It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The water in Clearwater is clear...clearly full of cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
source

Apparently Cancer causing chemicals have been found in the water supply in not so Clearwater Florida.
The water company has started alerting customers.

This is why I am such a freak about my water sources. Through water testing for plants before nutrient mixing, I have found as high as 500 ppm of dissolved solids. These range from a few normal minerals to pesticides, herbicides, pharmaceuticals, nicotine etc...
For reference, some plants like 800-1000 ppm max of dissolved solids, above that they will burn and die.

I am a champion for rainwater and on site treatment for quality control, as your starting range is 10-20 ppm max
directly from the rain. I will not drink tap water after these discoveries.

I always thought there was something in the water in Florida, now I know it.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

you may as well get used to water containing poisons ......the practices we have are all backwards,we pollute for profit....everything we do in our so called "advancement" is polluting the most necessary of all resources which is water....if we do not change that fact soon we will regret it

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

It's a shame more muni water supplies aren't disinfected with ozone, like they use in Europe and Japan.

You don't get THMs or chloramines with ozonation.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Just wait till they build the Keystone pipeline over the aquifers. One or two spills from that will have you begging for Clearwater's water.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Your right on the money there. I wonder what percentages of diseases are actually a direct result of ingesting this crap over long periods of time.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Good find OP, I like how they say "trace" in the header of the article.......
It was just a trace of TNT and we have no idea why the house of cards blew up :-)
If they are issuing warnings they are certainly worried about law suits down the road and that should tell everyone in that area of Florida that this most likley should not to be ignored.

S&F
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 8-12-2014 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-12-2014 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

You've peaked my interest in this ozone treatment process, I need to study up.
My first thought was charcoal/RO type to UV sterilization through ultraviolet light. It is very cheap, not sure if it could keep up with the volume required in big cities though.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder
yeah, not so confident about the lackadaisical response..I live right by here, and drank some tap water at a restaurant there last weekend. No Bueno!

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Your right on the money there. I wonder what percentages of diseases are actually a direct result of ingesting this crap over long periods of time.

i would hazard a guess at many.....there is no escaping it....the water gets polluted,we drink it,we use it to water edible plants,the plants absorb the nasties and then we eat it...it is like one big circle of nasty...

i am glad i live where i do...there are a lot of hippies out this way and they all protest bad practices like fracking...around here most of the place is 99% gasfeild free...

even better (and not from lack of council trying) we have no fluoride in the water supply,and in town the local health place has tap available for public use where they have a top notch water filter attached,so i get all my drinking water from there.....if i do drink tap water i can taste chlorine and god knows what else and it tastes like crap...in fact reminds me of the swimming pool water

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
a reply to: Bedlam

You've peaked my interest in this ozone treatment process, I need to study up.
My first thought was charcoal/RO type to UV sterilization through ultraviolet light. It is very cheap, not sure if it could keep up with the volume required in big cities though.

Ozone is easy to make ;-) get a piece of 1/4" plastic hose about 40' long. Put a #14 AWG solid wire down the centre. About 1' from each end of the pipe, wrap aluminum foil basically the length of the pipe. Using a plastic tee joint, pull the wire (inside the pipe) through the tee so you have an airtight seal. Make a 50kv to 80kv pulse voltage generator and attach ground to the aluminum foil on the outside of the pipe and the HV output to the wire coming out the tee (wire that is inside the pipe). Hook up a pump, 15 to 50 CFM at up to 80 PSI at the "tee" end of the pipe (water systems are usually pressurized from 40 to 60 PSI).

You'll get ridiculous amounts of ozone, enough to force evacuation of your house if you let the open end of the pipe bleed out rather than send it into a contained water aerator, which MUST be vented outside.

The HV pulse generator should be in the 0.5 to 1ma (milliampere) range, so, it will not take a lot of current to run the business end of ozone generator, that's 25 to 50 watts or less than half an amp at 120vac. I did one of these for a company in the early 90's for blood and plasma cleaning. The actual design for that product was a spiral chamber on vacuum formed plastic, the anode and cathode were created using vapour deposition on the plastic spiral chamber and outside containment plates.

Have fun, don't lick the HV end and make sure that NOTHING electrical comes in contact with the water. You could inadvertently make hydrogen, chlorine gas or something else nasty, not to mention, 50kv-80kw pulsing through your water lines won't be pretty. I usually have the electronics higher, 10 feet away from the water and connected by a tube. It's also a good idea to have a check valve in the pipe so the water can't back up into the ozone system.

I take no responsibility for what you do or anyone else does with this information. Designs are available on the internet.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 12/8.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I've got well water. I never got it tested. It is really cold, it is clear and has no taste which means it tastes good. It isn't overly hard. It does not smell at all. Once in a water something breaks loose in the underground river and it gets brown for a little while. It doesn't come into the well if you aren't drawing water when the chunk of dirt falls into the river somewhere.

That is all I know about our water, it hasn't killed us, it tastes good, it does not contain any bacteria or other microbes.

My granddaughter doesn't care for the no taste, she was used to flavored bottle water at my daughters house before. They can't drink their water there, it is discolored, smells, and is full of chlorine smell. I like water without any taste.

I'm not afraid of drinking rainwater, nor the water from a stream as long as I treat it a bit to kill the parasites. I don't know about drinking rainwater near a city with lots of factories though.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Nice, sweet project, I need one of those down here in moldy Florida.
I going to try and mad scientist one together this weekend.
I was just checking out a few online, they look pretty simple, I just need to track down a power supply.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Clearwater, Clearlake,...what deceptive names!

Clear Lake, located in northern California (and for that matter, several other lakes in that region) is quite possibly the most mercury polluted lake in the world, reports the Associated Press. A history of silver mining throughout the area has left many of the lakes polluted and the fish highly toxic, if consumed.

And it gets worse, the people most affected are some of the poorest in the area. Mercury, once it has contaminated a lake, is nearly impossible to remove. You would have to dreg and clean the bottom soil which besides being very complicated is also nearly impossible to do. Clear Lake has been the recipient of mercury poisoning from what is now a Superfund site since before the 1950s. The Sulfur Bank Mine closed operations in the 1950's and while California has spent two decades and close to $40 million USD to clean it up, mercury is still leaching into the lake.

www.treehugger.com...
edit on 8-12-2014 by On the Edge because: link

And here is a link that ignores all that nasty stuff and instead just promotes all the beauty of it, the fishing tournaments, etc...yet "Vineyards and gardens"...all tainted with mercury!

Clear Lake

www.lakecounty.com...

At the heart of Northern California’s rural, agricultural Lake County, Clear Lake has long attracted nature lovers, boating and watersports enthusiasts, campers, hikers, and birdwatchers. Beaches, parks, resorts, boat docks, grazing land, vineyards, gardens, and private homes line the lake’s peaceful shores.

edit on 8-12-2014 by On the Edge because: another link

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Power supplies are easy, a nice little 100va, 10vac transformer will give you 12vdc after your run it through an LM7812 (I'd use the T03 package with a heat sink to be safe). As far as the pulse generator goes, you could use an NE555 (square wave only) or an ICL8038 (sine, square and triangle wave).

All that's really left is the pulse transformer and you can make that yourself using a small ferrite bobbin package. Just remember that your primary turns will be roughly 1:5000, so 100 (or 10) turns on the primary will require 500,000 (or 50,000) turns on the secondary (it's a boost transformer). Primary, I would use #18 AWG coated magnetic wire and for the secondary, #28 AWG or higher dependent on bobbin size. You can make a make-shift winder using a hand drill and vice or a sewing machine.

You can also optimize your pulse transformer/circuit 'Q' by adjusting the pulse frequency and finding some derivative of the 1/4 wave of the wire that has been wound. 1/4 wave on say 100 turns on a 1" diameter bobbin would be about 315", so wavelength would be about 1260". Since 11.78" is 1 gigahertz (distance light travels in one nanosecond or Grady's Rule), then 1260/11.78 = 106.96 so the pulse frequency would be 1ghz/106.96 or 9.349289.5 mhz which is too high for the circuit using an ICL8038, so divide by 2 and again and again until you get down around 100khz and that would be the frequency you would run at. If you have an oscilloscope and measure the pulse input to the transformer (low voltage side), as you adjust the frequency you will see the waveform amplitude getting larger and smaller. At the highest amplitude, that would be the most efficient energy transfer point across the transformer or the point of matching 'Q.'

Maybe, since drones are becoming problematic, we should have a thread with designs for portable ring lasers with small linear accelerators powered by barium titanate thin film semiconductor supercapacitors ;-)

Cheers - Dave
edit on 12/8.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: On the Edge
exactly...similar to Clearwater Beach, the tourist Mecca. there are toxic levels of fecal bacteria and city storm runoff flowing from Tampa Bay. The test results recently were enough to warrant closing the beaches on either side, but the readings are omitted from Clearwater Beach. I don't swim in the area, I travel down to Ft.Desoto, where there is cleaner water.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Clearwater hasn't had its own water in about 30 years, this concerns me. I know they used to get it from Pasco county, and it took us nearly 20 years to stop them from taking all our water.

new topics

top topics

join