It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US War On Marijuana Coming To An End

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

First of all, alcohol is a drug, so I don't see your point. All different drugs effect the mind and body differently.

Quick question for your pig - who owns your body?

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig

Not all uses of Marijuana go onto the more hard core drugs, but all of those who have used and abused the more hard core drugs have done pot at one point and time, and usually before they started the hard core drugs.

You keep restating this point which means you missed my point entirely.

Smoking marijuana does not cause someone to take harder drugs. If Aspirin makes your back feel better and Oxycontin makes it feel much better, does that mean Aspirin is to blame for a pain-pill addiction?

The point I made was that if marijuana was removed from the picture entirely, addicts would still venture down the same path. Marijuana doesn't cause an addictive personality so calling it a "gateway drug" is mislabeling. All stimulants could be considered "gateways" to harder drugs.

edit on 12/9/2014 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ZzurvanN

The total hypocrisy of it all imo is that they have some drugs which are legal and others are essentially cash cows/human misery factories.

And OT but Rockford!

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Yeah, gotta love James Garner.

Indeed, it is hypocrisy. After all, if you want to drink the "gateway drug" kool-aid, we all know it's cigarettes. For god's sake, can we put that 1980's DARE meme to bed already.

And last time I checked, I own my own body. So I decide what goes in it. Period.
edit on 9-12-2014 by ZzurvanN because: typo

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ZzurvanN

They have no right telling people what to do with their bodies.

That's one thing people seem to forget in this issue, is that it's not just a war on substances, it's a war on personal freedom.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

a reply to: Navieko
Are you so heartless as to hate children? Are not the lives of children more important than the person selfish persute of pleasure?

Seriously, sounds like your the one who wants the "children" to have easy access to cannabis. I can tell you from first hand experience that your average 14 year old can get there hands on cannabis far easier than they can alcohol or tobacco, where cannabis is illegal. Simply because illegal drug dealers don't ask for id.
edit on 9-12-2014 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t
Have you ever worked with any drug users before? I mean those who are hooked on the more hard stuff? I have, and it is not pretty, and what I can tell you is what they told me. They started when they were younger with pot. Do to client confidentality, I am not allowed to go into details on such, beyond what I have already stated.

Now you can accept it or not, but there is one other reality that you need to come to grips with: You want this legalized, you are going to have to convience people like me about such. What can be voted in, can easily be voted out. And be it that you want to think that I am wrong, the other little fact of the matter is that the federal government is watching states like Colorado and Watshington and other states where it was legalized. Very closely, cause it does not matter if it is legal in those states or not. As long as the federal government says it is illegal, they have the trump card, and can put pressure to bear on the individual states, as I believe federal law trumphs state laws in all maters. And if the federal government goes in, then it becomes a federal crime, that carries a harsher penalty.

Two points

1) did those drug users start on alcohol before MJ

2) do you really think jailing users is a sane approach?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I dont agree with legalization of marijuana. Its all about experience. Weed caused dpdr in me. Its a horrible disorder. I hate it. It doesnt happen to a lot of people (like .05%) but still.........ppl need to know about it

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: 5letters

Isn't depersonalization & derealization the whole reason why so many people feel the need to go out and get blind drunk on a Friday night?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

drinking makes it worse!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: 5letters

Here's an idea: don't smoke pot. Why should others be jailed for your personal problem? It makes no sense. Some people get sick from peanuts, but peanuts are not illegal. It's all about personal choice. Don't like it? Don't do it.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: 5letters
a reply to: onequestion

I dont agree with legalization of marijuana. Its all about experience. Weed caused dpdr in me. Its a horrible disorder. I hate it. It doesnt happen to a lot of people (like .05%) but still.........ppl need to know about it

So because it caused problems for you (and .05% of the population) everyone else has to suffer?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Just because someone smoked marijuana and then later in life smokes crack doesn't mean that marijuana is a gateway drug. I bet its more along the lines of who they encircle themselves with and consider friends.

On topic: My opinion is this definitely needs to happen. Big Pharma can sell some of the most potent and dangerous drugs in the world, while a plant is demonized...never made sense to me.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd
On topic: My opinion is this definitely needs to happen. Big Pharma can sell some of the most potent and dangerous drugs in the world, while a plant is demonized...never made sense to me.

Then watch everybody complain as the laws and regulations and taxes make prices skyrocket. One good thing to come out of it will be a degree of standardization and control (strength and dosage is just a crap shoot now), including insurance company oversight and hoops to jump through. But legalization will bring with it all the negatives currently associated with prescription drugs.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No, they can do it all they want........but know that it CAN happen to people. And I like pot...what are you talking about....but I just cant smoke it anymore

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

But legalization will bring with it all the negatives currently associated with prescription drugs.

All the negatives of prescription drugs? How many deaths from marijuana are we to expect do you think, once it is legal and "accessible" (lol)

Here's an excerpt CDC's Fact Sheet on prescription drug deaths:

"Deaths from drug overdose have been rising steadily over the past two decades and have become the leading cause of injury death in the United States.1 Every day in the United States, 114 people die as a result of drug overdose, and another 6,748 are treated in emergency departments (ED) for the misuse or abuse of drugs. Nearly 9 out of 10 poisoning deaths are caused by drugs.

Drug overdose was the leading cause of injury death in 2012. Among people 25 to 64 years old, drug overdose caused more deaths than motor vehicle traffic crashes.

Drug overdose death rates have been rising steadily since 1992 with a 117% increase from 1999 to 2012 alone.1
In 2012, 33,175 (79.9%) of the 41,502 drug overdose deaths in the United States were unintentional, 5,465 (13.2%) were of suicidal intent, 80 (0.2%) were homicides, and 2,782 (6.7%) were of undetermined intent.

In 2011, drug misuse and abuse caused about 2.5 million emergency department (ED) visits. Of these, more than 1.4 million ED visits were related to pharmaceuticals.

Between 2004 and 2005, an estimated 71,000 children (18 or younger) were seen in EDs each year because of medication overdose (excluding self-harm, abuse and recreational drug use).

Among children under age 6, pharmaceuticals account for about 40% of all exposures reported to poison centers."

But everything seems hunky-dory with these legalized drug pushers. I suppose marijuana, with its death rate of zero, might just push us over the edge though. Just think about the children.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join