hardwired "evil genius" aspect to it I think....

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
About 30 years ago I was about to sneeze and decided to see how loud i could make it whilst actually saying Achoooooo.

Ever since then I am unable to sneeze normally which can be pretty embaressing in public, I can't convey how loud and achoooy they are.

My wife swears I do it on purpose but its just the way it is now.

did you do it 15 times?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I subconsciously pull beard-hairs out one at a time when I'm reading- but only on the left side of my face. Seems to only be ones over a certain length- about half an inch or so.
I have to occasionally trim the right side to keep it even, although the left side is visibly less dense because of this.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Nope just the once and that was it for life!

I also talk to myself outloud in public and when I realise I am doing it procced to loudly berate myself for talking out loud in public...

a reply to: haven123

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: haven123

I've tried.

On Sunday I was trying to go to sleep and was awakened by my wife slapping me on the face. I asked her what was going on and she said, "You don't feel warm, go back to sleep." I said, "But i was asleep, why are you checking my temp?"

"You didn't tell me you were feeling warm and ask me to check you?"

"Umm, no."

Raucous laughter ensues.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
After every belch or gas...

My entire family says...Peace

Never thought about it, it's kind of Strange.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I will not eat certain foods in the same day. Period.

If I lose my mind and eat Oreos, that's pretty much all I'm eating that day.

If I eat popcorn for a snack, definitely no pizza or spaghetti for dinner. Ever.

If I have a hot lunch, no dinner for me. And I could never, ever mix culinary types like Mexican or Chinese in the same day. Or fast food and anything else.

In fact, I would just prefer the food pill we were promised decades ago.

I have no idea why. Now leave me alone.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

In fact, I would just prefer the food pill we were promised decades ago.

I have no idea why. Now leave me alone.

Check out ##Soylent on freenode

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
dont know it this counts but i make pizza with baked beans instead of tomato sauce

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
When I am thinking outloud ( talking to myself ) I refer to myself as "we" and have no clue why. I think it's like the Royal "we" becuase I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one in here...

Then again, how would I know if I wasn't - if the others were just really quiet?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

I have a real nasty habit of stroking my beard and occasionally plucking a hair from it. I don't know why, nervous tic?

lice... only joking

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

This list of quirks put you right on par with my former assistant.

What kind of Mexican woman doesn't eat cheese?

I have a cousin who only eats bean burritos and pepperoni pizza. Only drinks Dr. Pepper and beer. Consequently, none of us feel that bad when he complains of kidney stones.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I do that but I think it's from when my son was little, I would always tell him what "we" were doing even if it was mundane and it was actually me doing it so I'd say,

"we are going to wash the pots and then we are going to get ready for bed"

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

You have food OCD! Somewhere there is a shrink who could get rich off of you!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join