It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the [snip] can't I type the Word Window??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Who ever he was he was last seen placing his straight index finger up to his mouth with the knuckle between his lips and blowing wind over the knuckle while moving his finger up and down quickly.
Whadda ya mean its off topic. I protest.

edit. Or would that be quickly moving his finger up and down.
edit on 31America/ChicagoTue, 09 Dec 2014 01:19:00 -0600Tue, 09 Dec 2014 01:19:00 -060014122014-12-09T01:19:00-06:00100000019 by TerryMcGuire because: edit. Or would that be quickly moving his finger up and down.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
window .........

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: MountainLaurel

Did I mention php??

You can inspect the code yourself..

It may look like all html, but it's not.

window(dot)location = new_location

window dot .. I edited the quote of some of the code for ATS above because it won't post.. I changed "." to "(dot)"

everyone understands yea?

edit on 9-12-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
This should be fixed. I don't code so I can't help, but someone has the answer I'm sure.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because it's happened a few times recently and the last one was a change that made a difference that was important.

It changed my statement from "some protestors who broke a window" into "some protestors who broke_ Another Protestor..."

Very different statement since it combined the start of the next sentence with the end of the other.

Thanx to everyone who helped. Especially to those who provided the clever responses. I enjoyed those.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Lol I've hated this bug for a very long time but never bothered to mention it. Btw it's not just the word window, there are at least half a dozen words which get turned into a _ when you use them at the end of a sentence (finish with a period). I had a list of the words but I can't find it now.

EDIT: and btw yes it can be fixed, it's a bad and buggy way to clean the html.
edit on 9/12/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
a reply to: Night Star

Ok that was freaky. is the place haunted or what? How come it works sometimes but usually doesn't?

I'm thinking it is haunted. I was skulking around outside of ATS with some high tech gear the other night and I spotted this window entity.

edit on 9-12-2014 by CraftBuilder because: the window entity made me typo.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Portal

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm
there is already a previous thread about this that may help you to understand this issue better Here

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Window window window

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
I find this thread highly offensive. How dare you all say that word!

Oh window off you miserable one you!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Without going too much off onto my computer geek side, it is actually a HTML thing that I've experienced on other forums (well, more _javascript than html).

Basically, window plus the dot is a way of addressing an object (such as the ats main window). Now, if you were to allow that particular combination, as well as others (for the longest time, I was able to use two single-quotes in my profile, which is a vulnerability), you'd be allowing someone to be able to put a malicious script into the chat (IE: A popup window).

When I'm done typing this, the message is parsed and analyzed (how else would we get the formatting and smileys?), which is where the filtering comes out.

EDIT: For example, look what happened to "jave scrip t" - another keyword.

-fossilera
edit on 9/12/2014 by fossilera because:

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: fossilera

But it must be fixable right??? I don't code HTML so I don't know how to do it myself, but I know there must be a way to correct it.

The fact that you cannot simply end a sentence with the word window is just kinda stupid.

VVindow.

edit on 9-12-2014 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

The only way I'm aware of is how they are doing it now; If the text were going straight to a database, or if this were a Windows application, then it wouldn't be an issue, because everything is rendered differently. Now, you could also try to escape character the period (it would probably work in the messages, but it wouldn't be a period).

This is one of those grey areas - It was probably decided way back in the day that it was better to not allow some things on the forums to keep us safe; it might not even be ATS's fault, but something that they are using to help them make the site look presentable.

My only recommendation for ATS, as I have to do similar things on the job, is that once a user clicks the edit or reply button, if it finds the pattern then automatically put a space, or a unicode character that looks like a period in.

-foss

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Its JavaScript.

Screen.

window.

location.

history.

'')

document

document.

edit on 12-12-2014 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I quoted the actual code, one piece of it and no one seemed to understand..

window(dot)location = new_location

as one example..

I'm glad ATS has come back from that last Ddos... I started getting antsy.. I was like, what is information? where is news?? yahoo? google? where do I go??? and everywhere i went was disgusting facebook level talking.. It hurt my soul.

edit on 13-12-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
My Window needs cleaning
edit on 14-12-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: KnightLight

originally posted by: sn0rch
linux.

Ha, you dont get these problems with linux !!! Just windows lol

Linux is too basic to have windows.. Only doors. Doors without drivers.

Holy boogers, that is the best thing i've read in a yonk, maybe even a few yonks

Lmao

But windows are bad mojo around these parts. The sight blocked them in an effort to cut down on Demon infestations. Sometimes Daemon. Kernels of truth..

HTML doesn't come to mind. As far as I remember. It must be ATS specific. I don't know php for instance but I bet many of you know something about it..

There are other issues like HTML hyper links being too long and not working, and this is not an HTML issue. That too is an ATS thing.

They have their own, at least in part, system running.

Maybe it's to stop scripts? Maybe it's just bad coding.. I don't know.. I'm not too in to this kind of thing anymore. But if they don't have their reasons they should just fix it..

Windows.
window.
windows..
window..

That little test messed with my browser.. I didn't come back to the right "window"
It's a coding thing. And it says "Snip" at the top.. It's auto editing and it's sort of running some code..
My browser won't post this post with what I wrote in it, without stalling out and I need refresh it to get back to the same WINDOW-
You'll notice in my post I tried one dot and two dots singular and plural.

Anyway.... Barracuda. tiger. awesome. Supersecretabovetopsecret. Coding. Letmein.

Did I mention php??

These are home made written forums, and over the years code upon code can lead to simple mistakes. Finding them can be the problem.

No Barracuda tiger awesome will fix it

Lol

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rodinus

originally posted by: weirdguy
I find this thread highly offensive. How dare you all say that word!

Oh window off you miserable one you!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

It's window DOT. windows are not evil alone, only with dots. And you know how dots are. Dots ....

See?? Oo

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join