It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressional spending deal blocks pot legalization in D.C.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

The District will be prohibited from legalizing marijuana for the much of the coming year under a spending deal reached Tuesday between top Senate Democrats and House Republicans to fund the federal government through next September.

Congressional spending deal blocks pot legalization in D.C.

Why am I not surprised? The people speak, and the politicians don't listen. As usual. What a crock...

The development — upending voter-approved Initiative 71 — shocked elected D.C. leaders, advocates for marijuana legalization and civil liberties groups who earlier in the day had grown confident that the measure would be at least partially protected while Democrats still controlled the Senate.

However, with Republicans set to take control of the chamber in January, the defeat suggested that the will of D.C. voters — who approved marijuana legalization last month by a margin of more than 2 to 1 — may be suspended indefinitely.

2 to 1 support! How do you ignore that much popular opinion? Don't answer that. The answer is money. These guys are bought and paid for by the pharmaceutical industry and for profit prison industry (gotta fill those beds somehow).

Late Tuesday, Eidinger said marijuana advocates were organizing a protest that would begin Wednesday evening at the Justice Department and march to Capitol Hill with the potential for several advocates to seek arrest.

“I’m ready for some civil disobedience. If you’re going to overturn an election, you might as well say something before it’s done.”

The developments capped a roller-coaster 24 hours in the worst possible way for advocates of the District’s marijuana measure.

Late Monday, congressional aides had floated the possibility that the spending deal would include a provision sought by conservative House Republicans to block the voter-approved measure.

By midday Tuesday, it appeared negotiators had found middle ground to legalize possession of marijuana but to allow no further action by D.C. officials to create a regulatry system for legal sales and taxation of the plant.

But many warned that the partial constraints might prove to be a worse outcome, potentially leading to chaos for lawmakers and police officers trying to rewrite and enforce city drug laws.

This is going to bite these politicians in the ass. The blow back on this is going to get big.

D.C. now issues a $25 citation for marijuana possession, but under Monday night’s vote, the penalty may revert to one of greater severity.

Mendelson, reached late Tuesday, said he was dismayed Congress would send the city’s drug laws in reverse. “It’s bad enough that they were setting their sights on legalization, but for them to go further and undo decriminalization — it’s irrational when over a third of states have done so.”

So not only is marijuana legalization being stalled, but the decriminalization measure ALREADY ON THE BOOKS is being undone.

The rider language mirrored an amendment introduced over the summer by Rep. Andy Harris, (R-Md.), the most outspoken congressional critic of D.C. legalization.

Earlier Tuesday, he predicted that any deal betwen Democrats and Republicans would signal widespread skepticism for marijuana legalization for recreational use.

Following a speech at the conservative Heritage Foundation, which was interrupted repeatedly by marijuana advocates, Harris said a deal would “show fairly broad-based support in Congress against legalization.”

Maryland’s only House Republican also said he had no qualms about interfering with the results of the Nov. 4 election. On that day, voters in Alaska, the District and Oregon chose to legalize marijuana, but only the District’s vote was subject to oversight by Congress.

“The fact is the Constitution gives Congress the ultimate oversight about what happens in the federal district,” Harris said.

Last I checked, Congress was beholden to the people, not themselves. I leave you with this from the bottom of the article:

“It is disheartening and frustrating to learn that once again the District of Columbia is being used as a political pawn by the Congress,” Grosso said. “To undermine the vote of the people — taxpayers — does not foster or promote the “limited government” stance House Republicans claim they stand for; it’s uninformed paternalistic meddling.”

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

2 to 1 support! How do you ignore that much popular opinion? Don't answer that. The answer is money. These guys are bought and paid for by the pharmaceutical industry and for profit prison industry (gotta fill those beds somehow).

This says it all.

Big Pharma controls the lot.
They poison the people into a position of illness and the money flows.

So much for democracy.

S&F.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I think "taxation without representation" fits the bill nicely here. This proves your vote means absolutely nothing to these asshats in DC.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

It's such an obvious slap in the face to the public when popular support for the bill is close to a super majority and it STILL gets blocked by the politicians. I mean could they make it anymore obvious that they don't care what the public wants?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Washington D.C. needs to move for Statehood.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Why am I not surprised? Republicans are all about "state's rights" I thought. The will of the people and liberty and all of that. Less laws. Smaller government.

All we need now is the DOJ inquiry into the Garner murder to come back as "nothing to see here, folks".

I dont know DC cops. But I know if they are smart, they will enforce the will of the people over the will of Congress.

The mayor and the council should recognize the vote and tell their officers to act accordingly.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

DC is not a state - Its a district and as such has different criteria when it comes to doing things states can do. Congress is responsible for DC's budget.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

DC is not a state - Its a district and as such has different criteria when it comes to doing things states can do. Congress is responsible for DC's budget.

I'm well aware of the history of D.C. and it's unique status. It had a vote. Yet that vote is not being enacted into law. If I had said "district's rights" would that have made my point any different? No.

I'm guessing D.C. residents feel a little like the Apache nation right now.

Whatever happened to the "no pork" screamers? Looks like their checks cleared.
edit on 10-12-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

and because its a federal district and not a state the vote was meaningless. Trying to bitch about a vote being ignored when people don't understand what a district is goes to the root of this issue.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

and because its a federal district and not a state the vote was meaningless. Trying to bitch about a vote being ignored when people don't understand what a district is goes to the root of this issue.

The voice of the people is meaningless?
Since it's federal, your tax dollars went toward that "meaningless" ballot issue. Why even let them vote for anything if it is all "meaningless"?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Stop seeing what you want.

I said the vote for DC is meaningless because it is a district and not a state.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I don't think this has anything to do with the private prisons. I just recently discovered that its not the occupancy rate that's guaranteed, its the money that is. So if they don't fill the beds the prison gets paid anyway. Less people in their prison would amount to a higher profit margin.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Late Monday, congressional aides had floated the possibility that the spending deal would include a provision sought by conservative House Republicans to block the voter-approved measure.

By midday Tuesday, it appeared negotiators had found middle ground to legalize possession of marijuana but to allow no further action by D.C. officials to create a regulatry system for legal sales and taxation of the plant.

I'm confused, that says that they are going to legalize it? "But allow no further action" Confusion cleared....

Under a spending “rider” included in the 1,600-page bill distributed late Tuesday, neither part would be allowed.

edit on 10122014 by ChefSlug because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ChefSlug

Its the equivalent to DC being forced by the courts to change its gun laws.

Which is to say a process that is to expensive and time consuming will exist to prevent implementation.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I don't think this has anything to do with the private prisons. I just recently discovered that its not the occupancy rate that's guaranteed, its the money that is. So if they don't fill the beds the prison gets paid anyway. Less people in their prison would amount to a higher profit margin.

The Top Five Special Interest Groups Lobbying to Keep Marijuana Illegal

1.) Police Unions: Police departments across the country have become dependent on federal drug war grants to finance their budget. In March, we published a story revealing that a police union lobbyist in California coordinated the effort to defeat Prop 19, a ballot measure in 2010 to legalize marijuana, while helping his police department clients collect tens of millions in federal marijuana-eradication grants. And it’s not just in California. Federal lobbying disclosures show that other police union lobbyists have pushed for stiffer penalties for marijuana-related crimes nationwide.

2.) Private Prisons Corporations: Private prison corporations make millions by incarcerating people who have been imprisoned for drug crimes, including marijuana. As Republic Report’s Matt Stoller noted last year, Corrections Corporation of America, one of the largest for-profit prison companies, revealed in a regulatory filing that continuing the drug war is part in parcel to their business strategy. Prison companies have spent millions bankrolling pro-drug war politicians and have used secretive front groups, like the American Legislative Exchange Council, to pass harsh sentencing requirements for drug crimes.

3.) Alcohol and Beer Companies: Fearing competition for the dollars Americans spend on leisure, alcohol and tobacco interests have lobbied to keep marijuana out of reach. For instance, the California Beer & Beverage Distributors contributed campaign contributions to a committee set up to prevent marijuana from being legalized and taxed.

4.) Pharmaceutical Corporations: Like the sin industries listed above, pharmaceutical interests would like to keep marijuana illegal so American don’t have the option of cheap medical alternatives to their products. Howard Wooldridge, a retired police officer who now lobbies the government to relax marijuana prohibition laws, told Republic Report that next to police unions, the “second biggest opponent on Capitol Hill is big PhRMA” because marijuana can replace “everything from Advil to Vicodin and other expensive pills.”

5.) Prison Guard Unions: Prison guard unions have a vested interest in keeping people behind bars just like for-profit prison companies. In 2008, the California Correctional Peace Officers Association spent a whopping $1 million to defeat a measure that would have “reduced sentences and parole times for nonviolent drug offenders while emphasizing drug treatment over prison.”

Private prisons are higher on the list than pharmaceutical corporations.
edit on 10-12-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I am in a black rage over this right now. I can't even formulate a cognitive reply. Such BS!

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Colorado is Giving $2 Million to a Private Prison Company for Nonexistent Inmates

When jurisdictions contract with a private prison corporation to run their correctional facilities, these governments must promise to keep the jail or prison population at a certain capacity. If the prison is not filled to the capacity for which the parties contracted, the government must pay the corporation as if those beds were filled.

This would seem to be counterintuitive for a society. Logic dictates that the state would want a lower crime rate but it also would not want to waste taxpayer money by paying for unused beds. Logic often does not have a place in billion dollar businesses. These private prison corporations claim to be cost savers for the state (a claim which is disputed). If there is no inmate that the prison has to provide the minimal care including food, medical care, and protection in the form of corrections officers, then the empty bed the state is paying for is pure profit.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

And so it is a double whammy. Corruption on all sides.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It's still illegal federally.

All the crap going on that needs fixing and the pot heads push this agenda.

Pretty powerful proof that legalizing it may be the wrong route to go

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
It's still illegal federally.

Which may be changed soon. The momentum is building for this to happen.

All the crap going on that needs fixing and the pot heads push this agenda.

Oh sorry that we aren't talking about YOUR pet issue that is wrong with the country, but I certainly can trace MANY injustices in this country back to marijuana (as well as drugs in general) being illegal. I've spoken on these forums extensively about the damage the war on drugs has not only done to our country but to our neighbors to the south which fuels the illegal immigration issue.

Pretty powerful proof that legalizing it may be the wrong route to go

This just reads like a snide remark but I'll address it anyways. Legalizing marijuana is the RIGHT way to go. It is about personal freedom to choose to put what you want in your body without the government telling you it is ok. A little thing called personal responsibility. The only proof that the OP is, is proof that our politicians in Congress are completely corrupt.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join