It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats been accomplished by protesting in Ferguson, NYC and others...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Ok... so you dont think protesting works do you? Well, lets take a look.

One...

Source

Among the problems tha Ferguson has brought to light is the need to update Missouri's use of deadly force statute. This statute is inconsistent with the Supreme Court's holding in Tennessee v. Garner. Consequently, it is important this statutue be amended by the Missouri legislature to incorporate the Garner decision to avoid confusion in the criminal justice system"

Two...

Attorney General Eric Holder Plans ‘Institute of Justice’ to Address Protest Concerns

Holder’s current plans include creating an “institute of justice” that would help continue the dialogue he hopes to undertake over the coming weeks.

Well.. i dont know what that means but their doing it. Its definately a good thing that someone in the black(african american whatevers PC) community and trying to create positive change. All for it, they and we need someone to look to besides lil wayne, and al sharpten.

Three...

Hillary Clinton Backs Obama's Post-Ferguson Policy Proposals

Hillary Clinton on Thursday endorsed President Barack Obama's creation of a task force to examine police practices and called for "whatever substantive reforms are necessary to ensure equality, justice and respect for every citizen" in the wake of intense anger and protests after grand juries opted against indicting police officers in the killings of black men in New York City and Ferguson, Missouri.

I know Hillary is just looking for brownie points but im all for this. They need to put the DAs in check. Gotta get that into the national dialogue. Without prosecutors actually prosecuting them non of it helps.

Please feel free to add what ive missed.
edit on 12/6/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/6/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
If protesting was working they would arrest the damn cops that kill and put them on public trial. Thats justice. Announcing they we're going to look into it some more. ..haven't they had enough time for that already?

They always tell you they'll get back to you…

"We're talking to some people, we're looking for some stuff, we're figuring it all out… and we'll get back to you." --Chris Rock

I think they hoped that by now these events would have blown over and the emotion gone out of peoples sails. I think they waited as along as they could to announce no indictments for that specific reason.

I think now they are announcing they will "extend" the investigation some more and I think they still hope it will just go away.

Hilary is teeing up? She's taken down nations, she doesn't care about a couple victims of the state. Like you said, brownie points.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Good point.

This could go either way. It could be a tool for them to distract us and make us docile.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The politicians and the ruling elite classes of folks are the real enemies behind all of this racial tension going on. They are the ones fueling the hate and division and every other problem in America. You would think that the protestors would take out their maps and go "visit" the neighborhoods of POLITICIANS and the ELITE to do some protesting instead of working their own neighborhoods hurting themselves and their equals whether black or white. Blacks and whites share a common enemy who keeps us both fighting against each other while they live in peace while causing all the trouble.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

They need to look at the Grand Jury process and revamp that the way they're revamping the VA system.

www.cato.org...

Source

People wonder how police officers can keep breaking various laws and internal protocols while on duty......and keep their job. The Grand Jury process is one of the reasons. Unions sticking up for due paying members, no matter how wrong they are, is another.

But it really needs to start with the good one's. Good police officers outnumber the bad ones by a very large margin. They need to speak up in numbers. Until they do, nothing will change.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Taupin Desciple

They need to look at the Grand Jury process and revamp that the way they're revamping the VA system.

www.cato.org...

And that was 11 years ago.

Source

People wonder how police officers can keep breaking various laws and internal protocols while on duty......and keep their job. The Grand Jury process is one of the reasons. Unions sticking up for due paying members, no matter how wrong they are, is another.

But it really needs to start with the good one's. Good police officers outnumber the bad ones by a very large margin. They need to speak up in numbers. Until they do, nothing will change.
edit on 6-12-2014 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
If protesting was working they would arrest the damn cops that kill and put them on public trial.

If protesting worked immediately they would. But it doesn't. I think what we're seeing is another sort of civil rights movement in this country. The previous one lasted years and it did a hell of a lot of good as regards legal and systemic racism. But this country never did really rid itself completely of systemic racism, and the majority of the remaining is located in our law enforcement, justice system and penal system.

The protests we're seeing now are, I believe, the beginning of another movement to address the injustice and systemic racism.

Protesting works. It just takes time.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Taupin Desciple

I agree with you.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Exactly.

I was trying to get that point across in another thread that it was a civil rights issue. Glad someone else sees it that way. It has more to do with class warfare as well not just racism.

The system is rigged for people with money.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I am all for organic protests, but this entire Ferguson thing was contrived by the White House and the lapdog media. There are too many paid protesters and shills like Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson et al to take these things seriously.

So, I don't believe anything was accomplished that wasn't already ordained to happen by the powers that be and I don't believe protesters have any real impact.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Nothing has been accomplished except that a lot of time better spent working was wasted. Also wasted were police resources better used elsewhere.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Ill admit that it was sanctioned by the media so i dont know what to make of that.

Its hard to get behind something i mean. #, how do i decide.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: suz62

No i dont agree.

We need this topic in the conversation, among others and its probably not the most important but its close.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
It has more to do with class warfare as well not just racism.

Absolutely. It just so happens that the poor and the black are many of the same people. Much due to the fact that systemic racism wasn't extinguished in the 50s and 60s, and racist policies and procedures have been allowed to continue. There are a lot of factors.

Poverty Statistics
edit on 12/6/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

If protesting worked immediately they would. But it doesn't.

You cited the 60s movements and a positive outcome over time. That was a different era. Look at what happened to Occupy. That was squashed by all the authorities and the media, too.

Sure the cops are going to "straighten up and fly right" …for a while, anyway. We'll see about any real change. This government unjustly takes down whole nations.

They don't care about a couple of dead _______. Or any protest about it.

edit on 6-12-2014 by intrptr because: bb cods

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Sure the cops are going to "straighten up and fly right" …for a while, anyway. We'll see about any real change.

Yeah. I straddle the line of having hope and feeling pure desperation about the situation (and I mean the whole country's *messed* up situation). I think you're probably right, but I hang onto my hope.
edit on 12/6/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Was there protesting? Really?

If there was, it was overshadowed by the fires, looting, and criminal behavior.

What's been accomplished by this type negative behavior? Which seems to stereotype a specific group.

Responsible change requires responsible behavior.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

There are protests going on all around the country. Peaceful, respectful protests. This is way bigger than Ferguson.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: Annee

There are protests going on all around the country. Peaceful, respectful protests. This is way bigger than Ferguson.

Too little, too late.

We are at odds on this one.

I support the LEO in the Ferguson shooting. I support the transcripts.

Making this a racist issue is wrong IMO.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

…but I hang onto my hope.

There's always hope. And the double edge Internet.
edit on 6-12-2014 by intrptr because: bb code

top topics

<<   2 >>

join