It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rescue Attempt of Hostage Fails. Obama Defends Decision to Attempt Rescue

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

I'll credit the American Tax payer for that.

They pay my salary, they pay for the JP-8 that powers my helicopters, they pay for the belted machine gun ammo I use to protect myself and my bird, and they paid for the training and equipment I receive.

They also paid for the training and equipment the SEALs received to go and kill bin Laden.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

While I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment, some credit does have to go to those that make the decisions. If the call isn't made from those with the authority, those teams don't do anything.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

That may be true...But being active duty I can tell you we don't have much regard for politicians.

We're soldiers, we do the work.

They go golfing.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Indigo5

I'll credit the American Tax payer for that.

They pay my salary, they pay for the JP-8 that powers my helicopters, they pay for the belted machine gun ammo I use to protect myself and my bird, and they paid for the training and equipment I receive.

They also paid for the training and equipment the SEALs received to go and kill bin Laden.

I guess you are entitled to do the same?

It seems a simplistic view. When a football team wins a game I don't necessarily immediately think that the team owner deserves the credit? But the funds he provides certainly play a part? So do the actual players and so does the coach...etc. etc.

I think logic would mean actually thinking about it...vs. just declaring American taxpayers due all the credit??

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

That may be true...But being active duty I can tell you we don't have much regard for politicians.

We're soldiers, we do the work.

They go golfing.

Understood, and I agree. As someone who was in the military, and as I have many relatives currently serving, I get what you're saying, and where you're coming from, but credit should be given to all involved, be they a lying politician, big-wig General, active personnel, or paper-pushing bureaucrat; without all involved, nothing happens, and that goes for the good and the bad.
edit on 12/7/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

So, Bush gets credit for killing Bin Laden now? LOL!

Yep wasn't for GW 'invading' the wrong two countries. The current guy wouldn't have known where to go.

But then again rumor has it Bin Laden was already dead in Tora Bora.

But then again all anyone has is the adminstrations word on Bin Laden is dead with the mafia style 'burial' at sea.

And the administrations word doesn't have much value if it ever did.

edit on 8-12-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Obama was obviously trying to wag the dog instead of his usual flogging molly routine lol. The dog bit back. I find it odd that our special forces are having a hard time trying to get the hostages anymore under Obama. Seems that he is directly the problem one way or another by telling our special forces when they cant go or when to go and blowing the surprise or he has fired everyone that knows how to set up these missions. This last time they told the Yemeni government when they were going in so they could block off some road, that's like tipping off Pakistan when going after OBL, Its just a bone headed move that you don't do.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: IAMTAT
...and before someone mentions the attack on Bin Laden...also remember that that plan originated with Obama's predecessor.

Not one of them do because it does not take any skill to say GO! I fault them both., Bush more for not turning Pakistan's side of the border with A-stan into a glowing radioactive wasteland after destroying Paks nuclear weapons. Pakistan is a safe haven for the Taliban who kill our men and women in A-stan not to mention our NATO partners troops. They pulled the Mumbai terror attack without so much as a peep from the Pak government afterwards because they knew all about it and funded the op.

The seals and their command are pretty much perfect anymore unless someone else is causing them to get their cover blown ahead of time or flat screwing up their command.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I imagine that Obama is going to be hammered no matter what he does. If he makes no rescue attempt he will be demonized for "not caring." If he makes a rescue attempt that fails, which has nothing to do with him personally, he will still be demonized. It has been this way ever since he has been in office, mainly because there are people that do not like him. Some of these people say they do not like what he stands for, or what he does, but the fact that there are people who will criticize everything he does is a testament to this fact. The true issue is that there are people who don't like him, for various reasons that sometimes have nothing to do with his actions. There are republicans who will never agree with a democrat, plain and simple. And I'm sure there are people who don't like him because he's black, although I do not know how widespread this opinion is, but to say that nobody fits this bill would be ridiculous.

The fact that Obama must defend his decision on this matter is also ridiculous, and I'm sure he understands the ideas I've listed above, and this likely plays in to his decision to defend his actions in the first place. I would be willing to bet that some of those on the right would have found fault with a successful rescue attempt, although it would be difficult to get anyone to admit this. But the true indicator is the fact that there were Obama-haters calling for him to initiate rescue attempts for previous hostages, and who demonized him for not taking action, who are now demonizing him for deciding to rescue hostages. He cannot win, but some of these people will swear up and down that his decisions alone are the reason why he is not liked...It is obviously not true in many instances.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos
www.breitbart.com...

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — An American photojournalist and a South African teacher held by al-Qaida militants in Yemen were killed Saturday during a failed U.S.-led rescue attempt, a raid President Barack Obama said he ordered over an "imminent danger" to the reporter.

www.breitbart.com...

In an early morning statement on Saturday, President Obama acknowledged a failed attempt by U.S. forces to rescue Luke Somers, an American in Al Qaeda custody.
Obama defended his decision to authorize the attack, pointing out that Somers’ life was in danger after a Al Qaeda video was released announcing he'd be killed within 72 hours.
“Based on this assessment, and as soon as there was reliable intelligence and an operational plan, I authorized a rescue attempt yesterday,” Obama said.

I'm on the record with my feelings about Barack Obama, but in this instance, I find that there's no legitimate reason for him to have to defend a decision to rescue an American who was being held hostage.

As much as I can't stand the man, at least it appears that he was attempting to do what a President should do when a citizen of the United States is being held hostage, rather than trying to understand, and sympathize with extremists.

Could he be giving lip service in his remarks about how Al Qaida is 'evil'? Sure, but at least he took what I would consider to be appropriate action in this situation. The rescue failed, but the attempt was made, and I give Obama credit for ordering it.

I understand your position and share your feelings of the man. I won't place fault where it doesn't belong. But with that said, and knowing nothing of what he has said...I'll make a bet. While he took PERSONAL credit for killing Bin Laden, I'm guessing Obama was all full of "they" and "them" about this issue...instead of "me" and "I". I know a weak, self-absorbed, political ass when I see one. So now that I made that wager...I'm off to see what he actually said.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Patriotsrevenge

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

...and before someone mentions the attack on Bin Laden...also remember that that plan originated with Obama's predecessor.

Not one of them do because it does not take any skill to say GO! I fault them both., Bush more for not turning Pakistan's side of the border with A-stan into a glowing radioactive wasteland after destroying Paks nuclear weapons. Pakistan is a safe haven for the Taliban who kill our men and women in A-stan not to mention our NATO partners troops. They pulled the Mumbai terror attack without so much as a peep from the Pak government afterwards because they knew all about it and funded the op.

The seals and their command are pretty much perfect anymore unless someone else is causing them to get their cover blown ahead of time or flat screwing up their command.

Yup...we should have turned the sand to glass. And our military...they ARE the best. But when you put shackles on them and give them ridiculous rules to follow...the become weak. But again...giving the best military in the world credit, even with the shackles they do an awesome job.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I can't stand the president either, but I agree kudos for giving the go ahead. Clock was running out for the hostages anyway, sometimes gambles fail.
I know I would rather die while people were trying to rescue me, than be executed as a propaganda piece.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

While he took PERSONAL credit for killing Bin Laden, I'm guessing Obama was all full of "they" and "them" about this issue...instead of "me" and "I".

Every speech, press release..uttered word by the President speaks to the precise opposite of him taking "PERSONAL" credit.

From his initial announcement:

the United States has conducted an operation that killed Osama bin Laden

Over the last 10 years, thanks to the tireless and heroic work of our military and our counterterrorism professionals, we’ve made great strides in that effort.

last August, after years of painstaking work by our intelligence community

the United States launched a targeted operation against that compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan. A small team of Americans carried out the operation with extraordinary courage and capability. No Americans were harmed. They took care to avoid civilian casualties. After a firefight, they killed Osama bin Laden and took custody of his body.

Tonight, we give thanks to the countless intelligence and counterterrorism professionals who’ve worked tirelessly to achieve this outcome. The American people do not see their work, nor know their names. But tonight, they feel the satisfaction of their work and the result of their pursuit of justice.

We give thanks for the men who carried out this operation, for they exemplify the professionalism, patriotism, and unparalleled courage of those who serve our country. And they are part of a generation that has borne the heaviest share of the burden since that September day.

www.whitehouse.gov...

Just saying...however you "feel"...facts matter.
edit on 9-12-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5
Just saying...however you "feel"...facts matter.

Speaking of which, I think this hasn't been addressed -

Unfortunately for all involved, it was an Obama administration-organized attempt. The imbecile doesn't respect the military and has no understanding regarding the use and projection of effective military power.

Remember Benghazi!

Yeah, uh you might have noticed that the GOP has kind of backed off of Benghazi now that their repeated investigations have shown no evidence of wrongdoing. Well, most of them have, anyway:
Benghazi Panel Leader Defends Inquiry

At a hearing on Capitol Hill, the lawmaker, Representative Trey Gowdy, Republican of South Carolina, continued the Republicans’ criticism of how the Obama administration and former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton responded to the episode.
The hearing occurred more than two weeks after the Republican-controlled House Intelligence Committee released the sixth government report on the Benghazi attacks. The report said that the administration had not intentionally misled the public about what had happened. It also said that the military had not given an order to “stand down” forces that could have responded.

Ah, well. Just like the Swiftboat debacle, I imagine myths about Benghazi will continue on after being disproven.

It's a damn shame the attempt was unsuccessful, but it was worth trying. Good on the spec ops for trying and Obama giving the go-ahead. You can't win them all, and you can't save everyone - but it's right to try.
edit on 19Wed, 10 Dec 2014 19:55:36 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago12 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

You know where the saying on the fly comes from right?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join