It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The Occult A Dead-End Mind-Trap?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I have to imagine there are people in here who have interest in 'the occult.' It's been sort of an addiction for me for a while now. Particularly Crowley, but always open to studying other works of 'the occult' or western esotericism as well. They seem to bring together a lot of good and interesting ideas which can be found in various areas of philosophy and spirituality. And there seems to be a certain emphasis on the importance of your own mind's understanding, interpretation, and application of the ideas. And as time went on, and I continued to find myself intrigued yet without any seeming benefit, that is what I told myself. It's really about getting a real understanding of the pieces, so that your mind can learn to map them out in a way that is illuminating. So I kept studying. And of course some little insights come through this study. But, after having it really be almost an addiction for a while now, in all honestly I am not sure I have ever gained anything from it.

For instance, the Tao Te Ching. I can say, if I'm not benefiting from it, it's because I'm not actually applying it. Similarly with other Eastern texts. There is a certain practical nature to it, where it clearly gives certain advice, and you can clearly see that you're not actually applying it, particularly as your understanding of the meaning of the texts grows. But after, I'm not sure how long really, a couple/few years, of reasonably hardcore study and contemplation of these 'occult' or esoteric ideas, I can still not honestly say I have any idea of how to truly apply it on a practical level, or if there is any benefit which can possibly be had by the ideas. I have looked on the internet many times for discussions, either of the occult in general or certain texts/authors, which address the fundamental conflict I have about it all. And, I can't really seem to find anything. And so I don't know what to make of my thoughts.

So, obviously I am primarily looking people who have really put some real effort into studying and contemplating 'the occult.' The question I think to myself again and again, is there any point to this? I can't help but suspect, and the voice in my head which suspects this only grows louder over time, that the whole thing is a sort of dead-end mind-trap. Like, it just tries to get you to memorize all these abstract concepts, their terminologies, and various 'correspondences.' They are supposed to be meaningful and have value in and of themselves, but they may well just be totally arbitrary. I keep thinking further study and contemplating will reveal some practical value to it. But that part never comes. And so sometimes it just feels, like I say, like a dead-end mind-trap. You just, keep studying these concepts, phrases, and correspondences, over and over, keep getting slightly excited that you seem to be understanding a deeper nuance of something, and...still not really have it benefit you at all. It seems like I could spend my whole life this way. Now, I'm not saying I'm even going to necessarily stop studying it right now. It really is a sort of addiction of mine. But, I did want to make a thread voicing my concerns, and see if there were others who could relate or had thoughts.
edit on 8-12-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
What's really funny, is that what most of Christianity tells you are reasons to avoid The Devil, are actually reasons to avoid Christianity. You need to take a good long hard look at what the Church tells their parishoners about The Devil, then apply those statements to The Church instead.

It will all make sense if you do this, and will be a complete eye opener for most Christians.

Talking point #1 for you to consider. The first book that Christians read in The Bible teaches that eating from The Tree of Knowledge is the Original Sin. This is because the Church knows that as education increases, belief in religion decreases, there is a direct correlation.

You'll never look at religion the same way again after you accept the reverse of the first lesson you're taught.

Remember, all the major religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) start with the Old Testament, with the same first lesson.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies
What's really funny, is that what most of Christianity tells you are reasons to avoid The Devil, are actually reasons to avoid Christianity. You need to take a good long hard look at what the Church tells their parishoners about The Devil, then apply those statements to The Church instead.

It will all make sense if you do this, and will be a complete eye opener for most Christians.

Talking point #1 for you to consider. The first book that Christians read in The Bible teaches that eating from The Tree of Knowledge is the Original Sin. This is because the Church knows that as education increases, belief in religion decreases, there is a direct correlation.

You'll never look at religion the same way again after you accept the reverse of the first lesson you're taught.

Remember, all the major religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) start with the Old Testament, with the same first lesson.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how this relates to the OP.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Im sorry what exactly are you trying to get at regarding your Occult believes,

Is it a spiritual quest or are you looking for positive proof of Occult knowledge,

Just asking Fella.

Fox.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

Agreed.

You were implying that despite all the "occult" knowledge out there, people are still confused and haven't found out the answers to existence and what they seek, right? I believe most of it is smoke and mirrors, designed to keep people from discovering the real truths.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: foxhound2459
Im sorry what exactly are you trying to get at regarding your Occult believes,

Is it a spiritual quest or are you looking for positive proof of Occult knowledge,

Just asking Fella.

Fox.

A general spiritual journey. Just various trails in my thoughts and studies led me to study and be interested in more and more of what is called 'the occult,' and I couldn't help but be interested in and like much of what I read about it. It's not really how I define myself, but it does take up a considerable amount of the time I study and contemplate.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Agreed.

You were implying that despite all the "occult" knowledge out there, people are still confused and haven't found out the answers to existence and what they seek, right? I believe most of it is smoke and mirrors, designed to keep people from discovering the real truths.

Well, I can only state my experience. I like and enjoy much of what it says. But at times it does feel as though its just designed to set off never-ending mind-loops and trails which just keep you going in circles, without ever really gaining anything. I'm not saying this positively. Obviously, as I have said, I like and am interested in it, and therefore a part of me thinks there could be a lot of value in it. I'm just using this thread to voice the part of me that is not sure if it actually leads anywhere.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Don't bother with all that 'occult' or 'spiritual' nonsense. Look beyond the 'Forms' and Feel it. Do you practice tai chi?

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Have a look at " A curious Nazi occult tale" here on ATS.

A cold war tale from lower Saxony Germany compiled by SOXMIS and Myself (old member name),

Thats what got me interested in the occult fair amount off information there too.

Enjoy Fox.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

What is your definition of "occult?"

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
There are many beliefs and practices that are considered abnormal or "taboo" - studying the occult, or "hidden" allows us find references to our own peculiar states of mind, and realise that many others have experienced these states before, and asked similar questions. To discover the "answers" is a process of ones own development, and to explain what is really "hidden" is knowledge that you cannot generally find in books, or knowledge that would be incredibly difficult to find. In order to gain access to this knowledge, generally one must pass a few "tests" and then they will be able to subscribe to the particular doctrine.

Basically, these "hidden books" are downloaded into the mind, and when you start to contemplate, you are given a variety of "answers" that you must think of.

I dare say much more.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I'm going to have to agree with satsanga....what you ascribe as being "of the occult" is going to have a lot of bearing.

I got confused when you referenced the Tao Te Ching....that text always been more along the line of philosophy in the circles I'm familiar with.

More than slightly confused here.

edit on 12/8/14 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: satsanga

What is your definition of "occult?"

Basically just what is called occult. I myself was reluctant to use the term for quite a while, but it clearly was the most consistent word used to describe a certain type of literature I was interested in. And so, just allowing a certain class of writings to define and label themselves, I went with their own choice of occult. So I don't have a particular definition in mind, just that which is called occult.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
I'm going to have to agree with satsanga....what you ascribe as being "of the occult" is going to have a lot of bearing.

I got confused when you referenced the Tao Te Ching.
That text always been more along the line of philosophy in the circles I'm familiar with.

Slightly confused here.

Well, I draw from different ideologies in my personal philosophy. Eastern philosophy and spirituality has been a major aspect of my spiritual path. I consider the Tao Te Ching to be the greatest spiritual text in existence. I don't really have a set ideology at this point in time, but Eastern philosophy plays heavily into my thinking. 'Occultism,' as I said in my previous post, a certain class of writings which is self-described as occult, has also played a significant role in my studying/thinking. If anything it is the Eastern spirituality that I actually truly 'devoted' myself too for a time.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Would you consider scientology occult? Scientologists don't, but other main stream religions do.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: satsanga
Would you consider scientology occult? Scientologists don't, but other main stream religions do.

Scientology is something I can honestly say I have never studied whatsoever. And I have studied a good range of spiritual philosophy. For one reason or another, it really holds no interest for me.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES

I got confused when you referenced the Tao Te Ching....that text always been more along the line of philosophy in the circles I'm familiar with.

More than slightly confused here.

The tao te ching is the essential root science at the heart of everything. Can't get more Magical than that.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

A shame, their courses really do improve a persons quality of life.
www.lronhubbard.org...
edit on 8-12-2014 by satsanga because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

If I may...(and this is just based on personal experience)....any study you find helps connect you to the greater good and whole of being is good. Regardless of what label you give it. You asked about the "dead end" nature of the occult, and the only path that leads to that is the texts and literature that cause a sense of disconnect within you. That would be the "dark side/dead end". I cannot tell you which books are of that nature though, because everyone finds their peace in different paths.

As long as you find yourself growing closer to yourself and others around you, it's anything but a dead end.

The moment you start feeling a profound disconnect from what is good and fulfilling, I'd advise to turn and run like hell from that path. I tried walking a few of them out of naive curiosity in my youth and found myself in some bad places. Real bad.

Just a word of caution from one who has gone before. Trust your instincts.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Agreed.

whose real truths?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join