It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WA State likely to approve pilot program to charge drivers per mile

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I realize it's only a pilot program, but I think this is cause for some alarm. It appears the influx of cars getting better MPG is costing the state some money. We already have some of the highest fuel taxes in the nation.

A Road Usage Charge would eventually replace the gas tax in Washington State, which has brought in less revenue with more hybrid and electric vehicles using less gas. A GPS device would track miles driven and charge accordingly. Testing would begin next year.

There are a number of things I find objectionable about this. First of all, privacy. I don't want a GPS tracker in my car. I don't care if it only logs miles, there's still room for abuse and I already feel a little too monitored all the time. I don't see how it won't be storing data since they only want to tax you when you're on a public road. How else are they going to know?

I don't believe for a second that this will get rid of the gas tax.

So it's claimed that since cars get better mileage, they need to be able to somehow make it even for people driving hybrids. Fine, that makes some sense. So why do I have a feeling this is going to be implemented for everyone?

This is going to put a hurt on poor people that have to commute. So you have someone that can't afford a car that gets great gas mileage. They probably don't live all that close to work because it's expensive. Let's tax them twice! We all know people who use their own vehicles for work are not getting reimbursed. The alternative of raising gas prices is going to do the same thing, hurt low income people that have to commute and can't afford an economical car.

They already have a tax on electric vehicles here. Raise that if it's an issue.

What about cars that don't have an OBD port? Illegal or compromise? Again without a GPS tracker they aren't going to be able to figure out when people are traveling out of state, or even on their own property.

Can anyone think of alternatives that don't blatantly raise privacy concerns or unfairly tax those that can't really afford it? I get that some think it's only fair to tax someone who drives 20,000 a year more than someone that drives 5,000 miles, but I'm not seeing a great solution. Raise tax on luxury vehicles maybe? Still seems unfair but less of a burden.

Link

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

So they want to go back to the dark ages where only the upper class can afford the toll of travel. How far we have come back to square one...

edit on 9-12-2014 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
taxes are stealing.

They never will stop taxing anything and always create more reasons for more taxes. Its bs really

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

A Road Usage Charge would eventually replace the gas tax

No it won't. The tax will remain.

I get that some think it's only fair to tax someone who drives 20,000 a year more than someone that drives 5,000 miles

Why is it fair? They are paying more taxes thru the fuel, repairs, tolls, new cars etc.

If I work hard as a traveling salesman, pay more taxes because of what it costs me to stay working but now I have to pay more taxes than someone who walks to work so therefore pays less already?

GPS on ALL cars?

In essence they are saying that you can't go anywhere without them knowing.

It's only the fault of the people because they will keep tightening the noose as long as it's OK with everyone. The gauntlet should have been thrown years ago but it's too late it seems.

Put your hands in the air and shout "You Win!" ...Might as well get it over with quickly.

Peace

edit on 9-12-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I agree with your post and there have been a few threads over the years stating the tax was coming.. Maybe if the highway funds were used as they were intended instead of making up short falls in other programs there would not be a problem to begin with..

There is always an excuse to tax and spend more due to piss poor management IMO

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

I don't mind paying taxes. I mind it when they try to tack on other stuff or tax certain people disproportionately.

We all need to hep pay for the roads. Unless you're living in the woods somewhere and never buy anything you are using the roads. Trucking is the backbone of commerce.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Just a couple more straws.

No i welcome chaos to be honest because this world is so #ed up and humanity is anything but human.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

No it won't. The tax will remain.

I got a kick out of that. My glorious white ass the gas tax is going away. Even if it did and I personally wound up paying far less every year (I probably would pay way less since I don't drive far and my car gets bad mileage) I would be real pissed about having GPS put in my car.

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
If they just wanted more money, they would simply raise taxes.

This is about authoritarian/totalitarian control methods.

"pilot" programs collect and analyze data.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It certainly doesn't seem like it's about leveling the playing field for everyone. It clearly won't do that. I hate to say it but it does seem a little authoritarian. OK a lot.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

I don't mind paying taxes. I mind it when they try to tack on other stuff or tax certain people disproportionately.

We all need to hep pay for the roads. Unless you're living in the woods somewhere and never buy anything you are using the roads. Trucking is the backbone of commerce.

Your right! We need things that cost money but the fact that we have to pay for it is due to a flawed and primitive economic model.

If money was SPENT into the economy rather than BORROWED, then the more the government spends on things we need is more money in the economy. AND we wouldn't be carrying debt.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
If they just wanted more money, they would simply raise taxes.

This is about authoritarian/totalitarian control methods.

"pilot" programs collect and analyze data.

I agree with you for once.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
They need to have an excise tax based on the weight of the vehicle. So, for example, annually tags for a Prius cost $300, tags for a Suburban cost $3,000. They have approximated this with gas taxes, but technology is skewing who pays. Their real concern is to maintain roads, and that is largely a function of the weight of the vehicles that drive on those roads.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Grumble

That's actually not a bad idea. I see problems though. Family of 5 is going to need a larger vehicle than a family of 3. People in Eastern WA or those that live in the mountains have heavier vehicles because they need four wheel drive. Some people need pickups for work.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Thank god they spend tax dollars so responsibly....

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Full scale GPS logging is coming with or without this. Driverless vehicles are the new safety and convenience rage. GPS and other location logging systems are the backbone of driverless technology. Its not the technology that is the problem. We have to confront the abuse.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Domo1, no one minds paying taxes, for many things they use and need to support. But it's gotten out of hand. It's excessive and abusive.

We were told to develop and use cleaner fuel. We did.
We were told to use less gas. We did.
We were told to have more fuel efficient vehicles. We did.
We were encouraged to car pool, many of us did.
We traded in our nasty old junkers for new clean vehicles.

We have complied but are penalized because we followed the rules too well and the government is losing money from our clean habits.

There are already gas taxes and toll bridges, toll roads.......it will never end. I'm just glad I live where I do. I'm glad I have many vehicles, old and older. I'm glad I don't live in Washington and my state has yet to contemplate this abusive idea.

My insurance company gets mileage readings on my vehicles. I could see where they could be the go between, charging me a mileage fee and submitting said funds to the state. Canceling my insurance if I don't pay it.

edit on 9-12-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
In the state of WA I think we rank second in highest cost for gas. We already have so many taxes here. I think even liberals here are going to start saying enough is enough. Tell me something that isn't taxed in this state.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Sounds like a back door to more spying on Americans than anything. The only way to keep track of the mileage would be through a gps tracker and I am sure they wouldn't stop with a simple mileage data collector. They also would no doubt have the capability to upload or store all of your travel routes with your most visited locations as well as other driver data hidden within this little gps device.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Oh no don't get me started on the toll Bridges!!!! they said wait they said that eventually the 520 toll bridge would go away and it would just pay for itself right. Tolls are like Trolls they just stay there and metastasize.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join