It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA torture report could ignite unrest, Kerry warns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
So John Kerry wants to make sure that we don't 'offend' anybody with this new report.

Source

WASHINGTON — Secretary of State John Kerry has asked Sen. Dianne Feinstein to "consider" the timing of the expected release of a long-awaited report on the CIA's harsh interrogation techniques.

Kerry called Feinstein to discuss the broader implications of the timing of publicly releasing a declassified summary of her committee's report "because a lot is going on in the world, and he wanted to make sure that foreign policy implications were being appropriately factored into timing," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Friday.

She said Kerry during the call reiterated the support of the administration for the release of the report on detention and interrogation, but "he also made clear that the timing is of course her choice."

I don't like when they use 'unamed sources', but:

According to many U.S. officials who have read it, the document includes disturbing new details about the CIA's use of such techniques as sleep deprivation, confinement in small spaces, humiliation and the simulated drowning process known as waterboarding. President Barack Obama has acknowledged, "We tortured some folks."

That last line is sickening.

Something I find very interesting is this quote from Jose Rodriguez:

In an op-ed posted Friday on the Washington Post website, Jose Rodriguez, who ran the interrogation program as a top CIA operations officer, repeated longstanding assertions that Democratic lawmakers who are now criticizing it were fully briefed on it at the time.

"In the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, lawmakers urged us to do everything possible to prevent another attack on our soil," he wrote. "Members of Congress and the administration were nearly unanimous in their desire that the CIA do all that it could to debilitate and destroy al-Qaeda. The CIA got the necessary approvals to do so and kept Congress briefed throughout. But as our successes grew, some lawmakers' recollections shrank in regard to the support they once offered."

Basically the CIA is saying that they gave ALL the information to congress while this was going on. Funny how we never heard about any of this. Funny how the secret detention centers were classified and weren't admitted to until other governments fessed up about housing CIA secret prisons.

However, Feinstein, in remarks on the Senate floor in March, said the CIA in briefings to Congress had fundamentally mischaracterized the nature of the interrogations, which she called "chilling," ''brutal" and "un-American."

"The interrogations and the conditions of confinement at the CIA detention sites were far different and far more harsh than the way the CIA had described them to us," Feinstein said.

Now I'm not one to trust any politician. But if you make me choose between a guy who ran a secret CIA rendition program, vs Diane Feinstein...I"m probably going to believe the ladder.

~Tenth
edit on 12/7/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
D.C doublespeak .. politicians playing c.y.a to avoid being charged with crimes ... the politicians knew full well what was / is going on ...

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
This needs to stop, it rings of demonic to torture as the divine lives within each and every one of us. I think back at what they did to human souls in abu ghraib this needs to end sooner than later.

Eventually they will realize that those they tortured were actually thier own souls, and if they knew this before they would have never done it, for the divine lives equally in all.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
D.C doublespeak .. politicians playing c.y.a to avoid being charged with crimes … the politicians knew full well what was / is going on …

Agreed. I bet any releases will be heavily censored and limited to stuff we already know.

No change will result from it either. Maybe they are hoping we will be sufficiently distracted by this "release" to prevent finding out more bout ongoing programs occurring right now.

Tip of the ice burg. If Abu Graib pics had never come to light there wouldn't be this current circle jerk about it in Washington.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Nice find as usual Tenth...

The scary part is that is what the CIA admitted. Just think of what they did that was conveniently omitted. Sure, Hollywood has embellished the spooks and their techniques, but I'm sure it goes way past waterboarding and sleep deprivation.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Seriously, since when were we so sympathetic towards terrorists and their ilk? You would think they have their own civil rights movement or something. The problem I see is using these tactics on "alleged" terrorists rather than known terrorists. They deserve different treatment.

First we were told to remove offensive material off of social media that might offend terrorists, now we are told that our interrogation techniques are un-American?

What should we do? Feed them Big Macs until they become overly bloated and confess?

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

So you're fine with torturing people?

That' idea is OK to you, so long as they are 'Terrorists'?

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

So you're fine with torturing people?

That' idea is OK to you, so long as they are 'Terrorists'?

~Tenth

The terrorist are ok with torturing people, why treat them any better? An "alleged" or "person of interest" should not be subjected to torture.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Seriously, since when were we so sympathetic towards terrorists and their ilk? You would think they have their own civil rights movement or something. The problem I see is using these tactics on "alleged" terrorists rather than known terrorists. They deserve different treatment.

First we were told to remove offensive material off of social media that might offend terrorists, now we are told that our interrogation techniques are un-American?

What should we do? Feed them Big Macs until they become overly bloated and confess?

Oh so your all for torture, what has this world come to when people cant recognise that the divine is in each and everything.

Call them a terrorist and then you can do truly terrible things to them that should be done to no being. Why? Because we are to strive to become better human beings not criminals and villans. We as humans dont decend into masochism why because that is barbaric and if mankind lowers itself to that stature then they are the very definition of evil.

Humans have a divine orgin and have a divine destiny, those who torture and maim would seek to set humanity on another path of barbarism and self destruction as they would place humanity in a place where they are no longer worthy of a divine destiny, only the darkness of self mutilation and self destruction.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

They knew. They knew what was going on. When it was happening and afterward. To try and pretend otherwise is ludicrous. It wasn't just some agency operator who said "hey let's try this and see what happens guys!"

Also, the fact that sleep deprivation and keeping somebody in a "confined space" is now included under "torture" boggles my mind.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

The terrorist are ok with torturing people, why treat them any better? An "alleged" or "person of interest" should not be subjected to torture.

That's not what I asked you.

You are OK with torturing people, so long as they are "terrorists"?

That doesn't make them non-human regardless of their actions. If you believe in an eye for eye, well I will tell you the whole world goes blind that way.

So you are OK with people being tortured then by the hands of your government?

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Man, did I step on a land mine or something?

I am not FOR torture. I am not 100% against certain interrogative techniques. I have clearly stated that these practices are not to be used on anyone but people who have taken the lives of others by the very same torture and brutality that we are being accused of using.

Call them a terrorist and then you can do truly terrible things to them that should be done to no being.

That is a most absurd thing to say and I don't understand your logic. My posts say nothing about "calling them a terrorist" so we can do terrible thing to them. That doesn't even make sense.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Also, the fact that sleep deprivation and keeping somebody in a "confined space" is now included under "torture" boggles my mind.

You're kidding right?

There are NUMEROUS studies that show solitary, close confinement and sleep deprivation are some of the worst forms of psychological torture.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I think Ghandi put it best.
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

close quarters. no sleep for a few days. meshuggah blasting on the speakers.
sure does not sound like a good time but its not when i think of when i think torture.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

So making somebody sleepy and not giving them their own private apartment is torture? Okay, great. Studies show what they show. I still don't feel bad for terrorists being sleepy. Sorry.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I have clearly stated that these practices are not to be used on anyone but people who have taken the lives of others by the very same torture and brutality that we are being accused of using.

Wow.
Don't you realize that your logic is condemning the serviceman of your nation too?
Torture is either unethical or not.
What if an enemy of your nation used the same logic for the MO of US armed forces regarding collateral damage towards civilians in drone strikes?
edit on 7-12-2014 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
humans have tortured other humans since the beginning of humans.
it has always happened and will always happen.

the US gov could come out today and say they no longer torture people...and they would be lying and still torturing people.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColCurious

I have clearly stated that these practices are not to be used on anyone but people who have taken the lives of others by the very same torture and brutality that we are being accused of using.

Wow.
Don't you realize that your logic is condemning the serviceman of your nation too?
Torture is either unethical or not.
What if an enemy of your nation used the same logic for the MO of US armed forces regarding colateral damage towards civilians in drone strikes?

They do use that logic. That's why they use human shields and hide in hospitals.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
good movie on the subject with sam jackson

www.imdb.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join