It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Can’t Detox Your Body. It’s A Myth.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Roger that.

I may have jumped the gun, no offense intended towards OP or anybody. I just got mad when I read "before you dust off that juicer..." Heck Ya dust off the juicer! That's a great idea.

I feel my post somewhat applies. It seems like this study was put out there to dissuade people from thinking they actually can heal themselves.
edit on 8-12-2014 by GoShredAK because: oops

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Sorry my OP wasn't clear on that. This is about detox regimens. You know the quick fix for unhealthy lifestyles.

There is no doubt that eating healthy will do wonders for a person which is something I personally don't do for whatever reasons. Just cutting out the beer would do wonders for me but lifestyle wins over healthy.

I had been thinking about the cleanses for a while and came across this article today which made me decide not to waste my money on them. It is back to change my lifestyle or deal with it. I am still contemplating a 3 day fast accompanied by a tweak in lifestyle.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

No I'm sorry, I think your OP was plenty clear, I just jumped the gun.

That's a tough one, I think small changes here and there by themselves will be much more beneficial than a fast. With the fast you're being rough on yourself and it sets you up for a big rebound. It's tough to live healthy these days, you really have to get passionate about it.

I too am trying to cut back on the beer It's holding me back for sure, but hey I'm only having two a night now instead of a six-pack!

edit on 8-12-2014 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Not sure how the fast does not fit into your thought process as quackery.

Just as many people find that fasting has NO measurable effects on detoxing, and no scientific causality has been connected with this.

Especially for 3 days, everytime you do this different results will be had.

You make it sound like everything that has been learned out there is a scam, well maybe a reason for that is , that we are all different, and I bet you CAN do things to dramatically improve the body, and CAUSE detoxification much faster, and deal with the side effects, which you call withdrawal.

A hell of a lot of people are feeling a lot better, than you think, and not from just eating habits change.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Water fasting is the way to detox.

Your body will heal itself.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

Not sure how the fast does not fit into your thought process as quackery.

Just as many people find that fasting has NO measurable effects on detoxing, and no scientific causality has been connected with this.

I don't think I ever claimed fasting had a detoxifying effect.

If I do, do a fasting I will research it a bit more beforehand but to answer you no I don't consider that as quackery.

Especially for 3 days, everytime you do this different results will be had.

Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system, study finds Scientists at the University of Southern California say the discovery could be particularly beneficial for people suffering from damaged immune systems, such as cancer patients on chemotherapy.
It could also help the elderly whose immune system becomes less effective as they age, making it harder for them to fight off even common diseases.
The researchers say fasting "flips a regenerative switch" which prompts stem cells to create brand new white blood cells, essentially regenerating the entire immune system.

Prolonged fasting forces the body to use stores of glucose and fat but also breaks down a significant portion of white blood cells.

During each cycle of fasting, this depletion of white blood cells induces changes that trigger stem cell-based regeneration of new immune system cells.

Scientists found that prolonged fasting also reduced the enzyme PKA, which is linked to aging and a hormone which increases cancer risk and tumor growth.

"When you starve, the system tries to save energy, and one of the things it can do to save energy is to recycle a lot of the immune cells that are not needed, especially those that may be damaged,"www.cell.com...

It looks as though scientific studies are in disagreement with you.

You make it sound like everything that has been learned out there is a scam, well maybe a reason for that is , that we are all different

Really??? Not once have I said everything is a scam I believe I have been pretty specific here. I do believe there are a lot of scams out there I have seen plenty posted here and other places. The health industry seems to be full of scam artists out to get your money.

and I bet you CAN do things to dramatically improve the body, and CAUSE detoxification

Can you explain exactly what is being detoxified?? What are the toxins??

and deal with the side effects, which you call withdrawal.

Well the article does talk about detox which is real that deals with addictive substances and the only time I called it withdraw was responding to someone who said they were coming off of opiates. Opiates are drugs. Hero-in is in the opiate family so is fentanyl, morphine and many others so yes the symptoms he described is what is called withdraw. If you are not familiar with that terminology or effects from opiate withdraw count yourself lucky. As I said I have had that unfortunate experience.

A hell of a lot of people are feeling a lot better, than you think, and not from just eating habits change.

OK that is nice. Are you saying that they feel better from drinking nasty tasting concoctions some which are full of laxatives? You know detox regimens.
edit on 9-12-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prime80
Water fasting is the way to detox.

Your body will heal itself.

Have you ever done it before? I read that after the first 24 hours the hunger goes away or calms.

I have 2 to 3 surgeries a year and have had complications before from infections and since fasting is supposed to kickstart the immune system I am really contemplating a 3 day water fast before my next surgery.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   

I have, I started out doing 1 day water fasts and worked my way up. My longest fast was 3 days.

You do get over the hunger but that 3rd day for me is when my body gets really weak.

I do recommend it.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Detox gimmicks are such hokey BS crap. It's like saying "Here, add this powder to your vacuum, you'll catch more airborne gunk with it!" People don't seem to be able to grasp that if you need it, your body typically uptakes it just fine and excretes the excess just fine. Toxins (can we define these as anything discernible yet?) should be able to be flushed just as easily unless they bind to something, in which case, please, by all means, identify what they bind to and how to break the bind. Scientifically, and indisputably. I mean, if this stuff works, surely we can see it demonstrated at least under a microscope or with a straightforward chemical process, no? Their peers should be able to replicate the lab work and verify, right?

< crickets abound >

Thought not.

originally posted by: igloo
Edited to add... I have a buddy who detoxes with maple sugar and stuff and swears it works.. what makes me laugh is she is a bit of a lush and it is her way of taking a break from the booze and eating right so no wonder she feels better. I keep my mouth shut about it though.

Maple sugar, eh? With as much maple syrup as I knock back in a year, I should be immortal then.
edit on 12/9/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I have to say I agree that you cant detoxify your body. And even if some of these various health products did work to some degree, how can they possibly work against all the pollutants we breathe in every day that are poisoning our bodies?

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Frank12345

originally posted by: Grovit
... someone at the bar told him that milk thistle will help to heal his liver.
... now he has cirrhosis.

Hopefully the bar serves alcohol-free drinks ...

"... the two common causes of cirrhosis are heavy alcohol drinking and hepatitis C infection ... "
patient.co.uk/health/cirrhosis-leaflet

no man. its a bar
he works there part time. still drinks too.
might as well listen to your bar buddy. milk thistle heals it of course so you can go ahead and keep deinkin

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
There seems to be a bit of confusion here about detoxification in a medical sense and detoxification in a "natural health" sense.
There's a world of difference between the two.

The former is valid and deals with countering exposure to severe poisons generally in acute situations, the latter is bogus marketing and deals with a false notion that somehow you can "boost" the normal screening and elimination process of the body.

Sorry gullible people, you can't.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Not really sure I get the OP. Every time you sh*t, sweat, vomit, or pee you are eliminating waste, which, if accumulated, would cause disease of some kind.

The juice used in a cleanse is not really what's important. The real idea is to stop putting sh*t in your body long enough for it to naturally expel surplus pollutants, which inevitably build up in today's world of all horrible vices at your fingertips.

Humans have fasted on purpose and not on purpose for as long as we've been around. If you're a master of your own domain, try a fast/cleanse and see how great you feel. I promise you won't die...you might be proud of yourself when you've made it through.

To each his own of course. But if you feel the need to poo-poo some people's way of living, then you shouldn't mind when they defend it, especially if it's been beneficial to them.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: humanityrising
Not really sure I get the OP. Every time you sh*t, sweat, vomit, or pee you are eliminating waste, which, if accumulated, would cause disease of some kind.

The juice used in a cleanse is not really what's important. The real idea is to stop putting sh*t in your body long enough for it to naturally expel surplus pollutants, which inevitably build up in today's world of all horrible vices at your fingertips.

Humans have fasted on purpose and not on purpose for as long as we've been around. If you're a master of your own domain, try a fast/cleanse and see how great you feel. I promise you won't die...you might be proud of yourself when you've made it through.

To each his own of course. But if you feel the need to poo-poo some people's way of living, then you shouldn't mind when they defend it, especially if it's been beneficial to them.

And that in a nutshell is why your body excretes it.

And it will carry on doing that at the same pace irrespective of what you ingest to try to help it.

Your own body makes chemicals which are toxic to your body as by-products of metabolising and simply existing so even fasting's not going to help especially for the short time you're able to do it for. In fact, if you fast for a prolonged period of time you will actually do yourself harm as your body will try to produce energy by other means.

As has already been said, eating healthily is good. There's no argument against that.
But what you're doing isn't helping in any way that is different to what your body will do anyway.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: humanityrising

Finally someone who understands (partially), and it seems most people here still don't understand what you said.

Again, the body eliminates waste and toxins on its own. The idea is to stop accumulating toxins for a period of time so that your body can remove the toxins that already in your body on its own. Sooner or later your body will have a minimal amount of toxins (partially detoxified), because you stopped accumulating them, but didn't stop eliminating them.

The most basic way to do what I described above is to fast for a period of time, but that is not exactly the best (healthy) way. That is because your body needs certain nutrients, vitamins, water, etc. to function correctly. Your body is not just one simple perpetual mechanical device, it is a very complex system of chemical reactions, and those chemical reactions can not take place if you don't have the right chemicals in your body. Eliminating waste requires quite a few chemical reactions that you can't get from just drinking water only, or nothing at all.

That is where most of these legitimate detox regimes come in. They are the bare essentials to keeping your body going while you fast. They simply supply your body with exactly what your body needs to continue to function and eliminate waste for you, in a healthy way.

Not all detox regimens are a scam. To claim they all are would be a lie.

However, if any detox regimen claims you can just drink one bottle of magic and you are clean, and you don't need to stop accumulating toxins, then that is a scam.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pardon?
And it will carry on doing that at the same pace irrespective of what you ingest to try to help it.

As has already been said, eating healthily is good. There's no argument against that.
But what you're doing isn't helping in any way that is different to what your body will do anyway.

That is not true at all...

Your diet directly affects your Excretory System. It is completely possible to have a diet that reduces kidney function, and reduces your bodies ability to remove waste and toxins. It is also completely possible to eat and drink a perfect diet so your Excretory System is working most efficiently.

Do you even know what "homeostasis" is? Have you ever heard of "homeostatic imbalance"?
edit on 9-12-2014 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne

originally posted by: Pardon?

That is not true at all...

Your diet directly affects your Excretory System. It is completely possible to have a diet that reduces kidney function, and reduces your bodies ability to remove waste and toxins. It is also completely possible to eat and drink a perfect diet so your body is working at its most efficient pace.

Do you know what homeostasis is?

Being a physiologist, yes I do know what homeostasis is thanks.
I also know understand very well how the liver, kidneys and, to some extent, the lungs help maintain it (amongst many other processes).
I also know that whilst it's possible to reduce function, chronically by ill health or a very long period of having a poor diet (and lack of exercise, sooo many people forget that bit!) and sometimes reverse it with diet it's pretty much impossible to IMPROVE function above the normal.

So how does your "legitimate detox regime" act any differently from the above?

And as yet, no-one has defined exactly WHAT these toxins are.
Can you tell me?

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
When your water intake increases and you help the body excrete more waste, you are 'detoxifying'

The simple act of exercise ads oxygen to your blood, which detoxifies.

Eating more plant like foods like dark green vegetables detoxifies.

Certain acids and alkalines contained in food, help the liver and kidneys, which detoxify. (Lemon water for instance)

Quitting smoking is a form of detoxification. More oxygen promotes cleaner blood and better platelets, PROVEN on lab work ups.

Eating more raw simple food, promotes faster detoxification.

Fiber helps push waste through the body.

Broccoli eats up toxins in your liver and breaks them down.

Stopping toxic medications are a form of detoxification

Sleep detoxifies you.

BUT detox diets don't help you lose weight. If you do, it's usually water weight (you can fluctuate 5 pounds in ONE day). Detox diets being sold are bunk.

edit on 9-12-2014 by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: BatheInTheFountain
When your water intake increases and you help the body excrete more waste, you are 'detoxifying'

No it doesn't. You excrete the waste you have irrespective of how much water you drink (unless you're dehydrated).

The simple act of exercise ads oxygen to your blood, which detoxifies.

Breathing adds oxygen to your blood, not exercise.
Exercising increases your body's needs for oxygen which it then uses for energy, not detoxification.

Eating more plant like foods like dark green vegetables detoxifies.

What does that detoxify and how?

Certain acids and alkalines contained in food, help the liver and kidneys, which detoxify. (Lemon water for instance)

Nope. Someone above mentioned homeostasis. That applies to this.

Quitting smoking is a form of detoxification. More oxygen promotes cleaner blood and better platelets, PROVEN on lab work ups.

Taking any compound in harmful doses is bad for you therefore stopping them is good.
That's not really detoxification now is it?

Eating more raw simple food, promotes faster detoxification.

Wrong again. You can not speed up the rate at which your body processes compounds it doesn't need.

Fiber helps push waste through the body.

Wrong. Fibre helps bulk up waste. Peristalsis pushes it through.

Broccoli eats up toxins in your liver and breaks them down.

What toxins and what's the process involved?

Stopping toxic medications are a form of detoxification

Not if those medications are responsible for keeping you alive.
Also, see smoking above.

Sleep detoxifies you.

LIVING detoxifies you!!

BUT detox diets don't help you lose weight. If you do, it's usually water weight (you can fluctuate 5 pounds in ONE day). Detox diets being sold are bunk.

That's the only one you got right.
edit on 9/12/14 by Pardon? because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

While I agree we don't need to rush from one expensive, over-hyped "detox/cleanse" product or regimen to another, it IS beneficial to include food products and inexpensive supplements to maintain our health. Especially today, with the government actively covering up environmental radiation leaks, and putting out a practically worthless Flu Vaccine this winter (2014-2015):

~ Onion, Garlic and Goldenseal herb kill germs and are a "tonic," that strengthens and tones internal tissues. Onion and garlic have a "breath odor" problem because they release their waste products thru the lungs. People who are heavy smokers, have COPD or bronchial problems might consider this, since breathing out onion/garlic waste might also take out some of their own lung toxins.

~ Vitamin C is very effective against viruses. (Antibiotics only act against bacteria - never viruses.) I take it in pill form that also has bioflavonoids and rose hips. This is especially important this year, since the flu vaccine they've prepared did NOT include the deadliest strain of Influenza A virus H3N2:

www.oregonlive.com...
CDC WARNS DOCTORS THAT FLU VACCINE THIS YEAR ISN'T EFFECTIVE AGAINST DEADLIEST STRAIN

~ Studies in Japan have also shown that Vitamin C can be an effective pre-treatment against radiation exposure:

www.naturalnews.com...
VITAMIN C PROVEN TO HELP PROTECT FUKUSHIMA VICTIMS FROM RADIATION POISONING AND CANCER

~ I also take a couple KLB6 capsules daily. They are primarily sold as a diet aid, but they contain Kelp, Lecithin, Vitamin B6 and Cider Vinegar. Kelp has long been used as a natural toxin-flush for radiation. The Japanese use it in their miso soup, and there are articles on the Internet recommending kelp to people recovering from medical radiation treatments.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
SAD STATE OF GLOBAL HEALTH

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join