It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberal UC Berkeley Claims Exemption From Higher Minimum Wage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Berkeley California has raised its minimum wage from $9 an hour to $10 an hour.

But guess who has decided it might be too much?

Right. The University has.

And "legally" they can keep their wages paid at $9.

The irony never ends.

The hypocrisy never ends.

Maybe the admins and professors can chip in a little?

Liberal UC Berkeley Claims Exemption From Higher Minimum Wage

Hyperliberal UC Berkeley Won’t Pay Higher Minimum Wage

Famous nationwide as a bastion of liberalism, the University of California-Berkeley has chosen to ignore a local ordinance raising the minimum wage, claiming an exemption as a state agency.

California’s minimum wage is $9 an hour for all workers, but on October 1 the city Berkeley implemented a local ordinance raising it to $10, seeking to improve conditions for low-skill workers in a city with a high cost of living. However, the city cannot compel state government entities to pay the higher wage, and so UC-Berkeley, the city’s largest employer, has exploited its state affiliation to keep paying 25 percent of its student employees less than the city minimum, according to a report by Inside Higher Ed.

Boyng ing ing ng ng

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Reminds me of crazy old Harry Reid exempting he and democrat Senate staffers from Obamacare.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Reminds me of crazy old Harry Reid exempting he and democrat Senate staffers from Obamacare.

Ha!

I was just going to say the same thing.

Good enough for the serfs but we "liberal elites" do not fall under the rules because we are the royalty.

Liberals are the biggest hypocrites.

This was a big concern back in the days we argued about this but of course nobody would listen to reason:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 7-12-2014 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
My forehead still hurts from the face palm.....

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Apparently, you failed to recognize that it's the state that's refusing to increase the minimum wage. The state runs all branches of the university no matter where in the state they're located. Nice attempt at spinning the facts, though.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Business as usual. My previous job was a tutor, it required a college education and paid below minimum wage. Educational institutions can get away with paying below minimum wage, in this case they paid 6/hour with minimum wage being 7.85.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine
a reply to: xuenchen

Apparently, you failed to recognize that it's the state that's refusing to increase the minimum wage. The state runs all branches of the university no matter where in the state they're located. Nice attempt at spinning the facts, though.

Oh the irony.

Searing.

Not all colleges are avoiding the minimum wage hikes, however. Both San Jose State University and the City College of San Francisco have complied with heightened minimum wages.

edit on Dec-08-2014 by xuenchen because: Ironic

top topics

join