It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressional spending deal blocks pot legalization in D.C.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Now there's a comment one could assign to a junkie. Follow the dope...LMAO.

Childish retort... I thought you were a grandfather not a 12 year old?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Take a look at motor vehicle accidents involving marijuana in Colorado. The numbers have spiked since the law took affect.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Take a look at motor vehicle accidents involving marijuana in Colorado. The numbers have spiked since the law took affect.

How are those drivers being tested?

Is it the new and improved "we can tell if you used within a few hours" or is it the old "you have used within the last month therefore you tested positive" test?

Also, care to provide a source? Or did you just make that up?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

I'm wondering the same things myself.

Also what are the rates for people in accidents while on prescription pills? How is that working out? Are they testing for that too? They aren't? Why not? Marijuana is such a concern...

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
O.o
edit on 0 f2014Thu, 11 Dec 2014 09:23:31 -06009201431 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Until people start REALLY standing up, by the hundreds of thousands, and demand that these POS "politicians" uphold and honor the Constitution and Bill of Rights, this type of thing will continue to happen.

They're essentially saying "your vote doesn't matter" to everyone who went out and voted yes that day. This country has turned into a complete and utter disgrace and it just keeps getting worse.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

That's 'sounds' great. We overlap. Workplace, highways, family members. Addiction. It affects all of us.

My life experience says balance is key. Not unrestrained freedom. The very fact that people end up in jail for doing doobies says to me that the need/compulsion that drove those people to do so despite those very well publicized consequences speaks volumes as to the power of drugs....

"Doing doobies?" Who says that? I cannot take anyone seriously that refers to the consumption of Cannabis as "doing doobies!"

Cannabis is a plant, NOT a drug. It is a plant that has scientifically been proven to treat and manage a whole host of medical ailments. From seizures to MS, from PTSD to diabetes.

And, before you retort with some snide remark that I am some sort of "doobie doer" I assure you, I am not. I am an experienced medical professional that has thoroughly researched the subject and who fully supports the legalization of Cannabis, even if it is only for medical use. Personally, I feel it should be legal for both medical and recreational use as it is a much safer alternative to alcohol.

Your claims about Cannabis are false and only showcase uneducated thinking...

Reefer Madness, so to speak.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Actually, you're 100% wrong...Highway fatalities are at "near historic lows" according to the actual data.

Washington Post

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I read nwtrucker's posts and am reminded of an experience many years ago. I was a medical professional working in a large regional medical center. One of my responsibilities was drawing blood from hard-to-draw patients. I was attending a patient around 6am when a nurse came into the room to give the other patient pre-op medication. He asked what she was going to give him and she replied, "Demerol. It will relax you and help with discomfort afterwards". The patient replied, "Oh okay. Just as long as you're not trying to give me any of that marijuana." I nearly pee'd myself.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

Lol that is funny (and kind of sad at the same time). Some people hate it and don't even know what it is.
edit on 11-12-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Surely you must realize that those tests are largely ineffective at determining whether or not one was under the influence of cannabis at the time of the accident, correct?

This is because evidence of cannabis usage remains in the body for quite some time (~30 days in most cases) and therefore is not a reliable factor in determining impairment at the time of the accident.

So, in essence, that data is hardly useful in pinning accidents on cannabis users. Its just more anti-pot propaganda.

Kallisti

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck

Actually, you're 100% wrong...Highway fatalities are at "near historic lows" according to the actual data.

Washington Post

Pesky hard data...well, if debates are won by anecdote and hearsay, the anti-legalization crowd has us beat...no doubt about it...you just have to ignore actual data, but they seem to have no problem doing that.
edit on 11-12-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

This is why voting is a crock of crap. The majority of people want something....but are ignored to favor big business.

Either demand direct democracy or shut up.

Voting and our government are BS. Complete BS.

Dont validate an invalid system. Dont vote

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Ok ok folks. It looks like Congress didn't completely piss on the voters. There was a victory for the pro-marijuana crowd.

Congress Hands A Mixed Bag to Marijuana Movement

First the good news for reformers: the proposed budget would prohibit law enforcement officials from using federal funds to prosecute patients or legal dispensaries in the 32 states, plus the District of Columbia, that passed some form of medical-marijuana legalization. The provision was crafted by a bipartisan group of representatives and passed the Republican-controlled House in May for the first time in seven tries. If passed into law, it would mark a milestone for the movement, restricting raids against dispensaries and inoculating patients from being punished for an activity that is legal where they live but in violation of federal law.

“The enactment of this legislation will mark the first time in decades that the federal government has curtailed its oppressive prohibition of marijuana, and has instead taken an approach to respect the many states that have permitted the use of medical marijuana to some degree,” Rep. Dana Rohrabacher said in a statement to TIME. The California Republican’s work on the issue reflects the strange coalition that has sprung up to support cannabis reform as the GOP’s libertarian wing gains steam and voters’ views evolve.

That IS good news. In fact that is great news. Finally there is official legislation preventing the feds from cracking down on people taking marijuana for medicine. So not all is lost here.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I'd be a lot happier if the title read
"Pot legalization supporters block Congressional Spending. "

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508
I read nwtrucker's posts and am reminded of an experience many years ago. I was a medical professional working in a large regional medical center. One of my responsibilities was drawing blood from hard-to-draw patients. I was attending a patient around 6am when a nurse came into the room to give the other patient pre-op medication. He asked what she was going to give him and she replied, "Demerol. It will relax you and help with discomfort afterwards". The patient replied, "Oh okay. Just as long as you're not trying to give me any of that marijuana." I nearly pee'd myself.

That made me LOL. I can imagine a patient saying something like that. Highly addictive opioids straight into my veins? Yes, PLEASE!!

Marijuana doobies? OMG! NO, NO, it's a sin-sin-sin, it's illegal, and just SO, SO, SO WRONG!

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Ok ok folks. It looks like Congress didn't completely piss on the voters. There was a victory for the pro-marijuana crowd.

Congress Hands A Mixed Bag to Marijuana Movement

First the good news for reformers: the proposed budget would prohibit law enforcement officials from using federal funds to prosecute patients or legal dispensaries in the 32 states, plus the District of Columbia, that passed some form of medical-marijuana legalization. The provision was crafted by a bipartisan group of representatives and passed the Republican-controlled House in May for the first time in seven tries. If passed into law, it would mark a milestone for the movement, restricting raids against dispensaries and inoculating patients from being punished for an activity that is legal where they live but in violation of federal law.

“The enactment of this legislation will mark the first time in decades that the federal government has curtailed its oppressive prohibition of marijuana, and has instead taken an approach to respect the many states that have permitted the use of medical marijuana to some degree,” Rep. Dana Rohrabacher said in a statement to TIME. The California Republican’s work on the issue reflects the strange coalition that has sprung up to support cannabis reform as the GOP’s libertarian wing gains steam and voters’ views evolve.

That IS good news. In fact that is great news. Finally there is official legislation preventing the feds from cracking down on people taking marijuana for medicine. So not all is lost here.

"Yes, in May of this year, the House passed the amendment, which was introduced by Congressmen Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) and Sam Farr (D-CA). Last night, the amendment was included in the annual spending bill that Congress is expected to pass today or tomorrow. It will then be the law through September 30, at which time it would need to be renewed each fall." - MPP Press Release

I believe the local DC politicians will eventually win this battle. From the same press release "the ballot initiative that 70% of D.C. voters passed on November 4 will be allowed to move forward. This initiative — which removes penalties for adult possession and home cultivation — would take effect in approximately March (unless Congress affirmatively blocks the initiative)." The Congress still has to block another ballot initiative, which come March they will have an agenda that will not focus on local DC politics.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck

Until people start REALLY standing up, by the hundreds of thousands, and demand that these POS "politicians" uphold and honor the Constitution and Bill of Rights, this type of thing will continue to happen.

They're essentially saying "your vote doesn't matter" to everyone who went out and voted yes that day. This country has turned into a complete and utter disgrace and it just keeps getting worse.

but hey!...you can go out and protest...peaceably and with permission, of course....

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

DRE tests are valid for under the influence driving.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

DRE tests don't identify the substance. They just identify that the person is intoxicated. How about refuting the evidence posted by lovebeck (and me) that contradicts everything you said?
edit on 11-12-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join