It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your personal belief?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies so far, keep em' coming!

That's the beauty (and frustration of this subject) is that there is no definite answer (yet)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
In those 5 billion years, it's almost unthinkable that SOME civilization out there hasn't advanced enough to basically travel the galaxy on a whim.

Sure, but it's also possible that the intelligent species who were traveling the galaxy 2 billion years ago are no longer around. Or even the other one who traveled the galaxy 1 billion years ago, or (say, for rhetoric's sake) the other 5 alien species who did so 250 million years ago.

Heck -- maybe there was one doing so as recently as just 100,000 years ago (a blink of an eye in galactic timescales), but they since killed themselves off before humanity reached the technological civilization stage.

The probability that there were such galactic civilizations who could easily traverse our galaxy on a whim in the past 5 (or even 10) billion years is certainly a decent probability, but the probability that there is at least one in the galaxy right now, in this brief instance of time that human civilization has been around, is lower.

And if we extend the area to include the entire universe, then one question might be "why visit us at all, with the 100s of millions of other civilizations out there; what makes us remarkable in the vast universe of almost countless other intelligent creatures?"

edit on 12/8/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=18746087]ukmicky1980[

nice thread. i believe we are at least being observed with some contact if looked for.i can only go off with what i have seen.maybe we have had contact between us and them but i dont think the government has had a "alien" walk in and make deals. contact can be made by anybody i believe anywhere (not contact by a ship landing,although maybe) it is a matter of wanting to see. im sure the government of most/all counties know about lets say ufos but how can they tell the people when the people dont want to know. people are happy with their lives and if the government does not know the full picture how can they tell the people about something they are not sure about. not knowing what is happening is worse than knowing!

link   
a reply to: ukmicky1980

I do like Soylent's point of view.

I would say my beliefs are this

1) There is other life out there, less advanced, equally advanced and more fully advanced techologically than us in our own universe/dimension

2) We have not been visited by any of these civilizations either in person of by proxy. I think the Drake Equation is useless, because we don't know the value of many of the variables...it's just an idea. If I had to make my best guess as to how many civilizations existed in each galaxy...it would be one. That's right, just one. I think nature has a certain consistency to it across scale and I think the "purpose" of a galaxy would be to produce one intelligent and conscious group...like a womb. Based on this and the fact that THIS dimension and THIS reality have limits, the chances of us ever running into or hearing from another self conscious form of life is just about 0%. Now, that does leave a countless amount of intelligent beings spread across the universe, but just too far away based on the laws of the universe to ever cross each other in any way.

3) I do think that there are other intelligences in play that are not from our dimension or time that have communicated with us, that are maybe responsible for a % of the UFO sightings and if there are truly "greys" they are biological proxy's for these intelligences. Now whether these intelligences are multi dimensional beings, manifestations of some sort of future technology or evolution from our own species or some type of psychic event that is related to our collective consciousness, it's impossible to say right now.

Those are my personal beliefs, as least my best guess as to the reality of our reality as it relates to the UFO/Alien thing. This comes from a person who was part of a UFO sighting, not a light in the sky mind you, I saw a recognizable craft with multiple witnesses from a close distance....and I still don't think they were from another planet in our reality.

My 2 cents...for what it's worth

link   
I think it's highly likely that there is life in other places in the universe.

I don't think Earth has been visited by life forms from outside Earth, as I have never seen any clear evidence of that.

I also think that the probabilities of a species advanced enough to make interplanetary and interstellar travels finding us are very low, as we have to consider distance, the number of possible places to visit and time, so some visitors from another planet (or whatever) would need not only to find Earth, they would need to do it when humans were already noticeable as a more advanced species and before the possible disappearance of our species from this planet.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

i always wonder if the are also searching for the "creator" maybe we are the last to be created so nearer to the creator.
(this is just an idea,not my belief)

maybe us humans are not even what they are interested in,they might just like our wildlife

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Part of my reasoning can be found here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It might sound contradictory, but I don't deny that strange things happen, as it's not up to me to declare people insane or say they're lying or anything. Most people seem pretty sincere about their experiences whatever the cause of them may be. Thus far I'm fascinated by the subject and am open to it but have also found the reasons to 'believe' lacking. I think I may be one of those people who'll have to see it for themselves to honestly believe it. I don't believe in the presence of ETs on earth partially because 'proof' always has been questionable at best and very very often proven hoax.

Look... there's a difference between 'not believing' and 'disbelief'. I don't actually DISbelief at this point, I just don't believe in 'em right now, if that makes any sense. It's perhaps a bit like atheism and agnosticism.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
For the longest time, I vacillated on this issue, but at this stage, I have come to believe we are not alone, and never have been. There are species out there, we would consider primitive, and others so far ahead of us, we are the primitives by a long shot. I think we have been "visited" so many times throughout history and up to today, we should be charging admission to the zoo. If only we could find a way to collect.

On the other hand, I think the overwhelming majority of sightings, abductions, and what have you today, are terrestrial, explainable, or never happened at all.

Our society at this point, is haughty, self-absorbed, self-important, and we think we know something. The more advanced we have become, the less I would want anything to do with us, if I were an alien species. Our ancestors were probably a lot more open than we are, and less asinine. Maybe to their detriment. Maybe to their/our benefit.

I am of the opinion that most of us will say whatever makes us sound intelligent, reasonable, and sane according to society's consensus of reality, and whatever our sciences conclude to be the most likely scenario. And in many cases, I go with that, but on this topic, I feel like I've seen enough circumstantial evidence to go against the grain, and stand with the rebels and the crazies.

There is so much more to our existence than we presently know. Right now, we don't even know the questions, let alone the answers.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

i just wonder if these guys can travel vast distances if a flash (faster than light) by whatever means why not come to earth? it might just take them a day.

i always worry that because us humans cant do it it means it cant be done,we only use 35-40% of our brain,what is the other 60% capable of? i hope we are not giving up on the idea of interstellar travel

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Very valid points, all of them. My own thinking is that once a species evolves to the point that it can inhabit and even terraform other worlds, the odds of total extinction becomes almost zero barring any GALACTIC disaster we have yet unheard of, and even less probable if the species has traveled to other galaxies.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
This is my belief ...

Evolved Aliens ... Have been here since the birth of Humanity in lesser or greater numbers depending on the needs of Humanity

By evolved I do not refer to Darwin's theory ... I refer to evolved in terms of soul ... aliens have souls also

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ben555
i just wonder if these guys can travel vast distances if a flash (faster than light) by whatever means why not come to earth? it might just take them a day.

Yes, if they can travel faster than light they may take just a day to reach Earth, but do they know that Earth exists? Think of all the places you can reach in one day, how long would you take to visit all those places? Now add to those the places you can reach in two days, etc.

Even if they have that possibility, I think that they are still limited by the amount of possibilities.

i always worry that because us humans cant do it it means it cant be done,we only use 35-40% of our brain,what is the other 60% capable of? i hope we are not giving up on the idea of interstellar travel

The fact that we cannot do some thing only means that we cannot do that thing, but something that we cannot do may be impossible to do, and as we cannot do it we cannot really be sure if it's possible or not, we can only be sure about what's possible.

Also, that 40%/60% thing about the brain is not true, we use much more (I don't remember how much we use and I don't remember if we use the whole brain, but I doubt it), but we don't use it all at the same time, as different areas do different things.

And, although I'm sure that will not happen during my life, I hope nobody has given up on the idea of interstellar travel.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ukmicky1980
Thanks for all the replies so far, keep em' coming!

That's the beauty (and frustration of this subject) is that there is no definite answer (yet)

There is no definite answer because humans with their primitive 5 senses and childlike science, arrogance and anthropomorphism, automatically think that an advanced species will naturally be limited to what mankind knows and how he perceives the universe.

Humans aren't even capable of understanding the cosmos. It's like trying to teach pigs how to play poker. It can't be done and it annoys the pigs!

This is so true.....

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein

edit on 8-12-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

What an excellent way of putting it!

I Totally agree!

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

mythbusters,that is what i watched where the measured grants brain doing multiple tasks and measured at 35% by a brain measureing person,sadly it took my brain 10 minutes to remember mythbusters,so not a great start for humanity!

im not having a go at you personally just saying that because we cant do ot now does not mean we wont be able to.
also how is it possible to know how the know we are here,it could be very easy or not. we dont know. your guess is as good as mine

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

olaru, good way of putting it!

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I believe there is life EVERYWHERE out there in the at least one universe, maybe more, that we are aware of. We have been visited and abducted in the past, and visitations and abductions continue to this day. Our vistors seem very intererested in our weapons systems, and esp. nuclear weapony, as well they should. We are a violent species, and I reckon they do not want to see our propensity for violence taken to levels outside of our home here and into space. They will continue coming to study us and see what we are up to. I suspect some of our visitors are very possibly robotic in nature as their species have advanced, just as we seem to be doing the same thing with artificial intelligence and such. I have seen an estimate where some scientists think there may be as many as 3,000 civilizations in various stages of advancement in our Milky Way galaxy alone. And the Milky Way is considered to be a rather small galaxy, generally speaking. Another quote I like is there are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sands on all beaches of the Earth, and where there is a star, there is usually a solar system with worlds and moons. It boggles the mind to think about the possibilites out there!
edit on 08pm31pm5091 by data5091 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ben555
im not having a go at you personally just saying that because we cant do ot now does not mean we wont be able to.

I agree, I am just saying that, just because we can't do it doesn't mean that somebody else can.

also how is it possible to know how the know we are here,it could be very easy or not. we dont know. your guess is as good as mine

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
One indisputable truth about Aliens is ... They existed before Humanity was born
So anything is possible in the big scheme of things

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Their there, they have visited often, alot of sightings are mostly bunk but there are still many that are genuine, but as time goes on especially in the last 20 years the percentage of genuine to fake has grown as tech available to the public has gotten better and as the UFO phenomena has become more and more of a side show where before it was kinda obscure and the general public had little or no interest in it. Also believe they arent all that advanced beyond us (say 100 years at most although they've had it all alot longer).

Everything else is all up in the air really, some of it is so outlandish or contradictory that you instantly know its bollocks and a large portion of what was once thought of as 'the hidden truth' is or was nothing but ego maniacs and sensationalists cashing in on the gullible and un-investigative which makes up the majority of the UFO community.

Its unfortunate, but not something unexpected.

I still believe, just that what i believe has changed and narrowed significantly in the last few decades... no biggie, given the only way any of it can or will be proven is when they show up on mass... until then its all just stories and fantasy really and mostly fake photos, and even if they do show up on mass, a huge amount of what will make the rounds afterwards will be a load of bull... and there will still be alot of those who lap it up, unfortunately.

The UFO phenomina in my mind is dead... died about 4-5 years ago. Outside of sightings, the odd photo the rest (ie all the alien bases, cover ups etc etc) is pointless unprovable speculation and book sales.

originally posted by: olaru12
Humans aren't even capable of understanding the cosmos. It's like trying to teach pigs how to play poker. It can't be done and it annoys the pigs!

What?.. who says we arent? Its a constant learning process not some instant yes/no situation... and dont piss on pigs, they are a very intelligent and emotional species.

originally posted by: artistpoet
One indisputable truth about Aliens is ... They existed before Humanity was born

Is it?.. wheres your proof of that indisputable truth? For all we know they might be younger than us, just got further tech wise quicker for what ever reason (human species has stop started its way through history so often if we hadnt had such a bumpy ride imagine where we'd be today). Sure its a thread about opinion and belief but as such nothing is Indisputable.
edit on 8-12-2014 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join