It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Suggests Conspiracy Theorists Are More Positive & ‘Sane’ Compared To Conventional Thinkers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

A case study examining online commenting trends was performed by psychologists Michael J. Wood and Karen M. Douglas of the University of Kent that revealed so called “conspiracy theorists” are actually more mentally sane (reasonable & sensible) than those who are considered conventionalists.

Not that long ago, practically anyone who thought outside of the box, questioned the official stories, or did any type of investigation into certain subjects was labeled a “conspiracy theorist.” In fact, many of these people, including the majority of the writers here at Collective Evolution, are still considered conspiracy theorists by many even though the goal is simply to examine or verify the truth of something.

It is interesting how many of the people who are labeled as conspiracy theorists spend a lot of time with research and critical thinking.

More at link:
www.collective-evolution.com...

Ha ha, way to turn the tables on the establishment!

Now I don't know about the "positive" part- because there is so much of a dark side to conspiracies themselves which can tend to put one in a negative state. Especially when you read about them all the time. And usually, the conspiracies involve something bad, like murder, greed, etc.

The article points out that conspiracy theorists research more and don't just take the mainstream word as final. Which is exactly what we do at ATS- weed out the chaff and deny ignorance.

So exactly how credible is this study? I don't know, and gotta go to work...

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Most people that believe official stories get very frustrated and sometimes hostile when presented with alternate perspectives. I can only imagine what it is like because it has been so long since I realized that the world I believed in and was preparing myself for was a lie. From what I recall, it was a frustrating time for myself I think because I didnt want to believe it but the more I researched the less I could ignore it.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The people doing this study were probably conspiracy theorists looking to verify they were sane. After all, they did write it like a conspiracy.

Who in their right mind would want to be considered Normal anyway.

You know, for about twenty years I accepted what I was told by society as normal for society without questioning if the ones structuring it were actually sane. After discussing these things with many other regular people, I have learned that the people running this thing are more than a little delusional.
edit on 10-12-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Imagine if one day:

"Wow, you're a conspiracy theorist? So very pleased to meet you! I want to hear all about the research you've done!"

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
Imagine if one day:

"Wow, you're a conspiracy theorist? So very pleased to meet you! I want to hear all about the research you've done!"

That would mean that on the same day, there is still a lying corporate media syndicate in charge of duping the poor bugger causing that person to be interested in MY research. Don't listen to me, look at it for yourself or demand the media stop selling lies.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Questioning the official narrative is a form of dissent.
Dissent is being progressively criminalized by authoritarians. How far will these devils go?

Keep an eye on the shadow government

IMO, they will go as far as the Stalinists and maybe farther. You've got the Theocrats in the mix now. There are literally no moral or ethical limits for these types.
edit on 10-12-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: added link out

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

The source that links to this 'study' doesn't work. Is that a conspiracy?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
It's probably true to a certain extent. Problem is, there's plenty of 'mainstream' conspiracy theorist out there that just accept every conspiracy they hear without properly resourcing it, or using rational thought to come to a logical conclusion.

edit on 10-12-2014 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Conventional thinkers is an oxymoron.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Yeah this one seems to be popping up quite lately.

It would appear that those that have read an article on this study, didn't bother to go read the study, because the study doesn't say anything about conspiracy theorists being more sane!

conspiracypsychology.com...

The inaccurate articles written about this study and the amount of times they have shown up on ATS is concerning

Perhaps this is a good opportunity to have a think about why conspiracy theorists are prone to confirmation bias and lack critical thinking skills.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

What's even stranger is some of the very same people commenting in this thread have also commented in the other threads. I took one look at the title of this thread and knew it was a copycat to at least one other I had seen, did the ATS search thing for "conspiracy sane" and got a total of four of them (one of which was hoax binned).

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Not that long ago, practically anyone who thought outside of the box, questioned the official stories, or did any type of investigation into certain subjects was labeled a “conspiracy theorist.

Thats changed? Don't look too close, if you don't just accept the official truth as presented you will draw the attention of those that conspire to make the search for any real truth a theory and those that seek it "fringe'" elements to be ridiculed or marginalized.

Thats why they invented the term "conspiracy theorist". If its a conspiracy its just theory.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Chadwickus

What's even stranger is some of the very same people commenting in this thread have also commented in the other threads. I took one look at the title of this thread and knew it was a copycat to at least one other I had seen, did the ATS search thing for "conspiracy sane" and got a total of four of them (one of which was hoax binned).

This debacle leads me to believe that the opposite of what the OP suggests is true. Thats it's the Nutters whose sanity is comprimised.
edit on 10-12-2014 by Tucket because: clarity

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Please add to the ongoing discussion here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed. Thank you.

new topics

top topics

join