It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Forgotten Origins Trilogy - local ATS author!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:49 AM

I started a thread about my writing process over a year ago, and it would appear that the only people to comment on it no longer have active accounts.
I have been on ATS for many years, taken part in several writing contests/debates here and I honestly feel that it helped fuel my desire to complete this project!

Since I recently completed the trilogy, I wanted to share the new info with active members! I would love to share my self-publishing experience with other aspiring authors and offer any help possible. I have come to find that social networking is key!

I have my three books now available in both ebook and paperback format. After experimenting a bit, I have settled on Amazon and KDP (Subsidiary of Amazon) for the book and CreateSpace (another subsidiary of Amazon) for my platforms. Yes, Amazon has a monopoly, but why fight it? This permits my book to be available in numerous countries and is enrolled in programs that they are free to some (Kindle Unlimited)

I finally broke down this past year and invested in professionally designed covers. Yes, it is worth it. I can NOT stress enough how important the cover is. Second is editing. Even if you can't afford a professional editor, find as many people as you can to read/edit/suggest for you.

So, aside from sharing my books with you, I want to open this up to questions about the self-publishing and social media process. Please...ask away!

Now..onto the story. It is an epic sci-fi/dystopian tale. It involves ancient gods, an alien plague, crystal skulls and Nephilim. Yes....I even give ATS a nod (with the head honcho's approval

I can just about guarantee that any ATS member will get a kick out of the intricate/fast-paced plot line. It is labeled as the Young Adult genre, but it is really suitable for all ages and although the main character is a sixteen-year-old girl, some of my biggest fans are grown men.

I would love feedback and to share the process with you!

Link to trilogy on Amazon

Book #1 Bloodline

Bloodline is a fast-paced, thrilling story with an intricate plot and intriguing characters. The surprising twists will keep you guessing and the suspense will make it hard for you to put the book down!
Sixteen-year-old Alex has always suspected her father’s death wasn’t random, but she never guessed how deep the mystery runs or what it involves. When a rare meteor shower is followed by a highly contagious infection, the people she once knew so well start acting like they have a similar purpose that doesn’t include her. Alex can now only rely on her friend Chris and loyal dog Baxter as she plunges into a strange, new world predestined since ancient times. Wandering the mountains of the Pacific Northwest, deciphering cryptic messages left by her father, desperately searching for a cure-will Alex have the courage and faith to even survive?

edit on 10-12-2014 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-12-2014 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 01:10 AM
a reply to: westcoast

Congrats on finishing your project! Looks really interesting too.

I'm just about to start writing a novel myself (one I intend to actually finish this time lol) and really appreciate any advice you have. Like, where did you find a professional to do the cover art? What is createspace?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 01:38 AM
Well done, know how you feel.

It is an achievement to be proud of.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:27 AM
a reply to: pirhanna

Hi there!

Best advice I can give you is to take the time to write a really good outline. It's hard to get to the end if you don't know your destination first. At least, that is the only thing that works for me. Others don't use outlines, but if you've had issues with finishing, that might be what you need.

I use Mel at melchelle designs: Cover designer

I found her by look at other books in my genre and picking some with covers that I like. Then I looked at the credit for the design and backtracked to their websites. She was the most reasonable, and I love her work.

Createspace is a platform for creating a paperback book. Totally free. It takes time to figure it out all out, but it's worth it: Createspace

There are several other self-publishing sites out there, but I've had the best luck with them. Here is the KDP site They are the Amazon co. that you can use to create your ebook. Again, it takes some time and brain power to figure out all of the formatting, etc. but it's worth it in the end. (I think)

good luck! Let me know if there are any specific questions you have!

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:57 AM
Hiya. First of all congrats on your achievement!
Was wondering if you could help me out with something. I'm currently writing and I have an outline, a good idea of how everything is supposed to work etc. Problem is I'm having trouble connecting my scenes. I've written bits and pieces as well as longer pieces/chapters, I'm finding it hard to fit them together in a seamless kind of way iykwim. I can't seem to write in order of plotline. I always end up writing in a haphazard kind of way

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 08:58 AM

Excellent work and congratulations!

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:38 PM
a reply to: christmaspig

I can relate to your problem. I have numerous books that I started over the years, but they became so convoluted that I just got so lost, I couldn't finish them. For me, it was due to not having a thorough outline. Some people can get away with writing without one (like Stephen King), but not me!

Now, I had always written out an outline. Or, at least I thought I did. It was usually a rush job, because...well, I was so excited to start writing the story! Little did I know, that there is a whole lot more to an outline than just jotting down your ideas and a rough plot. I spent over a month on the outline for my first book, Bloodline. I found that for me, the key was to not rush it. I also had to research numerous aspects of the story, because of all the historical, legend and conspiracy theories it included. (I wanted it to be as realistic as possible). On my last book, Descent, I spent over three months on the outline. Seriously. This was partly due to my getting hit on the freeway and suffering from whiplash (so I couldn't sit at the computer to write) but I thought about, dreamed and plotted for weeks. It wouldn't be anywhere near the story it is, if I hadn't done that. Sure, I basically knew what was going to happen before I even started the outline, but by allowing myself time to dwell on it, it expanded, morphed and grew into something much better.

I will share the website with you that I have been using for how to write a good outline: outline directions Maybe I'm wrong, and you already know this stuff, but it was a big surprise to me,and I was simply amazed at how it helped me.

I also researched the parameters for the genre. For example, depending on whether it's a romance, drama, action/adventure or scifi, determines what the accepted length is. Of course, you can ignore the standard and do whatever you want, if you have no intentions of soliciting an agent...but there is a reason why it's a standard. It's what the readers expect and look for. If you put out an adult fiction novel that's only 30,000 words, people might read it but they certainly aren't going to want to pay much for it and they will complain if you try and pass it off as a novel, rather than a short-story with a .99 cent price tag.

If you write a love story that is 150,000 words long...ugh. Good luck with that one. WAY too long. A publisher wouldn't even look at it. It would be assumed that about half of it is unnecessary fluff (and they would probably be right).

I determined that I needed to keep it between 50,000 and 80,000 words for my first book in the young adult/scifi genre. Even more, I set a goal of 2,000 words per chapter. This is important for the genre, because of a short attention span. Readers of this genre expect a somewhat easy read, with quick chapters. There's a lot more to it, but read through the link, it explains a lot.

I hope that this helps! If you are at the point with your story that you have various chapters written that don't seem to tie together, would probably be MUCH better off to re-do your outline so that it's more complete and you know how you are moving from one scene to the next before you start....and re-write it. Because if YOU are confused, I guarantee you that your reader will be too and they won't finish the book. It would be worth it!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:38 PM
Reading this now. And have always wanted to do something similar. Thought of graphic novel, manga style, almost more like a magazine in that it might continue a main story then branch into a couple of shorter ones, and even take on others. Now, if that was done self publishing, or even if not me, one of my artistic sons pursued this, they have publishing where you can order as few or as many as you wish made up. Is there far less quality that way?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:41 PM
a reply to: Unity_99

You know, what you are describing is being done by some, in a sense and if it's done right, I think it can work quite well.

One thing to consider, is to do the larger, graphic novel and then set it in the price point of 2.99-3.99 (for the ebook) Then, for the subsequent, shorter stories you could price them at .99. The more of those smaller, .99 stories you have, the more likely you are to pull readers back to the main novel for the higher price point. It's a good marketing ploy and a lot of readers (especially of graphic novels) enjoy the shorter, easier reads.

There are SO many options out there now. I would start with finding the right program (maybe even for free, on-line) to help format the novel. It would be important to get those images set up right. You would definitely want to go through a book print-on-demand, like CreateSpace and create the physical book counterpart to the ebook. Are you in the US? I'm not sure how all of these platforms transfer over for other countries, but I know that Amazon has been expanding that.

Good luck!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 06:26 PM

Thanks much! I appreciate the links and input. I think the big factor for me not finishing novels in the past is my not liking what I wrote. It's been quite a few years now, and I think I have a better grasp of what I need to be doing and improved writing skills.

These days my big hurdle is usually focus. Maybe it's the full on internet age, maybe it's getting older, I don't know, but focus is difficult. Well, focus, and that I have a band that is doing rather well [for being less than 2 years old], and it requires a lot of my time, creativity and attention. That said, I just began this project and wrote my first two paragraphs -- gotta start somewhere right?

Thanks for the inspiration.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 06:38 PM
Thank you so much. I actually want to call you yoda. I did rush through the outline because I was so excited at the idea I had. I've had scenes suddenly come into my head and I've written them down only to find I have lots of pieces and no clear definition of where the hell it's going. So yeah, I'll concentrate on writing a thorough outline and then see what I can do with the stuff I've already written. I need to do research too, I'm just finding it difficult finding the time, plus my laptop is broken right now so I'm doing everything on my tab. It's annoying and time consuming.
One of the problems I have is that I'm messing around with religious theory. I'm keeping some of th widely accepted beliefs whilst turning others on their heads and its difficult to keep it all in line. Trying to make it believable whilst incorporating obviously mythical aspects and screwing with organised religion is more difficult than I first imagined. Who'd have thought?

Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it to refer back to

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 07:35 PM
This is the best thread of 2014❤ I will be reading it !

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:21 AM
a reply to: pirhanna

That's great! Taking that first step is always exciting.

It really helped me to come up with as much of a routine as possible. I'm fortunate to have a nice space to have to myself for writing, and I tend to do better if I 'schedule' when I will write. (makes it harder for me to get distracted) I usually write in the morning, turn on some quiet, relaxation music, light a candle and aim to write a chapter at a time.

One other piece of advice is to not rush the editing process. It is SO important. If you can stand it, make yourself step away from it for awhile when you finish, so that you can go through and do your first 'hard' edit with a fresh eye.

Good luck!!!
edit on 11-12-2014 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:27 AM
a reply to: christmaspig

LOL...mmmm, funny you are. (I actually do a pretty good imitation)

You wouldn't believe the amounts of random pieces of paper I end up with! I have MS (very mild) but one aspect is that my short-term memory sucks. SO, I literally have to write it down or else I WILL forget it. I had to keep a cheat sheet of all of my characters names, because I'll forget them. Very frustrating.

Anyway...after I get past my 'brain storming' phase, I collect all of my odds and ends of ideas and try to work them all into the structured outline. You don't have to have to whole thing mapped out. My stories would absolutely grow as I wrote them and at some point, seem to take on a whole life of their own, to where I feel more like the narrator rather than the creator.

Religion is always messy.
I got into that a bit with my story too. I took biblical stories, Sumerian text, Egyptian lore, native American legend and threw in a little conspiracy theory just for fun. While the story concept was original, I tried to map it out with REAL history, to make it believable. It was fun.

So relax and just go where your imagination guides you!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:33 AM

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
This is the best thread of 2014❤ I will be reading it !

Ahhhh...thank you!

I hope that you enjoy it!!

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:12 AM
One thing I would say to any new writer.

What works for me may not work for you. All of those blogs that say this is how you write, are wrong. All they can really say is, this is what works for me.

I tried writing an outline once and only followed the first dot point. For me, I just sit down and write the book. At that stage, it may be a little disjointed and have a few things missing, but the basic storyline is all there.

On the second pass, I will tidy it up and add things like the weather and other small but important details.

Then I use a set method for finding errors before letting a small team of editors, all friends, find any remaining errors.

The main thing is, find out what works for you. There is no set way to write a book.

I agree with the OP, covers are important as is the synopsis.

We are all individuals. Writing is an art form and artists all work differently.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:21 AM
a reply to: pheonix358

I totally agree.

I know Stephen King never uses an outline. I just can't write that way. I kind of envy people who can. When I hear other writers say though, that they get 'lost' in the story and give up, that they are usually the type that will benefit from the structure and guidance a good outline will give them.

Then there is everything in between.
And thank God there isn't a set way...or else there wouldn't be that many good books!!

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 05:06 AM
I am currently writing two books at once. I have three books in the same timeline so it is the best way to do it. I had to make up a spread sheet just to remember all the character details.

Three computer screens running.

I love a challenge. Not a single outline, I just can't use them

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 06:26 PM
I have found Absolute Write to be an invaluable source of information and support for emerging writers. NaNoWriMo is always a good laugh too, it's a shame someone didn't organise an ATS NaNoWriMo group. Next time, maybe.

I look forward to seeing your progress, westcoast.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:08 PM
a reply to: LiveForever8

Thanks or the link! I have saved it and will have to join when I have some time to explore and contribute.

The timing has never been right me to do the NaNoWriMo but it would be a blast to organize an ATS group. I'd be game!

Thank you for the enouragement!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>