It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Can’t Detox Your Body. It’s A Myth.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Zumba moms will believe anything that they read on Pinterest.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

If toxins did build up in a way your body couldn't excrete, he says, you'd likely be dead or in need of serious medical intervention. “The healthy body has kidneys, a liver, skin, even lungs that are detoxifying as we speak,” he says. “There is no known way – certainly not through detox treatments – to make something that works perfectly well in a healthy body work better.”

He is right that your body can detoxify by itself, but toxins can't build up without causing death or serious illness? Did this guy even go to college? Alcohol is toxic, and its buildup is sometimes called "partying." Even a perfectly healthy liver has physical limitations that do not allow it to process infinite quantities of alcohol instantly. Kidneys, skin, and lungs have physical limitations too, so if you overwhelm them with toxins, these will also build up.

I'm not saying that "cleansers" work or don't work, but most people probably don't have perfectly-functioning, healthy bodies, which makes this guy's point kinda moot. Most people can probably help their bodies detox by changing to a less toxic lifestyle that allows their organs to catch up on the work load.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: wagnificent

As you said alcohol is toxic but a special blend of detox regimen isn't going to cleanse your system any faster than it will already happen on its own. Those detox kits/shakes/slurries/concoctions will not make your liver and kidneys process that stuff any faster.

If your body isn't processing or healthy those things are not going to help you. A unhealthy body isn't going to get healthy from some detox regimen. There is no easy quick fix for an unhealthy lifestyle either.

Of course fasting does kick start the immune system but it doesn't detoxify you. If detoxing was real outside of the medical field then the toxins should be named and quantified.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I believe that this detox fad started out as a real and honest attempt to a healthier life responding to a real need. But like every other thing that worked out even with a bit of success it was took over by the big sharks as a golden opportunity to make some more money.

Not every detox cure or kit or pill out there is the real thing; on contrary, I would believe that the most promoted and expensive are the most fake.
But it doesn't mean that real detox cures does not exists. Just like real weight loss diets and programs. But they are a sum of different factors, they require research, effort, dedication and of course, a change of lifestyle. That's why for a lazy, ignorant and fat society like ours, willing to live on fast food and miracle pills for everything those real cures are not very appealing.

Those who really care about their health and can be bothered to research the topic will find out that "helping your body detox" is a healthy thing to do; that is cheap and effective, and will notice the difference in the quality of their life.

Those who cannot believe that toxins can accumulate in their body, that the liver can get tired and lazy, or that the kidneys can get overwhelmed, that the so common "beer belly" is a bag full of rooting residues that eventually will leak in the blood and so on, and that the proper diet combined with the right supplements combined with the right life style can help those organs function again at their full power and detox the body more efficiently, well, those people can confidently turn to the conventional medicine to take care of their health. They have miracle pills for everything, and if that isn't working they will cut the organ off and that's the end of it.

Those doctors may be real scientists, but they are not in it for our health; they are all for selling some more pills and dismissing any alternative therapy that can pose a danger for their profits. It took one blue man to ban colloidal silver; there are 106,000 deaths annually from drugs adverse reactions only and yet we never question a man in a white robe. The conventional medicine screwed us up for so long and in so many ways that people actually don't even notice anymore.

So I would suggest that all those smart scientists warning us about the "dangers" of alternative medicine, and in this case about the detox cures to rather focus on making better medicine that actually cure something beside broken bones and infections.
Nobody ever died from taking an ineffective detox pill; yet a lot die from their bad science.

edit on 10-12-2014 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This is all semantics. The word 'detox' he us using for medical terms such as blood transfusing. Detoxing does work. Try eating chocolate for a week and see how you feel.
Then try vegetables and soup for a few weeks, your body won't be working twice as hard getting the nutrients it needs, making them from scratch.
You'll have more energy, feel happier. I've been in both of these situations mainly due to a student budget but now my body doesn't feel like a slug.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Cilantro and lead

www.healingthebody.ca...
Cilantro and lead

In 2001, researchers in Japan decided to investigate the effects of cilantro on lead deposition. For their study, which was published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology, the researchers administered cilantro via gastric intubation to male mice suffering from high levels of lead in their bodies. An established chelating agent, dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA), was used as the control.

After the 25-day trial period, the mice were checked for lead. The results showed that both the cilantro and the DMSA had “significantly decreased lead deposition in the femur and severe lead-induced injury in the kidneys.” Moreover, the cilantro increased the urinary excretion of delta-aminolevulinic acid (ALA), which is known to increase with lead intake. The researchers concluded that cilantro contained substances that had a suppressive effect on lead

So Cilantro was as good as an active placebo in removing lead from murine models.

and in humans..mercury

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Whicgh I find interesting.

drcranton.com...

Could cancer be related to microbe infection?
Limbo

edit on 10-12-2014 by Limbo because: Added more

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaptanMad
This is all semantics. The word 'detox' he us using for medical terms such as blood transfusing. Detoxing does work. Try eating chocolate for a week and see how you feel.
Then try vegetables and soup for a few weeks, your body won't be working twice as hard getting the nutrients it needs, making them from scratch.
You'll have more energy, feel happier. I've been in both of these situations mainly due to a student budget but now my body doesn't feel like a slug.

You ate nothing but chocolate for a week strait?

If so then I have no doubt you felt low on energy or down. Dude thats not healthy no matter how you look at it.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

a reply to: ElectricUniverse

I notice you are not answering the question of what exactly the toxins are. Your Web MD article is cute but it doesn't name the toxins either.

The OP stands.

Yes I did... but like always when you are being answered and you don't like those answers you become completely blind to the responses and the evidence you are given. It has been obvious for a long time that this is your modus operandi in ATS in almost every thread you participate in.

You seem to believe, alongside some other people, that the human body does not need help when there is an imbalance of nutrients or when the body is over burdened with heavy metals which "apparently" according to you, and some others, do not cause any problems to the human body, except in cases of drug overdoses, because it seems to be your belief that the body can get rid of those substances well by itself. Of course, if there was any truth to "your belief" then there wouldn't be a need for medicines, medicines that come from....plants... Well, except for many of the compounds which have also been added in modern medicines and which cause more harm than good.

Now, you seem to be oblivious to the fact that meanwhile modern medicine can undoubtedly help in many cases when it comes to health, it is also true that because modern medicine has become a business, in many instances it has also become a scam. Whether it is from a lack of knowledge, or an obvious disregard for natural medicine which have been used for millennia to treat successfully many health problems, the fact is that there are many doctors, alongside big pharma of course, who simply like to ignore natural medicine because it is a threat to the healthcare business, and because it is seen as a threat it is completely ignored by a lot of people and doctors.

BTW, I am not saying that all doctors and all forms of modern medicine are a scam, but whether it is from a lack of knowledge in certain topics, or whether it is an outright disregard for natural medicine because it is seen as a threat to the healthcare business, despite the fact that modern medicine started out and to this day still uses to some extent medicinal plants.

Of course, it is also true that there are a lot of scams when it comes to many claims of natural medicine. But if you were to notice I haven't endorsed in this thread any product, except if you want to believe that saying that a balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, natural juices and drinking sufficient amounts of water is a scam... Or unless you want to claim, that with the consent of your doctor, doing a 2-4 day water fast somehow benefits me...

edit on 11-12-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Question: What is being detoxed? What are the toxins exactly? As the article said those questions were posed to the manufacturers of the detox regimens and no one responded.

If there are toxins they should be measurable both before and after in the human body.

The article and OP are not about eating healthy or fasting those are known to both have benefits but they do not detoxify the body.

First of all, how about you answer this... Tell me, what "manufacturer" product which is a scam have I endorsed in this thread?...

Don't try to dismiss what I have presented as evidence by using the obvious scams that are out there, which so far is what you seem to be trying to do. Just because there are scams out there it doesn't mean that all forms of detox are a scam. More so when the ones I have endorsed are to eat healthier, as in eating a healthy balance of fruits, vegetables, grains, and of course you also need some meat, alongside occasional water fasting for 2-4 days...

I am still waiting to see how exactly those practices I have stated would benefit me at all...

edit on 11-12-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Yes I did... but like always when you are being answered and you don't like those answers you become completely blind to the responses and the evidence you are given. It has been obvious for a long time that this is your modus operandi in ATS in almost every thread you participate in.

HAHAHAHA... Don't even get me started on what your modus operandi is on ATS. It may result in an infraction.

Remember go after the ball not the player.

I asked you what exactly the toxins are and the claim that you answered that question is false. You posted a WebMD article and as I said that did not name the toxins either.

The rest of your post is part of your normal forte full of filler.

First of all, how about you answer this... Tell me, what "manufacturer" product which is a scam have I endorsed in this thread?

I can play that game as well.

First answer this: When did I ever state you endorsed anything?

Just because there are scams out there it doesn't mean that all forms of detox are a scam.

Then just answer the simple question of what exactly is being detoxed? What exactly are the toxins?

Surely you will be able to provide evidence of those.
edit on 11-12-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Of course you can.

Here's my post on a closed thread which was in opposition to this one:

One of my detox habits came about instantly when I read a recommendation by Swami Satchidananda to fast for 14 hours a day (from the close of your last meal of the day to the next day's first meal) because the organs used for digestion are the same organs used for toxic cleansing. That way you digest for seven hours and clean for seven hours. It made perfect sense to me, so I started it, and have been doing that daily since 1988.

Also concur and six thumbs up to the poster who talked about drinking water and staying hydrated as a toxic cleansing technique (among the thousands of other health benefits brought about by hydration).

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
You can easily detox your body of metals and radiation with 4 grams of pure vit c a day

for other contaminants like plastics and so on, I don't know what could do it.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: FutureWithoutFuture4
You can easily detox your body of metals and radiation with 4 grams of pure vit c a day

for other contaminants like plastics and so on, I don't know what could do it.

It would be good if you posted something to back those claims up.
Some verified research would be a good start.

Not testimonials though as they have no use whatsoever.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

It's one thing to say expensive detox regimens are unnecessary - quite another to say detox doesn't work.

Detox works - from monthly fasting to just a good old-fashioned "clean out," everyone should make it a regular part of their monthly health regimen.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

I have never said fasting doesn't have benefits in fact I posted a link to an article that explains the benefits such as rejuvenating the immune system. I have never said eating healthy doesn't have benefits in fact I have said the opposite.

However Detoxing outside of the medical field is a myth.

I think many have mistaken what detox actually is. Fasting doesn't detox you I am sorry to say. One article spoke about it after chemotherapy but what they were talking about was your immune system getting rid of the damaged cells from the therapy. There is no known regimen that will make a healthy person's organs work better than they already do.

A Detox regimen in pill, slurry, shake, footbath, insole, or body rub form isn't going remove anything from you except your hard earned cash.

If they did work the manufacturers of those regimens should be able to name the toxins they remove and the mechanism for which they remove it. They do not name them and because they are labeled as alternative they don't have to.

Here I will post what I did earlier about fasting and the actual medical benefits.

Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system, study finds Scientists at the University of Southern California say the discovery could be particularly beneficial for people suffering from damaged immune systems, such as cancer patients on chemotherapy.
It could also help the elderly whose immune system becomes less effective as they age, making it harder for them to fight off even common diseases.
The researchers say fasting "flips a regenerative switch" which prompts stem cells to create brand new white blood cells, essentially regenerating the entire immune system.

That post can be found herewww.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 13-12-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

It's one thing to say expensive detox regimens are unnecessary - quite another to say detox doesn't work.

Detox works - from monthly fasting to just a good old-fashioned "clean out," everyone should make it a regular part of their monthly health regimen.

It's one thing to call it "detox" and another to call it eating a healthy diet.

The point that you and so many others have missed, spectacularly in some cases is that your own body continually sorts the wheat from the chaff so to speak.
The idea of being able to eat or drink what you want then having a day or two "detoxing" is ridiculous and completely false.
There's no quick fix, sorry.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Lol it is The Guardian.

Don't waste your time reading that trash.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: george_gaz

Here are some more:

Debunking detox
In January 2009 VoYS released The Detox Dossier a report of their hunt for evidence behind the claims made about detox products and diets. After an initial survey, VoYS investigated 15 products that were sold in a range of mainstream supermarkets and pharmacies including foot pads, diet supplements and hair straighteners. The manufacturers were contacted to find out what evidence they had for the product claims and what they meant by ‘detox’.

The Detox Dossier

DetoxDossierThey found:

No two companies seem to use the same definition of ‘detox’.
Little, and in most cases no, evidence was offered to back up the detox claims.
In the majority of cases, producers and retailers contacted by the young scientists were forced to admit that they are renaming mundane things, like cleaning or brushing, as ‘detox’.
The dossier concluded that ‘detox’, as used in product marketing, is a myth and worryingly many of the claims about how the body works were wrong and in some cases the suggested remedies were potentially dangerous.

- See more at: www.senseaboutscience.org...

The detox myth: Trust your body and stop wasting money on juices

Products offering an easy detox 'are a waste of time'

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join