It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Implant Human Brain Cells In Mice To Create ‘Supermouse’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Supermouse? What is this world coming to? Haven't these scientists seen the movie(s) Food for the Gods?
www.youtube.com...

or the Secret of Nimh?
www.youtube.com...

This just has disaster written all over it.

Researchers took the immature glial cells from donated human fetuses and injected them into mouse pups. The cells developed into star-shaped glial cells known as astrocytes. 300,000 human cells were injected into each mouse, but 12 months later that number had increased to 12 million. The mouse’s own glial cells had been driven out by human astrocytes which are up to 20 times larger than those in mice.
Researchers have compared the project to “ramping up” the memory in your computer.
What was the outcome? Researchers have found that the supermouse is much smarter than traditional mice. The study found a fourfold improvement in memory.

What says ATS?

smallbusiness.yahoo.com...

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Are you pondering what I'm pondering, pinky?

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Nah, just stick a dim witted mouse next to him and all our fears will be put to rest.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I think this is a great idea, how about a soda pop that really makes you smarter! Tired of being dumbed down pop a Reed Richards cola and you gain at a minimum +1000 IQ permenantly per one soda you drink!

I say go for it, been waiting on humanity to evolve. Its about time!

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun
The same thing I think about every day Pinky, Plan To Take Over The World!!!

edit on 8-12-2014 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The next question we should be asking is:

Are there animals with superior glial cells that we can inject into human babies?

Human testing aside, I wonder what the implications, and possible side-effects would be.
edit on 8-12-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Results have shown that these 'super-mice' now like sitting in front of a TV and watching X-Factor for hours on end, some of them even started crying when their favourite "artist" got through to the final round.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Great. So instead of...

...we're going to have Dawn of the planet of the Rats.
edit on 12/8/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Well, all that we would need to do is inject those glial cells into a monkey instead of a mouse. Bam. Instant Planet of the Apes scenario.

Imagine police dogs with these superbrains. They might even become hostage negotiators.

Where can I order my own personal Doug?

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I, for one, would like to welcome our new Supermouse overlords.

Maybe they'll give out better healthcare than the current overlords.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Joking aside, I don't see how somehow making any animals more 'human' would be an improvement on the original schematic. Human's are by and large dysfunctional apes who have a disharmonious penchant for wrecking things.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: seabhac-rua
Results have shown that these 'super-mice' now like sitting in front of a TV and watching X-Factor for hours on end, some of them even started crying when their favourite "artist" got through to the final round.

Ha-ha! Love that. You should also expect that they'll be first in line for the next Smartphone.....!

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: seabhac-rua

Very true, but results also don't lie. Human beings have built civilizations, empires, glorious wonders and even stepped into space. Though we're little more than intelligent, violent apes, we do have our moments of clarity. It's those moments that serve as pillars to our continuing evolution.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

The study found a fourfold improvement in memory

So how do they measure/know that?

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Yes I agree, but the reality is that all these achievements can be attributed to a tiny fraction of 'anomalous' individuals, usually people who the rest of us ostracise. Taken on the whole our species is a ship of fools.

But forgive me, I am a grumpy misanthrope

edit on 8-12-2014 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I agree completely. Heck, I place myself among those fools. Civilization has always grown or improved at the hands of one or two gifted individuals. The rest of us simply reap the benefits (or consequences).

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
These people have lost sight of ethics. This kind of thing used to be off-limits. It's seems anything goes these days.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I agree, just a relatively small handful of humans have been responsible for mankinds greatest achivements, the rest us have just been riding their coat tails and living off the benefits of their hard work.

This type of experimenting makes the theories of us having an alien origin a little more believable.

alien gene splicing with chimps created man, or aliens are us from the future after we have tampered with our genes.

I don`t believe that this type of experimenting is a path we should be going down.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

I agree completely. Heck, I place myself among those fools. Civilization has always grown or improved at the hands of one or two gifted individuals. The rest of us simply reap the benefits (or consequences).

It is true that the "gifted" among us have helped our species grow by leaps and bounds at given points in history, but it is also true that many of those "gifted" individuals could hardly be relied on for the mundane tasks that keep a society functional. Einstein was a man who could get lost, and sometimes forgot to put pants on before leaving the house. The rest of us are needed to support the brilliant ones among us. Also, there are plenty of inventions at the patent office from the average Joe, who saw a way to improve things. Then again, there are also inventions that are either crazy, or scary as hell. Just because someone doesn't have a 193IQ, doesn't make them a useless eater. Brains and brawn work together.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Is this the same work which Michelle Bachman was talking about a couple of years ago?

I am confident though, they are not using brain cells from some blond. They should be looking for some type of changes, maybe even improvements, in the mice they are studying.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join