It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming Isn't Causing California Drought? Report Triggers Storm

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
If you want more food, CO2 content will have to go up in the atmosphere, green house growers use methane burners inside their greenhouses to increase yield, the burners produce CO2, which is what plants need to grow, and they expel oxygen, which we need. Then we expel CO2, what the plants need.

That's silly.

Greenhouse growing is a minuscule part of agriculture. In real life, temperature and H20 are the key influences on crop yields.

Global warming changes the climate which significantly alters H20. In particular, it is very important for agriculture to get a good snowpack on mountains, which in the spring and summer, melt to supply stable and sustained water for agriculture (as opposed to rapid rain which causes flooding and damage). Increased high-altitude temperatures (which are increasing with global warming substantially faster than the average) hurt this.

Additionally too warm night-time temperatures (directly affected by increased greenhouse effect) reduces some crop growths.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I think for some Global Warming or the newer Climate Change idea puts people somewhat at ease. Nobody wants to consider another ice age or the end of this era...so folks hang on to the idea that we can stop this change..

Obviously the toxins we are putting in the sky does not help but eventually we will run into another ice age or the someone's going to pull the plug on the sun...

my real fear is that the moon will crash into the earth. you never know.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: FyreByrd

sorry about that i didn't even catch that.
here is the NBC news report that i quoted from.

Global Warming Isn't Causing California Drought? Report Triggers Storm

there is a link there that reads,"release the report, that takes you to the NOAA site. at the bottom of the page is a link to the report.
here is that link.

Causes and Predictability of the 2011 to 2014 California Drought

Thank you.

While I agree that 'global warming' is not THE cause of the California drought, it is certainly a contributing factor.

Whatever 'caused' this 'patch of warm water' (be it global warming or little green men with a ray gun) in the pacific has to be factored into the causality as well. There is only rarely a single cause of anything.

That said I'm just happy that we seem to me having a near normal season starting this year - so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: blujay

Weather might repond to our pollutants and the heat we poor out of every building.

I don't feel that mother nature is a divine essence that responds to my whims.
edit on 10-12-2014 by SmilingROB because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-12-2014 by SmilingROB because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

Co2 is not causing any temp increase that is the dumbest fake science ever sold. The CO2 levels during the Ice Age was 3 times more. This is a complete joke.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: amfirst1

Co2 is not causing any temp increase that is the dumbest fake science ever sold. The CO2 levels during the Ice Age was 3 times more.

The statement above is factually false. Ice ages were about 200 to 260 ppm CO2.

earthguide.ucsd.edu...

We are presently at 400 ppm and increasing rapidly at a geologically unique speed.

This is a complete joke.

It's like calling a brain tumor on the CAT scan a 'hoax'. It would be wonderful if it were true, but it ain't.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Co2 is not causing any temp increase that is the dumbest fake science ever sold.

How is it fake science?

It is already proven experimentally, and mathematically, that CO2 will allow radiation from the Sun to pass through and absorb into Earth, but when that radiation is re-radiated back out from Earth at a different wavelength it is absorbed by the CO2. Effectively trapping heat in the atmosphere.

Radiative forcing is a fact. The debate has been over for years. All deniers are blindly denying.
edit on 12-12-2014 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne

Co2 is not causing any temp increase that is the dumbest fake science ever sold.

How is it fake science?

It is already proven experimentally, and mathematically, that CO2 will allow radiation from the Sun to pass through and absorb into Earth, but when that radiation is re-radiated back out from Earth at a different wavelength it is absorbed by the CO2. Effectively trapping heat in the atmosphere.

Yes, but more importantly the greenhouse molecules then re-radiate infrared in random directions. Half of this is down, and half is up. So an upward going infrared photon has a chance of being absorbed and sent back down again that wouldn't happen in the absence of the greenhouse gases. The net result is that the greenhouse effect makes the sky shine in infrared brighter than it would otherwise given the identical solar input, and so the surface is warmer than otherwise. The natural greenhouse effect has been around for billions of years and is essential for determining the Earth's climate, and humans are adding more molecules to existing ones, increasing a completely known and predictable effect.

It is literally physically impossible for the climate not to change as a result.

The stratosphere (where the greenhouse effect is most important for climate) is actually cooling, as predicted by theory & experiment.

Radiative forcing is a fact. The debate has been over for years. All deniers are blindly denying.

Yes. This is a physics problem. Not a paleological record correlation problem which ignores known facts of specific mechanism.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join