It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Can’t Detox Your Body. It’s A Myth.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: humanityrising

Yeah, giving your organs a rest is also called "dying".

There are over 100 documented medical studies which confirm that intermittent fasting, (ie..."giving your organs a rest") is extremely beneficial to your health, and actually increases one's lifespan.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
There are over 100 documented medical studies which confirm that intermittent fasting, (ie..."giving your organs a rest") is extremely beneficial to your health, and actually increases one's lifespan.

Starving releases a hormone from the liver which slows cell division , extending life-span ...
sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121016103411.htm

But there is no "detox" going on.
edit on DecemberTue, 09 Dec 2014 19:10:24 -0600pm12k12345 by Frank12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Pardon?

And you would be correct, after trying several different types only one really worked.

Actually, if you didn't feel better I would stop using them too.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Oh ye of little knowledge! Sure, the cleanse idea is tossed around too much, especially when it comes to "quick fixes" as if you can go right back to your crappy lifestyle afterwards, and especially when it involves manufacturers selling "kits" that don't really work.

But if you do the proper things, the proper way, the proper methods, YOURSELF, through research, there is a goldmine of health waiting for you. Yes, your liver can build up sludge and work more sluggishly, yes, things DO get backed up in your colon even if you still go to the bathroom, etc. I spent 2 years doing various cleanses, through research, and one of the first things I learned is that those "kits" don't work. I also learned that doctors know NOTHING about them because that is not their business.

My eyesight has improved, a ton of minor, and a couple of major health problems that NO doctor could fix for 15 years, disappeared in the short time I did these things. It takes: taking your health into your own hands. EVERYONE wants a "kit", a doctor to tell them what to do and what to take. There is NO one size fits all - you have to take your health into your own hands and research, and figure out what is best for you.

But the idea that cleanses are a myth, THAT is the myth!

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Frank12345

Starving releases a hormone from the liver which slows cell division , extending life-span ...
But there is no "detox" going on.

With all due respect, that's inaccurate.

I'm not talking about starving. I'm talking about short fasts. "Starving" denotes extreme, extended caloric deficiency that will actually damage your internal organs. Starving will in no way extend your life span.
And yes, fasting does detoxify the body. When the fat reserves are used for energy during a fast, they release the stored chemicals from the fatty acids into the system and are then eliminated through the above mentioned organs.
That is a scientific fact.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: Thebel

I don't know about detoxing effects of Milk Thistle but it is supposed to help repair the liver which the liver will detox your body that is what is supposed to do.

Bottle of Milk Thistle at the health food store is about $6 and you only take a few drops a day. I wouldn't even put that into the category of detox regimens.

Honestly, it's not that hard to understand. People floss their teeth, why? Because otherwise, gunk builds up and tends to rot the teeth away, causing problems, infection sometimes - bad teeth. Flossing your body, your liver, your digestive tracts - same frigging thing!

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I only gleamed some of the replies to the OP but seriously... the body can't be detoxed? I see SO many toxic individuals in my day to day. It's very easy to spot a toxic body from a "cleaner" one. Detoxifying has more to do with a cleansing of the gastro-tract and organs than a removal of toxins. Costly? From what I've personally seen major results from, a true detox/cleanse shouldn't cost anything extra because it has do with changes in diet, adding exercise and even fasting which can save money.
edit on 9-12-2014 by kronos11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
Some detox stuff I have taken over the years work other don't, the results are what they are.
For me the greatest result was with Japanese detox foot pads, when first applied they come out dark brown almost black just like feces, but after you put them on every day, over time they get lighter and lighter, until almost no colour is seen almost beige, then you know they did there job. I also had them analyzed by a professional lab to see if they were working, and they were as at least 7 metals were found in them, they pulled them out of my system..

I can also attest to these foot patches.. not sure to what extent but I had the exact same results. When I first used them they would collect the black material and as time went on the color got lighter until it wasn't even pulling anything anymore. Don't understand how it works exactly but they did.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueMule
When I saw the thread title and author I just rolled my eyes.

Nothing to see here, this thread is toxic.

This made me laugh.

Sorry Grimpachi, I respect you and your opinions, and I like your style, but dang you have a few "haters"(for lack of a better term).

I apologize for my thread space wasting reply.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

lol

Yeah I guess I am a lovem hatem type. I figure it is fine because either way the thread is being read.

Well there are those who just read the title and no further but that can be fun as well.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   

... I'm talking about short fasts ... When the fat reserves are used for energy during a fast, they release the stored chemicals from the fatty acids into the system and are then eliminated through the above mentioned organs.

During a "short fast " , (e.g. 1 day or less), the body will use glycogen stored in the liver first, rather than burn fat...

" ... For the next 8–12 hours, glucose derived from liver glycogen is the primary source of blood glucose used by the rest of the body for fuel ... "
wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogen#Liver

Only after the glycogen has run out does the body use fat.

...That is a scientific fact ...

He said without a link to a scientific source.
edit on DecemberWed, 10 Dec 2014 00:38:08 -0600am12k12345 by Frank12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: GoShredAK

I am not really worried about the artificial sweeteners. I am sure they can be detrimental at high levels. I read through your attached thread articles and the levels they were testing at were insane IMO.

That would translate to 240 g sucralose, or more than 20,000 individual packets of Splenda per day, for 28 days for a 176-pound person,

It is in the Muscle Milk which I like because it keeps me from getting hungry. I lost a lot of weight since I substituted that for a lunch and I put 1 and a half in my coffee each morning. So I am was below the 20,000 mark besides I weigh 210 so I have extra room their.lol.

You will probably hate what I have to say on this but I am not a non-GMO person. I love my beefsteak tomatoes and such. Maybe one day the scientific community will raise the alarm against GMOs but until then I will shop at the regular grocery stores. If foods made that much of a difference being GMO or Non GMO then why was I in such good shape in the military. I don't even want to know what they put in MRE's. lol

Balanced diet I can understand coupled with exercise. I am just not a whole foods person.

I Appreciate the info though.

Well, to each their own I suppose.

I hate to break it to you though. There is no magic drink or short, effortless program that'll magically erase the cummulative effect of poor diet choices. That's a myth.
So, if you are at all concerned with cleansing your body I have tried to point you in the right direction. It may require giving up beefsteaks, not necessarily tomatoes.

I don't buy the figures that are meant to convince us artificial sweeteners are safe so long as we don't consume mass amounts of them. Our body's aren't designed to break down those chemicals, period.

In the militiary you were probably young and very active, both mentally and physically, mind over matter, and motivation. Possibly?

(I've been meaning to mention 2nd ferment Kombucha tea, it's fizzy like a soda, yet it is an insanely beneficial super drink which has been called an elixir of immortality since ancient times.)
edit on 10-12-2014 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: kronos11

I only gleamed some of the replies to the OP but seriously... the body can't be detoxed? I see SO many toxic individuals in my day to day. It's very easy to spot a toxic body from a "cleaner" one. Detoxifying has more to do with a cleansing of the gastro-tract and organs than a removal of toxins. Costly? From what I've personally seen major results from, a true detox/cleanse shouldn't cost anything extra because it has do with changes in diet, adding exercise and even fasting which can save money.

In that case it's a change of diet that works NOT a detox!
And it's a change of diet over a prolonged period of time, not the odd day or two.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: kronos11

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
Some detox stuff I have taken over the years work other don't, the results are what they are.
For me the greatest result was with Japanese detox foot pads, when first applied they come out dark brown almost black just like feces, but after you put them on every day, over time they get lighter and lighter, until almost no colour is seen almost beige, then you know they did there job. I also had them analyzed by a professional lab to see if they were working, and they were as at least 7 metals were found in them, they pulled them out of my system..

I can also attest to these foot patches.. not sure to what extent but I had the exact same results. When I first used them they would collect the black material and as time went on the color got lighter until it wasn't even pulling anything anymore. Don't understand how it works exactly but they did.

Get one of the foot patches.
Apply hot water or steam.
Watch the colour change.

It's done simply by impregnating a chemical which reacts with moisture (eg foot sweat) into the pad.

What you have to think about is how do these pads work.

What biochemical mechanism are they using to draw these "toxins" from all around your body then actually out through the skin (and the skin of your soles is quite thick).
Seriously, think about it logically for a while.

EDIT: I've just noticed I have a pair of the anti-gullibility foot pads left. Do you want them?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Without a shadow of a doubt there are scams out there when it comes not only to detoxifying your body, just like there are a plethora of scams in most other subjects in daily life. But, when an article, or website proclaims that there are no real detox solutions, there is something wrong there.

First of all, eating a healthy diet is a way to detox your body. Eating fruits, vegetables, grains, or healthy juices and lots of water is a way to detoxify your body, so I have to question the intent of Edzard Ernst in proclaiming that it doesn't.

Will these methods rid you completely of all toxins? no, but apart from helping your body to get rid of toxins, and unhealthy fat, they also make it easier for your body to do so, and of course help you lead much healthier lives.

How exactly does saying that eating fruits and vegetables benefit a scammer? Do they have control of where you buy your fruits and vegetables from? no.

Then there are other forms of detoxifying your body that also help you lead healthier lives.

The following is based on research which contradicts the claims made by Edzard Ernst.

Fasting triggers stem cell regeneration of damaged, old immune system

Protection from chemotherapy immunosuppression indicates effect could be conserved in humans

In the first evidence of a natural intervention triggering stem cell-based regeneration of an organ or system, a study in the June 5 issue of the Cell Stem Cell shows that cycles of prolonged fasting not only protect against immune system damage — a major side effect of chemotherapy — but also induce immune system regeneration, shifting stem cells from a dormant state to a state of self-renewal.

In both mice and a Phase 1 human clinical trial involving patients receiving chemotherapy, long periods of not eating significantly lowered white blood cell counts. In mice, fasting cycles then “flipped a regenerative switch,” changing the signaling pathways for hematopoietic stem cells, which are responsible for the generation of blood and immune systems, the research showed.

The study has major implications for healthier aging, in which immune system decline contributes to increased susceptibility to disease as people age. By outlining how prolonged fasting cycles — periods of no food for two to four days at a time over the course of six months — kill older and damaged immune cells and generate new ones, the research also has implications for chemotherapy tolerance and for those with a wide range of immune system deficiencies, including autoimmunity disorders.

We could not predict that prolonged fasting would have such a remarkable effect in promoting stem cell-based regeneration of the hematopoietic system,said corresponding author Valter Longo, Edna M. Jones Professor of Gerontology and the Biological Sciences at the USC Davis School of Gerontology and director of the USC Longevity Institute. Longo has a joint appointment at the USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences.

news.usc.edu...

BTW, by "prolonged fasting" they are talking about a max of 4 day water fast, and not the excessive water wasting that too many people use not knowing what they are doing and causing in many cases irreversible damage to their organs.

You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor before doing a water fasting regime of 2-4 days.

Prolonged fasting also protected against toxicity in a pilot clinical trial in which a small group of patients fasted for a 72-hour period prior to chemotherapy, extending Longos influential past research.

While chemotherapy saves lives, it causes significant collateral damage to the immune system. The results of this study suggest that fasting may mitigate some of the harmful effects of chemotherapy,said co-author Tanya Dorff, assistant professor of clinical medicine at the USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital.More clinical studies are needed, and any such dietary intervention should be undertaken only under the guidance of a physician.

“We are investigating the possibility that these effects are applicable to many different systems and organs, not just the immune system,” said Longo, whose lab is in the process of conducting further research on controlled dietary interventions and stem cell regeneration in both animal and clinical studies.

The study was supported by the National Institute of Aging of the National Institutes of Health (grant numbers AG20642, AG025135, P01AG34906). The clinical trial was supported by the V Foundation and the National Cancer Institute of the National Institutes of Health (P30CA014089).

news.usc.edu...

But again, it is your choice whether or not you want to lead a healthier lifestyle. I am not sure how anyone would benefit from stating that eating healthy, drinking lots of water, and doing an occasional 2-4 day water fast every 6 months would benefit them since they gain no money from stating this.

Below is another link written by Catharine Paddock PhD that corroborates the above research.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

edit on 10-12-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment and link.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

Placebo effect.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Define "giving your organs a rest". They're working 24/7. If they weren't, you'd be dead.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Edzard Ernst in the Guardian article was referring to scam detox diets not fasting.
So I think you've missed the point of the thread (you're not on your own btw).

The studies you're citing aren't suggestive at all that fasting "detoxifies" the body, rather that it MAY stimulate stem cell production in people who are immuno-compromised.
It states nothing about detox.
So none of them actually disprove the original article in the slightest.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Actually no because I tried maybe 8 different kinds and only one really worked, all claimed to work.
And many of these actually came from the same company.

Also I did the water test to and saw it get darker, but that doesn't address how over time it went from very dark to very light.

I also gave it to a friend to use and he said it didn't work for him, just like some medication doesn't work as well for some people, I don't think these work for everybody either.
I am going to try and find my lab work and so I can scan it and post it, I had the lab work done because I was thinking it might all be bogus propaganda too. When it came back I was very surprised actually.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: ColeYounger

Define "giving your organs a rest". They're working 24/7. If they weren't, you'd be dead.

Made sense to me.

It is like the difference between a day of hard labor and a day of light relaxing activity.

Obviously your organs can't cease to operate, but we can do them a favor and lighten the load every now and then.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join