It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Really, ATS?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ValentineWiggin

I agree with you. Besides, it's more of a collection of BS than an exposure of it. Unless by exposure they mean displaying. Also, the "click to watch current video" display features only men (assuming Ronald McDonald can be put in that category). It creates the impression that ATS is a website owned, operated and intended for men which, come to think of it, seems to be the case. How many moderators are there and how many of them are women? Hmmm.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

How many moderators are there and how many of them are women? Hmmm.

Quite a few.

What an immature slogan to plaster all over what used to be a pretty grown up and professional looking website.

The times they are a changing , not necessarily for the better.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Those NLBS posts annoy me anyway - they're always at the top of the 'Top Threads' page pushing things down. I'm not saying they're not worthy of being at the top I'm just saying their persistence annoys me. They look too corporate and tabloid styled as well.

But yeah the phrase 'one turd at a time' certainly backs up the idea that ATS is full of kids. Which I'm sure it's not.

Certainly doesn't help the cause. Doesn't make us look like a serious/professional bunch.
edit on 8-12-2014 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   

I'm with the OP. For that matter I think there is too much space dedicated to NLBS all over the home page, and it is always one of the top-listed threads.

As for the show itself, I generally agree with the POV of the guy who does it, but I don't care for his continual use of potty either. I'm not some prude or otherwise uptight person either; I just find the gratuitous use of swear words to come off as sounding stupid, and detracting from the points to be made. It just sounds juvenile.

I also am not taken by his delivery in general or the format, i. e. just him talking. Seriously, he needs a co-host and there should be spots by others. What's the deal, is this guy underwriting the site? It just seems like a vanity project.

Furthermore, I thought there were rules against posts with swearing ,yet the management is clearly pushing this show. What's with that massive double standard? Really.

As for being embarrassed to suggest the site to friends because of the NLBS clutter, what about the titles of most of the threads on the homepage? I spend very little time at this site anymore because it is so hard to find interesting threads amongst all the nutty noise.

edit on 8-12-2014 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ValentineWiggin
I gotta say when I logged in and saw the background of the site I was a little shocked. NLBS, exposing BS, one turd at a time?

Really?

That's what you guys are going with?

Way to keep up the image of the site, I have to say I am pretty disappointed. What an immature slogan to plaster all over what used to be a pretty grown up and professional looking website.

Boo.

i completely agree...~!

I listened to about 30secs of the NLBS and stopped, due to a severe lack of professionalism, I'm not even sure what the goal is for NLBS...like what exactly is ATS trying to accomplish with this...breaking into 'reporting news with a spin ' or ..I don't know..

don't even listen to the ATS Live, due to the same fact, nothing is taken serious...imo ..not sure if they've changed their tone or not...maybe it's just me...my paradox is, ATS is the only site i go to for the user friendly navigation, wide variety subjects and excellent membership written threads with a solid grading system for content of the thread and membership.

With a catchy name as Above Top Secret, garners the expectation of a sense of professionalism..IMO ..just a bit of constructive council and feedback ..and I am writing this on a laptop that was sent to me from a ATS member.

ATS, all in all .. you sill rock ..

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

NLBS & excessive advertising make this site unbearable for me at times, hence why I'm rarely here.

Too much hypocrisy...

S N F OP

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Ummm...SPOT ON.....I was taught in web/digital design that lowbrow glitz like this...was the adverse of professionalism...

Gotta hand it to the site developers.......they definitely reached for the bottom of the barrel.....unfortunately whatever they found slithering around down there ended up smeared all over the front page......

I could do without all the streaming vid adds as well......that somehow just seem to launch themselves...voila...not even rollover...just launch..........gotta love that...

Oh well.....it's not my site.........AND...we've already heard that singular rousing endorsement from on high...

Seems they're trying to broaden their base.......leaves me wondering who they're trying to attract...

Edit to add: I did manage to watch one of the programs and........found it to be as enlightening as their catch phrase...

YouSir
edit on 8-12-2014 by YouSir because: I was overtaken by the urge...

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psykotik

^ I thought that was pushing it, personally, without the immature catch phrase.

Are you some sort of Amish Puritan hybrid?

No I don't think she is. I agree with her it's immature. But then little boys always think things like turds or farts or burps are funny. Not saying your a little boy just saying as far as immature slogans it's what boys find funny. I know I raised three and married one.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: sn0rch
And as to the OP. I also agree.

I don't think it is very good to hold the user base to the standards we are held (thought it is why most of us are here) and tell us not to use expletives. yet then use an initialism that refers to an expletive as a means to advertise.

It's edgy though, punches you in the face and says "WATCH ME." - but it's a little too try hard, for my liking. I watched it once, and had to stop. Macho Alex Jones blurting opinion as fact is still .. well not my thing.

I do get lots like it. it wouldnt be as popular as it is, if not.

I'm more a thinker, and a tinkerer. I don't want to get angry, I want to solve puzzles. I don't go out and protest, I look for answers. whispers can change the wind more than fists...
that's the one and only one I watched too. So now I wonder just how popular the feature is .

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Although myself I don't see the one turd at a time statement when I pull up the front page. So now I'm wondering. I see the thumbnails for season two chapters.
My auto correct wants to be politically correct and changed turd to third. See even auto correct agrees with the OP.
edit on 1282014 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I love the name, "NLBS", and the program, but I, like some others, am not fond of turd or fart jokes or even the usage of the terms. I swear like an adult sailor, but these words seem to appeal more to an 8-year-old audience or South Park viewers and I don't use them.

ATS allows Joe to swear all he wants and drop bombs that we are not permitted to drop, and I think the program is better for it. But I do find it hypocritical that the membership are prevented from talking as I normally talk. But ATS can do whatever they want. It's their board.

So, I say, carry on, NLBS and ATS. I will just ignore that group of words in the top right corner of my screen and I'll try to stop clicking on the show links as I scroll down on the right side... (I have a LOT more of an issue with that than swearing or use of the term "turd". Ugh.)

As for SO's "one word response"... it doesn't violate any ATS rule. It answers a question. Only if the word or one-line response is meaningless does it violate the rules. Like, "I agree" or "Bump". If someone asks a question and the answer is "Yes", that's a fine response. It conveys meaning. That's how I understand it, anyway.
edit on 12/8/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

originally posted by: Psykotik

^ I thought that was pushing it, personally, without the immature catch phrase.

Are you some sort of Amish Puritan hybrid?

No I don't think she is. I agree with her it's immature. But then little boys always think things like turds or farts or burps are funny. Not saying your a little boy just saying as far as immature slogans it's what boys find funny. I know I raised three and married one.

It has nothing to do with immature, just with being a male and not taking things to seriously...there are also a lot of mature men who can simply laugh about it.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder
I don't mind the idea of it at all. But what really distracts and actually turns me off a bit is that the site now looks like some wild McDonalds induced kaleidoscope of crazy coloured candy at a carnival. I'm actually embarrassed to show people the site right now because it looks very gimmicky. Surprising after all the votes for a subdued, darker scheme during the last major overhaul.

I think a column of text links would go over much better than the thumbnails.

Yours is the only complaint on this thread I can relate to. I have no problem with the show itself and, if I enjoyed watching the news, I'd probably enjoy it, as well.

It's just the decision to have it blanket both sides of the periphery that's bad. My guess is that it's just like the other campaigns we see here and it's probably paid which is fine.

It would look much better (and still could) if it was just the NLBS logo enlarged and filling the space. It looks like some football team logo but it's not hideous or totally tacky looking like the cheap video stills. With a little tweaking, it could look pretty tasteful and sleek like ATS normally does.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
but these words seem to appeal more to an 8-year-old audience or South Park viewers and I don't use them.

While I completely concur about the use of those words, I also enjoy them as I have a juvenile sense of humor. I like South Park and when they offered the choice of voting for a giant douche or a turd sandwich, it kind of personified the election process in the US. I don't believe it could have been explained any better.

As Sgt Hulka says, "Lighten up Frances".

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I didn`t even notice that until you made this thread,then I had to look to find it.
there are so many ads and pop ups that I don`t look at or read anything outside of the actual forum threads.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I watch it, too, and I love the messages, but I'm still not a fan of those words and I absolutely HATE Stinky! I refuse to watch any episode with him in it... Christmas spirit be damned! LOL!
edit on 12/8/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
but these words seem to appeal more to an 8-year-old audience or South Park viewers and I don't use them.

While I completely concur about the use of those words, I also enjoy them as I have a juvenile sense of humor. I like South Park and when they offered the choice of voting for a giant douche or a turd sandwich, it kind of personified the election process in the US. I don't believe it could have been explained any better.

As Sgt Hulka says, "Lighten up Frances".

It`s just a different kind of humour people have and has not so much to do with being mature or not.

People should shrug their shoulders more and enjoy people having fun instead of being all cynical about it.

Being mature or not, is nothing more as being responsible for what you do, and has not so much to do with what kind of humour you like.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
To top it off the videos linked have always been a cringeworthy level of bad for every single obviously paid for LINK at the top of the homepage. This has gone on for over a year now so I'm actually surprised to see a thread about it so late on.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

So.. no one can expect the 'no 1 line' rule to apply, because if it contributes to the thread and is on topic, it doesnt need to be verbose.

"Really ATS?"
"really."

LOL

Perhaps SO's response should have included the proverbial "CYA" tag "2nd line".

For example:

"Really ATS?"

Yes.
Really. (2nd line)

Never been pinged yet!

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
I for one would like to see SOs post scrubbed as a one word reply.
For a thread that started off headed down hill, this one turned into an avalanche with that reply.

Two points on that.

1) 1-line and minimal responses have always been specific to non-contributing responses. My, "really" was answering a question posed by the opening post -- so it contributed.

2) We almost never take action against any 1-line/minimal response in the off-topic (formerly BTS) forums.

Why so uptight?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join