It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beloit Police Ask Residents To Volunteer To Have Their Homes Searched For Guns

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
The one thing I miss about living in the U.S. is that I owned a few guns. Though, after living here in Japan for a few years I do see the value in strict gun laws. I can walk through most places I frequent without fear of being shot by a mugger, or raped at gunpoint.

I also see many people say "If you ban guns only criminals will have guns". Well, here in the JP, VERY few criminals have guns. They are exceedingly difficult to obtain. The only armed people I see are police officers.

I do miss my firearms, but I also don't worry about some home invader coming in and killing me either.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Here in the UK they took our guns long ago. We are a shining example of the truth - banning guns does indeed leave them only in the hands of criminals. Gun crime is rampant here and there is a thriving underground market for illegal firearms.

Keep hold of 'em America. It's obvious where this is leading.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
The one thing I miss about living in the U.S. is that I owned a few guns. Though, after living here in Japan for a few years I do see the value in strict gun laws. I can walk through most places I frequent without fear of being shot by a mugger, or raped at gunpoint.

I also see many people say "If you ban guns only criminals will have guns". Well, here in the JP, VERY few criminals have guns. They are exceedingly difficult to obtain. The only armed people I see are police officers.

I do miss my firearms, but I also don't worry about some home invader coming in and killing me either.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

The reason the strict gun law thing actually works in Japan is because of a few key differences.

1-Japan is an island and as such shares no borders with any nation; much less nations like Mexico which are excellent for smuggling all sorts of illegal things.

2-As you'll well know from living in Japan, the strict conformism observed by most of society (even criminals to a large extent) keeps a LOT of things in check in JP.

3-I don't know this for sure but from what I generally gather, (reading and some time spent in Japan) the organized crime groups tend to frown upon random thuggery and will 'take the trash out' so to speak...

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Thank you, Domo. It's good to be here. I've lurked for a long time, but this post hit close to home, literally.

There was an interesting development yesterday. According to the online edition of The Beloit Daily news, the program has been WITHDRAWN.

Here's the direct quote:

"The Beloit Police Department has withdrawn its offer to search homes for illegal firearms with property owners' permission, according to a news release issued by the City of Beloit today, Tuesday, Dec. 9.

The initiative was proposed by Police Chief Norm Jacobs as one way to address a rising tide of gun crime in the city, which included 51 shots fired incidents this year and since six of the eight homicides in Beloit this year have been gun related.

The proposed program was strictly voluntary and would have required a signed release from property owners. However, concerns were raised that homes would be searched as part of the process.

The program has been referred to the city's legal department for further review."

Couldn't have been because the program went viral on multiple news outlets, could it? Beloit already has a black eye from it's bad reputation, lets kick her in the shins, too.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

The Yakuza has plenty of guns.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

A person could still enter your home with a knife or Samurai sword. What could then save your life? = a Gun.

If you owned a firearm, your chances of survival increases. Sleep much better too. ~$heopleNation

edit on 10-12-2014 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Volunteer to let the police search my home for guns? I mean, what, LOL? If I had any guns which were not legal for me to have, you wouldn't see me volunteering. I don't, so what's the point? The Chief of Police, bless his pointy little head, has jumped the shark. a reply to: Domo1

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join