It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Burj Tower - 2640ft - worlds tallest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Dubai is to receive the world's tallest tower - the 2640ft Burj Tower. This is almost 0.5 miles high and will surely make history. After several months, Samsung is to fund this magnificent architecture. It will be completed in about 4 years time.

news.bbc.co.uk
South Korea's Samsung Corporation has won the contract to build the world's tallest building, the Burj Tower in Dubai.

Samsung won the $306m(�160m) deal, after an 11-month bid process.

The concrete and steel tower will be part of an $8bn(�4.2bn) 500-acre project in the United Arab Emirates.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is this building set to be one of the greatest architectures of this millenium? Who knows what man will create in the future. In the past, we have had the Eygptian pyramids, great wall of china etc. I really think it shows what we humans today are capable of.

But also in the world today is terrorism and I dont see this going away. Is this building going to be strong enough to resist a terror attack? If planes were to crash similar to 9/11 would this event be bigger than ever?

Is all this money worth one big building or is it a waste? Looking at the example of what it looks like, it looks stunning. Can you imagine standing at the bottom looking upwards? You probably see clouds, lol!

Click here for the main site dedicated to this tower

[edit on 12-12-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

[edit on 12-12-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I say build it, it's a icon of modern humanities technological ability's.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Yeah, build it. Show us Westerners that were not the best. I just hope that the terrorists dont get to it.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I say let them oildollars roll, they got so much of it, extraordinary things lead to new developments that will show up in the ordinary consumermarket.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
It looks amazing. I can't wait to see it done being built. I also think it is worth the money to build it. I was reading through the site and I saw the words luxury apartments. I wonder how much it costs to live there?

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I love big buildings like that, but one major difference between these new technological marvels and the old ones like The Pyramids or The Great Wall is that all these new ones require maintenance and more importantly power. Do you realize that the earthquake and windsheer balancing systems (counterweights moved opposite to sway) in many of these buildings require computers and uninterrupted power to run them? The Pyramids and The Great Wall have stood for thousands of years. Do we think these new monuments to human progress will?

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I dont think it will be a terrorist target, since the United Arab Emirates isn't "going after" terrorism, also I dont think they would take it down just because its big and important, there is taller buildings then WTC and if they wanted they could of crashed into those, but they shose a defence building and Finacial building.

- damn, I was hoping the NewYork would have the tallest building in the world once again, with the 1,776 ft tall Freedom Tower.

But never the less, I'm glad there building it, though I wonder if it will be steel & concrete or if they will add something else in order for that height.

Dubai has been trying very hard to become the "Middle East Las Vegas" and this building is a step to continue towards that path.

I have been impressed by there engineering plans over there, they have a lot of oil money and they are spending it one some amazing things.

Heres my top 3:
My FAVORITE, called "The World" its a constelation of islands the from a sky view mirrors the earth's continents.The World link w/ a video clip

My second favorite is "Palm Island", They are building 2 islands that look like Palm trees.
Palm Island link w/ a video clip

My third is there "Underwater Hotel", where you can sleep with the fishes.
Underground Hotel

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
for some reason, the tower reminds me of the lord of the rings, lol. does it to you?

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Breathtaking is the word that comes to mind. And 160 stories tall! The price tag of $306 has got to be just a starting point - I don't think they'll ever stay in that budget.

Murcielago, thanks for the pictures, very nice. I had no idea that there was that magnitude of building going on over there.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
I love big buildings like that, but one major difference between these new technological marvels and the old ones like The Pyramids or The Great Wall is that all these new ones require maintenance and more importantly power. Do you realize that the earthquake and windsheer balancing systems (counterweights moved opposite to sway) in many of these buildings require computers and uninterrupted power to run them? The Pyramids and The Great Wall have stood for thousands of years. Do we think these new monuments to human progress will?

You build a building when you know what it will be used for, if you plan on people living there while working there and everything then you need safety precedures in order, as well as modern day comforts, and a counter weight for the wind, But they dont have to worry about Earthquakes over there.

The pyramids survived all these years because it wasn't build for people to live in or have million enter it every day. If we built more solid structure it would last longers, but we couldn't get as much joy out of it. Like the St. Loiuse Arch, It has a little tram inside of it to bring people to the top of it, so they can be in aww of itss size and surroundings, It was projected that it would last for 1,000 years! Which obviosly anything can last that long with major overhauls every 100 years or so.

I think this building will last a long time. I really like the look of it, I have seen some more close up shots of it and it looks really cool.

your welcome jsobecky, I just figured I'd share some of the other amazing structures they are building.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
If that is to be the most major accomplishment of the 21st century, it will be a 'shoot yourself in the foot' kind of century.

I see some developments that might easily surpass such things as this:

Artificial Intelligence

Moon power system providing all the energy the Earth needs.

Tunnels built by robots, self repairing, and maintaining tunnels to connect all the continents.

Everlasting Health.

With AI in our pocket we could be living in the virtual year 9,000,000 AD by the end of this century, with achievement we can not even understand now, behind us.

[edit on 12/12/2004 by bodebliss]

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Or japans Pyramid city, or the Transatlantic tunnel. The projects we are seeing right now are only the beggining people, hang on for a wild ride.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
What an awsome sight thanks Channy,although i would only marvel at it from a distance,how tall was it?.5 mile,lests say i`d be applauding from about a mile.
Murcielago triple wow i cant believe ive never heard of or seen those structures before

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
For those unfamiliar w/ AI theory of the future:

A time will come my friends when you will not be able to tell whether you are talking to an AI or a real person, and even knowing it is an AI, you might prefer an AI to the real human.

If they ever have an AI w/ human level intellect (in a human brain thoughts travel at 100 ft/sec, in a electronic brain they travel@C(speed of light)), the AI would do >9million yrs worth of work for every year it functions.

How fast will we leap into the future then?

A hundred years after the first human-level-intellect AI is born, we with advances in the original design and proliferation of AIs will likely be living in the virtual year >1,000,000,000 A.D.

With the progress coming out of such an advance in tech, you would most likely live to see the day.

Eternal Health

picoscience.8m.com...

The science of AI needs a breakthrough leap to put it where it needs to be , but that just requires an accumulation of knowledge that is already under way.

picoscience.8m.com...

Sometime in the year 2011 the amount of useful knowledge in the world will be doubling every second.

Talk about 'Future Shock'! This is the 'IN' we need to achieve the AI advance.

picoscience.8m.com...

Bode

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
gps777,

I read an article by a Japanese architect that said with his design it is possible to make buildings that are over a mile high.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss
gps777,

I read an article by a Japanese architect that said with his design it is possible to make buildings that are over a mile high.

Hi bodebliss,sounds like one day we wont have to travel to another country to view their architecture lol,And yes have heard of much larger building`s under consideration,one in particular here in Australia is 1km high but not nearly as pretty as the Dubai tower,here`s a linkwww.wentworth.nsw.gov.au...

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Is that 200mw each tower?

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   
It looks fantastic, but I am drawn to the WTC's fate. How well would the upper spire handle an ircraft impact. Can you imagine a plane the size of the new A380 plowing into it. The upper spires will not be as thick as the base and the posiblity of the plane slicing right through it could happen if the plane has enough mass and is going fast enough. A A380 weights 1000000 thats 600000 pounds more than the 767 that hit WTC 1 and 2

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss

Is that 200mw each tower?

Yeah it is. Construction is starting in January.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
It looks fantastic, but I am drawn to the WTC's fate. How well would the upper spire handle an ircraft impact. Can you imagine a plane the size of the new A380 plowing into it. The upper spires will not be as thick as the base and the posiblity of the plane slicing right through it could happen if the plane has enough mass and is going fast enough. A A380 weights 1000000 thats 600000 pounds more than the 767 that hit WTC 1 and 2

But would the UAE be a target? I dont know, and personally I doubt it. Hasn't the UAE declared Neutrality in the War on Terror?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join