It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local blacks show up more in crime data...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Are San Diego Cops just Racist ?

According to a SANDAG crime bulletin from last year, “Blacks were overrepresented in every violent crime category in comparison to their proportion in the population.”

You have to ask yourself why ?

The study found that “race, along with other legal and social factors, increased the likelihood of a youth being detained following arrest.” Latino youth were 2.8 times more likely than white youth to be detained, meaning held in custody, while black youth were 1.8 times more likely to be detained.

So, being poor is a factor... They are lots of poor people that do not commit violent crimes.

Of the officers at the San Diego Police Department, 6.4 percent are black, mirroring the city’s 6.7 percent black population. Lei-Chala Wilson, president of the San Diego chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said there is no doubt racial bias plays a role throughout the justice system in San Diego and other cities. “The statistics have proven we don’t commit more crimes than anyone else, but we’re more likely to get stopped, detained and arrested,” she said. “The word is getting out and people are more aware of it.”

Excuse me...You don't commit more crimes than anyone else does ? (See chart Lady )

“Just because we don’t think there’s a problem, it doesn’t mean the community doesn’t think there’s one,” Marvel said. Marvel said the events in Ferguson and New York were “a good opportunity for law enforcement to take a look at those incidents and see what we can gain.”

Alright, Blacks commit most of the violent crimes. So, Cops watch Black folks.

There is a simple way to stop being targeted...Quit commiting violent crime.

UTSanDiego.com

I am just reporting the stats...I'll bet I don't get past the first page without being called names.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
When you have nothing to lose.

It's probably a true reflection on poverty as much as it is violent crime. At the other end of the spectrum, the rich are more likely to commit fraud and embezzlement, on a large scale.

So yeah, the poorer you are, the more likely you are to live by the law of the jungle. Many of the deprived areas are Police no go areas, thereby delegating power to the gangs.

At the top they make the laws, but think it's a given that it doesn't apply to themselves. The police usually tend to leave them alone, until some media mogul has pissed off another media mogul or top politician or top ranking police officer. Then we see glimpses of the real goings on, as accusations fly for a few weeks, then usually fade away.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
When you have nothing to lose.

It's probably a true reflection on poverty as much as it is violent crime. At the other end of the spectrum, the rich are more likely to commit fraud and embezzlement, on a large scale.

So yeah, the poorer you are, the more likely you are to live by the law of the jungle. Many of the deprived areas are Police no go areas, thereby delegating power to the gangs.

At the top they make the laws, but think it's a given that it doesn't apply to themselves. The police usually tend to leave them alone, until some media mogul has pissed off another media mogul or top politician or top ranking police officer. Then we see glimpses of the real goings on, as accusations fly for a few weeks, then usually fade away.

That's a good point...

If you feel your life is hopeless...Why not just take what you want.

You are correct about White Collar crimes...Never hardly even hear about it.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

That isn't correct. It demonstrates a fundamentally flawed understanding of the US legal system and the US Constitution.

The statistics only represent convictions. It misses the point that the US legal system is rigged against blacks in particular, corrupt LEO's handle all the evidence and grandstanding prosecutors are completely on their own discretion to do what they want.

Just for a laugh, check statistics on arrests vs. successful prosecutions. Start with murder and then check cannabis offenses. It's damn consistent. Then when you finish urinating on the US Constitution, check sentencing disparities. It's a sick joke, and you are laughing.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

And that is called stereotyping and stereotyping is just another form of discrimination. If you have committed no crime then the police have no right to watch you.

There is a simple way to stop being targeted.

No there isn't unless you can find a way to change the color of your skin.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

You are correct about White Collar crimes...Never hardly even hear about it.

Yes and why is that? Because most of the people that commit them is white. It's kind of hard to show that blacks are more likely to be criminals when they show that whites are not that much different they just commit a different kind of crime.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

And that is called stereotyping and stereotyping is just another form of discrimination. If you have committed no crime then the police have no right to watch you.

There is a simple way to stop being targeted.

No there isn't unless you can find a way to change the color of your skin.

It's profiling to watch the group of people committing a third of the violent crimes ?

I would call that good Police work.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

That isn't correct. It demonstrates a fundamentally flawed understanding of the US legal system and the US Constitution.

The statistics only represent convictions. It misses the point that the US legal system is rigged against blacks in particular, corrupt LEO's handle all the evidence and grandstanding prosecutors are completely on their own discretion to do what they want.

Just for a laugh, check statistics on arrests vs. successful prosecutions. Start with murder and then check cannabis offenses. It's damn consistent. Then when you finish urinating on the US Constitution, check sentencing disparities. It's a sick joke, and you are laughing.

No idea about the conviction rate...

That seems like just another scam. I'm sure Black Folks get the raw end of that deal.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
You should also add that blacks are charged with more severe crimes more often against non black counterparts. It's the difference between unauthorized entry and burglary, felony or misdemeanor.

People get rammed around election time! Just know that if the ambiguity of the law allows you to be charged with a violent crime, it will happen. Judges often dismiss wildly trumped charges upon arraignment because prosecutors push for that felony conviction rate

This is where I think a certain race bias comes into play. When prosecutors, judges, and cops encounter black males.
edit on 8-12-2014 by gorsestar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: gorsestar
You should also add that blacks are charged with more severe crimes more often against non black counterparts. It's the difference between unauthorized entry and burglary, felony or misdemeanor.

In our system, when you can't afford a Lawyer.

You will end up in jail. Now, that part of the System sucks.

There is a real complaint, that Blacks are not represented in Court.

I agree with that...

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Agreed.

It isn't a good idea to be poor and commit a crime.

Can't blame that on the system...

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
So since some black people commit crimes, all black people are criminals?

I get what you are trying to say, police should be able to have the thought process of " Well if I watch this person long enough, they will commit a crime because they are black, here are my numbers to prove it"

Ya, sounds legit.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Here are a few questions..now stats also show that when it comes to mass shootings, pedophiles or serial killers..the offender is white..so should white people be stopped and questioned when carrying a gun in public, walking by a park or being in an area they do not live?

If you bring up the constitution and rights...etc..why would all those rights not apply to a black man?
edit on 8-12-2014 by Onslaught2996 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Black people are convicted of crimes more often than white people, that doesn't mean that black people are committing more crimes than white people, it just means that they are being -prosecuted- more often than white people.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
So since some black people commit crimes, all black people are criminals?

I get what you are trying to say, police should be able to have the thought process of " Well if I watch this person long enough, they will commit a crime because they are black, here are my numbers to prove it"

Ya, sounds legit.

C'mon man I didn't say that at all.

But, if I was a Cop...I would hang out in the area where the most violent crime is.

Is it profiling to go where a large percentage of crime is being committed ?

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington
Black people are convicted of crimes more often than white people, that doesn't mean that black people are committing more crimes than white people, it just means that they are being -prosecuted- more often than white people.

I think you may be right.

Are there any facts to back that up....Curious ?

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

Here are a few questions..now stats also show that when it comes to mass shootings, pedophiles or serial killers..the offender is white..so should white people be stopped and questioned when carrying a gun in public, walking by a park or being in an area they do not live?

If you bring up the constitution and rights...etc..why would all those rights not apply to a black man?

They should.

This thread is not saying other races do not commit violent crimes.

The stats are right there.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I know that is not what you said, but that is what this is implying.
And you already said it, if you don't have money and get a good lawyer, you are probably going to jail.
Who lives in higher poverty? Black people or white
Who can't fight trumped up charges when a public defender would rather just make a deal with DA to get you to plea?

Yes it is profiling, cause you are now assuming that person is going to commit a crime.
Guilty until proven innocent is not the way this works.

I don't like the idea of treating people like a hunter would treat his/her prey.
edit on thMon, 08 Dec 2014 18:57:47 -0600America/Chicago1220144780 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

originally posted by: AgentShillington

I think you may be right.

Are there any facts to back that up....Curious ?

www.crf-usa.org...
www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.discoverthenetworks.org...

A few links to stories with sources.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This is one of the reasons arrest rates are higher for black men... constant harassment then abusive confrontation that is extremely provoking, then if you even flinch they cuff you and arrest you for assault.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join