It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Teleportation Reaches Farthest Distance Yet

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: mash3d
Ya exactly, but hey its a show, why shoot a missile at the other ship, fire photon torpedos mister spok and all that jive. When you can literally transport or teleport it right in front of it or right inside enemy ships, it would basically cut down on 40% of star trek scenes you know seeing as therey always firing some torpedoes somewhere.

Or how about ships altogether? A human being if you think about it down to the molecule and DNA and atom is just as complicated or if not more so then the ships they had in that universe, so technically if you could teleport humans and things around like it was nothing? Well what is the use of flying places? You wouldn't even need to fly to some other planets, why do so when you could just set up trasporters on them and beem or create yourself there instantly, well you could transport yourself and anything you wanted there to any planet out there basically in a flash.

Lets just say it would completely put out of business the transport business in the star trek universe, and pretty much everything else on the show and all if you were to base the show on just one tiny gadget they had a transporter or teleporter or whatever they called it, beam me up Scotty. It would also even eliminate wars they have for resources, after all you can literally make them out of thing air now, what would be the point of fighting for resources other then for #s and giggles. And also if you could recreate yourself like that at any given moment from the ground up, well you would literally and technically be or make yourself immortal, or just keep on creating yourself over and over for as long as you wanted.

But you know its just shows and movies, all of them have holes, swiss cheese holes in them if you bother to look close or even bother to look at all.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel
Actually you could, like somebody said before, AnuTyr on page 2 I believe. All you need to do is make a code based on two states of the participles which are entangled and if you make one shift to one and another so will the other no matter were it is, you dont need to even know what it all means, you just basically need to create a language and on simple things nothing even all that complicated, basically zeros and ones, one state and another.

That's all binary code is, and with that well here were talking and chatting from miles and miles away because of it. But you know by the time and even if this comes to any sort of fruition, well lets just say there will be many more applications to it then just a fun science experiment. And also it would literally change a whole hell of a lot of things we think we know about the universe, and everything else. In all I dont think its all necessarily good, humanities reach far exceeds its grasp as it is now, so why tangle things up more then they are or need to be.
edit on 12amMondayam152014f1amMon, 15 Dec 2014 00:02:21 -0600 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird
a reply to: mbkennel
Actually you could, like somebody said before, AnuTyr on page 2 I believe.
you mean in the post where he said this?

originally posted by: AnuTyr
I'm just guessing tho.

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird
All you need to do is make a code based on two states of the participles which are entangled and if you make one shift to one and another so will the other no matter were it is, you dont need to even know what it all means
The random sequence of data doesn't need to have any meaning for quantum cryptography, so you don't need to know what it means for that, but if you're trying to send meaningful data, you can't do that if you don't know what it means, can you?

you just basically need to create a language and on simple things nothing even all that complicated, basically zeros and ones, one state and another.
So even though computers already use binary 1s and 0s to operate, you really think none of the super-geniuses thought of using binary code? We use binary every day so it's naive to presume they didn't think of using binary.

We can't say faster than light communication is "impossible" as we can't prove a negative. However what we can say is that all efforts to send non-random data faster than light so far have failed. What is "transmitted" so far faster than light is only random stuff, not meaningful data. If you assign 1s and 0s that doesn't change the fact that they are random. I put "transmitted" in quotes because in some QM interpretations nothing is really transmitted at all, it's just a "correlation".

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

doubt it

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

yeah what this poster said.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Hey Bedlam,

Whats this? MEMS Adaptive Optics Enhancement of Quantum Entanglement for Secure Communication through the Atmosphere. That looks pretty cool.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
We won't be able to tell Scotty to beam us up just yet.This is a huge leap forward.

2nd line.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Well recall there were places they could not teleport on planets because of distortions/fields/etc. There might also have been distance concerns. I can't recall a scene where distance was a restriction, however.

Considering Star Trek technology is essentially magic (with large amounts of fiction) I really have no trouble accepting it. Ya, it seems to make logical sense that if they can teleport people on/off planets/ships then they could use it as a weapon or as a better means of transport, but then again, I don't think things in science are always clear cut.

The thing that bothered me about STar Trek was the people. The way they act and do things is tooooooo 20th century. I think there'll be more gender bending and all manners of genetic technologies and things which would turn our sense of morality upside down.
edit on 15-12-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
Well recall there were places they could not teleport on planets because of distortions/fields/etc. There might also have been distance concerns. I can't recall a scene where distance was a restriction, however.

Considering Star Trek technology is essentially magic (with large amounts of fiction) I really have no trouble accepting it. Ya, it seems to make logical sense that if they can teleport people on/off planets/ships then they could use it as a weapon or as a better means of transport, but then again, I don't think things in science are always clear cut.

The thing that bothered me about STar Trek was the people. The way they act and do things is tooooooo 20th century. I think there'll be more gender bending and all manners of genetic technologies and things which would turn our sense of morality upside down.
generally they had to be in orbital distance to transport. federation transporter tech and really all transporter tech in the alpha quadrant (until the abrams retcon: earth to Qronos) was quite distance limited. there were extra-galactic powers that had extremely long range transporter tech. such as the civilization Gary Seven worked for. they could teleport agents into the alpha quadrant from the magellanic clouds if i recall correctly.
edit on 15-12-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701
Also shields had to be down on both ships generally to transport anything, although they conveniently circumvent this in some episodes.

There're also transport inhibitors and scattering fields.

Here's an itneresting discussion about it:
c2.com - Star Trek Transporters In Combat...

And all of this is fiction anyway, so... And it's also extremely easy to have plot holes in fiction - places where it doesn't make sense.
edit on 15-12-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I say, very unscientifically, that NO information is "transferred" whatsoever.

Reading popular-scientific descriptions of Quantum Entanglement I can't see where it is shown how information regarding say particle A is "transferred" to affect particle B.

When we already KNOW that two particles must *always* spin in opposite directions to each other (to make a total of zero), then a "data transfer" is already implied before any measurement is made, means..the entanglement (of course) exists before any measurement. It does not matter what state we measure when we look at particle A, particle B *must* always have the opposite state of A.

Where does this alleged information transfer happen? Someone please explain?

>>
Subatomic particles stay connected no matter how far apart they are. When one particle is disturbed, it instantly affects the entangled partner. It's impossible to tell the state of either particle until one is directly measured, but measuring one particle instantly determines the state of its partner."

How strange that this should be so. It is a mind boggling discovery.
>>

How do we know that it was the measurement which affected the particle? Particles were already entangled. Somehow it is implied that information is transferred ("instantly") the moment when a measurement is made...but information doesn't need to be exchanged/transferred since the particles are already entangled. Thus of course "instantly". Nothing is/needs to be transferred. Do you see what I mean to say?

(I blindly pick a red ball out of two balls where we know one is red and the other black. If I find I picked the red one, the other will be black or vice versa, I determine this the instant I look at the ball I picked. I can do this also across the universe and then "measure", ie. perceive the truth that the other ball is the black one, across 900 light years in an instant. It's still not magic, unless I see something wrong here.)
edit on 12/15/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I must be missing something here on how a language or type of code could not be based off of what happens between two entangled photons. Then I google quantum entanglement for communication and tons of stuff comes up and it looks like it's well on it's way in the military circles.

I would investigate into the guy Bedlam referred to in an earlier post. Worked for me. Tons of stuff regarding quantum entanglement for communication comes up.

And also look up Victor Klimov from Los Alamos. What he's developed is really important for future tech. Sure looks like he's developed nearly "free" energy and the military is using it for god knows what.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

NO information is "transferred" whatsoever

Information is transferred but its not teleported over the ether nor is it instantaneous in the layman's sense. Quantum teleportation is the same as putting two playing cards, queen of diamonds and queen of spades into two different envelopes and sending one envelope to Mars on a rocket ship. When we open the envelope on earth and find its the queen of diamonds we know instantly at faster the speed of light that the card on mars must be the queen of spades. Not the same mind blowing stuff that the media tries to portray but like Schrödinger's Cat Paradox its all about when information is realized.

www.askamathematician.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

The random sequence of data doesn't need to have any meaning for quantum cryptography, so you don't need to know what it means for that, but if you're trying to send meaningful data, you can't do that if you don't know what it means, can you?

Offcourse you can. Just because they cant, does not mean it can not be done. But hey what are you arguing about, this is all just an experiment to see what and were and if anything happens, and even if it was shown that it could do exactley as it says, well it still will be a long time before they can make sense of it. And even then! Well I also believe then it may be best that nobody knew.

So even though computers already use binary 1s and 0s to operate, you really think none of the super-geniuses thought of using binary code? We use binary every day so it's naive to presume they didn't think of using binary.

What are you talking about. I said why its so likely to happen, because binary is already everywere, even in nature, even in DNA code. So ya! Offcourse they thought of it, and offcourse they are thinking of it, and offcourse if they ever get it to do anything that is what they will try to do with it...That is unless you think this is teleportation?

We can't say faster than light communication is "impossible" as we can't prove a negative. However what we can say is that all efforts to send non-random data faster than light so far have failed. What is "transmitted" so far faster than light is only random stuff, not meaningful data. If you assign 1s and 0s that doesn't change the fact that they are random. I put "transmitted" in quotes because in some QM interpretations nothing is really transmitted at all, it's just a "correlation".

Light itself is data.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite
Unless they can somehow distort or shut down areas so nobody would be able to beam aboard then a lot of battle scenes make little sense.

Imagine this, a klingon ship attacks the enterprise. So what do they do on the show? Shields up and photon torpedoes ready right? Now imagine instead of putting the photon torpedos in the arming bay they take it up to the teleporter room or whatever. They set it down on it, and then they beam it already straight into the ship.

So imagine some klingon captain just sitting there ordering the little klingonians to attack then all of a sudden, right on top of him this huge missile just suddenly appears and falls on his lap. What would likely be his response then. I am guessing, he would probably say something along the lines of "oh this is peculiar" And then...BOOOM. End of the epic space fight and likely that particular episode.

But ya! Again its a show its not made to make sense, its made to entertain.

Lets just say that if and when it ever comes to that and we end up traveling across the cosmos in giant space ships. Well i do not think it will be some humans and others who look like they are a variation of mutated humans. Things tend to get really bizzare in reality, I mean really really bizarre. And like the saying goes “The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.” Reality generally is far more crazy and bizarre then fiction is.

So ya if the human race ever finds itself flying the cosmos with fellow space aliens, well it could be a lot more far out then we are capable of imagining right now. After all can you picture what it would be like for a chimp to imagine if he had to sail across the sea on a ship, it would not only be mind boggling but impossible for said chimp to even imagine it or even contemplate it. The difference there in may be the same for us.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701
Ya exactly it seems more about whittling down the possibilities then anything else, but if you could get one particle to react a certain way and instantaneously its partner across the milky way also changed. Well that would say something to somebody who is watching it and know or maybe expecting a change.

So ya in that respect it could be a faster then light communication, but like I said in another thread. That would mean that things are more bizarre out there in the cosmos and about matter itself then we are lead to believe. And so that's were the experiments part comes in and to see just how far apart you can stretch this thing, to sort of say.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

And that's exactly how i see it transferring (or teleporting) information instantly and faster than light.. Simplest example is i have my half of the entangled photon here on earth and u have the other half somewhere in the andromeda galaxy. My half spins up and yours down (simplified i know) and you know that i will change the spin on my half to signal you to, lets say, come home. You have a device constantly measuring your photons spin and it tells you when it changes to 'up'. I change mine, yours instantly flips and bam! Instant, faster-than-light, message (information) for you to come home. Ive thought about this many times. I encourage any skeptism, please lol

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: b2dddub2
Well this seems more like glend said, and I quote.

Quantum teleportation is the same as putting two playing cards, queen of diamonds and queen of spades into two different envelopes and sending one envelope to Mars on a rocket ship. When we open the envelope on earth and find its the queen of diamonds we know instantly at faster the speed of light that the card on mars must be the queen of spades.

So far its that, but the fact that they react to each other at all says more. Which is probably the whole point of this whole quantum entanglement experiments thing there doing. And yes its the same as code, if you know one is a zero, then the other must be a one. Not quite like computer or DNA code, but more like mores code so far.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook there is nothing valid to the link as it would be best to describe that both the device and the test referenced in the link is a scam of twisted theory....because they(we the humans) have much to remember before the quantum realm is visible ,,,in other words you can not define a 3d space with a 2d process...no matter how many cores... The entire history and advancement of the electronic space at any scale is presently the result of but one of the variables need to approach quantum space---if you can not approach the space you can not observe the space if you can observer the space it is impossible to determine speed therefore without a defined boundary of any space... any measure is impossible --translated historical data shows -there are no less that 12 more pieces of the quantum core that must emerge in to the use of human understanding in the real world as something other than parallel computing as it is known from before our time the only way to define the quantum chip core design is to accept that which we do not....... without a spherical chip design the very idea of anything stealing the use of the word quantum is a crime against the art of computational sciences...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join