It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit burger joint shows it’s possible to pay workers $15 an hour and still make money

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Be careful what you wish for.
I`m actually kind of shocked that the republicans haven`t been pushing for a raise in the minimum wage to a level where a full time minimum wage worker would no longer qualify for government assistance.
The obvious benefit of doing that is we could significantly lower the number of workers who are currently collecting government assistance and the politicians would gain favor with the voters.

in reality though such a raise in the minimum wage would be screwing the workers,because making just enough to not qualify for government assistance isn`t enough to live on.The inflation and raise in the prices of goods would reduce the buying power of the additional income, but most people wouldn`t realize that until it was too late.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The irony is that instead of paying a livable wage, we'd rather pay more in taxes to support a bureaucracy that people in need have to go through in order to make up the wage defecit via public aid. If minimum wage was honestly kept in line with cost of living and inflation, more than half the people on section-8 and food stamps wouldn't need it. Then it would be possible to eliminate those paper-pushing jobs, and tax dollars could be better spent elsewhere. The working class would also enjoy a bit more mobility, as they don't have to jump through hoops with residency and other hoops with local government organizations in order to get the aid they need and end up sticking around in places where the jobs aren't as good.

Anyhow, I bet that burger place retains better workers than nearby franchises and has good service in comparison. And if it's always busy because of that, it's likely profitable as the guy says it is. Might be worth it to pay a premium if your order comes fast with no mistakes made.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

Yes that's a valid point, I should have been more specific. It would have to be balanced out by decreasing the wages of some occupations, some jobs pay way too much. Usually most of the business profits go to the shareholders, so in order to pay employees more without increasing the cost of prices, the people at the top need to take a hit. Which is the reason why I say that minimum wages should be voluntary and not mandatory. Obviously if we just forced all businesses to pay their employees more it would not work.

So who decides who takes a hit and do you really think reducing the pay for a few at the top would really matter much as they spread it round? I work for Boeing and the CEO I think made 15 million last year...is that too much? For me, if he keeps the company on track then he has earned his pay, but lets say he decides to give it all to the employees, they would get 10 bucks A MONTH raise each....

edit on 7-12-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

a reply to: tothetenthpower

I'm a business owner with four employees, he gets squat from the state. Unless you count all the crappy taxes and fees you get to pay.

Yeah, I've heard it all before. My dad owns multiple hotels and is constantly carrying on with his conservative rants about how he can’t turn a profit after being forced to pay his employees the $20.50 casual minimum, plus the superannuation employer contributions (retirement savings) we have over here, together with the varies taxes and bills he has to pay. But the reality of it is his still making a killing and lives a very privileged lifestyle.

Doesn't really matter what country it is, the rich and well off will always talk like they’re living in rags and try to take advantage of the lower class!

Says a lot that your dad owns multiple hotels and you are not in this family business. Maybe you should listen to what he has to say before just dismissing everything. He has likely earned his "privileged lifestyle"

See, that's the thing. All of these companies say they 'can't' pay their employees more. Well, you have a bunch of people at the top making obscene amounts of money, and they're of course not willing to take a cut...and god forbid there be no bonuses and even increases to income...so, given that all of that money can't be touched, 'since they earned it,' they 'can't' afford it.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

I'm a business owner with four employees, he gets squat from the state. Unless you count all the crappy taxes and fees you get to pay.

Yeah, I've heard it all before. My dad owns multiple hotels and is constantly carrying on with his conservative rants about how he can’t turn a profit after being forced to pay his employees the $20.50 casual minimum, plus the superannuation employer contributions (retirement savings) we have over here, together with the varies taxes and bills he has to pay. But the reality of it is his still making a killing and lives a very privileged lifestyle.

Doesn't really matter what country it is, the rich and well off will always talk like they’re living in rags and try to take advantage of the lower class!

He has likely earned his "privileged lifestyle"

well, if you say so!

Its not like his a particularly hard worker, or whatever. Just in the right place at the right time. But I guess you could say the same thing about the majority of people living a so called 'privileged' lifestyle.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This restaurant is here in Detroit? I've never heard of it and I live here. a reply to: tothetenthpower

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

and there are loads of fast food workers that can only get those jobs because they are felons....thats their problem and choices they made. that should be rewarded?

my bro in laws sort of girlfriend works at mcnasty.
she has 3 dui's even though she has never had a license. she did 5 years for posession of coc aine and a weapons charge.
thats the only job she can get...screw her.

Well what would you prefer, them working or them not working and receiving government benefits and having idle hands?

Not all felons are bad people, some of us are genuinely trying to do the right thing. I'm a felon and i've never been to prison, only probation for growing a plant, and i attend college and have the highest grades in some of my classes. Yet, I still have no job and I've put in apps at every fast food place in town. I'm not asking for anything over minimum wage, I've worked fast food in the past where i was the head cook and wouldn't need to be trained much, yet they wont give me the chance. Also, I'm a clean cut white guy with no tattoos or piercings. All that going for me and cant even get a minimum wage job when they claim to be needing employees.

People need to get off this #. I've said it before and i'll say it again: If you aren't going to allow people the chance to live a normal life just make all felonies punishable by execution. It seems to be what you all want. You want us locked away and forgotten about. I say put a needle in my arm and be done with it.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Bundy

I do think the felon bit can be taken to an extreme. Unfortunately most people can't see a distinction between violent felonies, or white collar felonies, and what you apparently got jammed up for.

Were I a business owner, I doubt I would ever be convinced to hire somebody who had a violent criminal history, or a criminal history involving embezzlement, fraud, etc. Something like your case, assuming you're being totally frank about it, is over the top to me though. Unfortunately I'm not though

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bundy

Well what would you prefer, them working or them not working and receiving government benefits and having idle hands?
i would prefer they work. i would also prefer they not be handed 15 bones an hour to push a button on a grill.

Not all felons are bad people, some of us are genuinely trying to do the right thing.
i understand that. i never said they are all 'bad'. when i kept mentioning felons though, i was meaning more like the lady i mentioned. people with violent charges. charges against children. that sort of thing. it is all subjective i guess. i know not all felons are 'equal. still though. i cant and wont blame an employer for not wanting to hire someone with a felony possession of coke and a weapons charge.

I'm a felon and i've never been to prison, only probation for growing a plant, and i attend college and have the highest grades in some of my classes.
well all i can say it that sucks for you. pretty retarded you get clipped with a felony for a plant. personally i dont agree with the laws reguarding that plant. still though, while i dont agree with it i dont take the chance on gowing that plant cause i dont want a felony. you took the chance. that was your choice, not mine. you could be the best, coolest dude on the planet but you made a choice. i guess now you have to live with it.

Yet, I still have no job and I've put in apps at every fast food place in town. I'm not asking for anything over minimum wage, I've worked fast food in the past where i was the head cook and wouldn't need to be trained much, yet they wont give me the chance. Also, I'm a clean cut white guy with no tattoos or piercings. All that going for me and cant even get a minimum wage job when they claim to be needing employees.
im not a clean cut white guy with no tattoos. i am a white dude that is covered all over in tattoos. so what? i didnt make the choice to grow a plant and risk a possible felony. i guess thats why i dont have a problem getting work

People need to get off this #. I've said it before and i'll say it again: If you aren't going to allow people the chance to live a normal life just make all felonies punishable by execution. It seems to be what you all want. You want us locked away and forgotten about. I say put a needle in my arm and be done with it.

i dont want you locked away and forgotten about.
if it were up to me the laws about this would be different. but, its not up to me and im not going to be made to feel bad cause you are having a hard time. i mean, i wish you were not having a hard time. but, you are. so, it is what it is.

you went to college and got amazing grades. so, youre a smart guy.
pretty dumb to risk your future for a plant i guess.
i dont know what else to tell you.
i dont agree with the laws and regulations about the plant. but, the laws and regulations are no secret.

you cant get a job or a good paying job and that sucks. but that is your fault.

i guess all you can do is keep applying. try to get your record sealed maybe.

there are employers besides fast food that will hire with felonies but most that i know of exclude violent crimes, crimes against children, and drug charges.
dont really know what to tell you.

im pro that plant but if i can go 37 years without a felony for it then you could have to. you didnt. that sucks.
thats the breaks i guess.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Canada?, Australia?, Europe? Maybe your one-time indiscretion won't follow you there. Do some research about this before any big moves..

I'm not that knowledgeable about this... Just heard about the possibility of escaping unsavory choice past through moving away. Maybe it's true?

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Usually most of the business profits go to the shareholders, so in order to pay employees more without increasing the cost of prices, the people at the top need to take a hit.
Which would decrease incentive to invest in that business, which would stifle growth.

Not neccesarily true on two fronts. Firstly I reject this type of theory as much as I reject the threat of businesses all leaving the country as a direct result of taxes being raised. Much arguments of this type are fear mongering - for example I believe if we look at the evidence at the rate of tax we will see more jobs outsourced in a time when taxes are historically lower in western economies.

If there is an opporunity to make higher future gains will a company take the longer view and invest and say cut the pay of their top executives and not issue dividends to shareholders, or will they choose to stifle growth? Who chooses that?

The other point is that this argument doesn't take into account the positive effects of increasing lower paid employees wages. Its well known that the lower paid spend a higher proportion of their income. Its also accepted by economists that as they spend this income (demand in the economy) companies will sell more products. At this point companies can choose to not be able to meet demand and flounder (bad companies) or to invest in their companies giving higher future gains.

So far the right wing economic model accepted by the vast majority of Americans (coincidence / or just a well propogandised populace?) is producing increasing gaps between the rich and poor. In my mind there are two separate things to consider - is this the kind of society we want and is there an alternative economic model to the one currently practiced that has a better chance of both reversing this trend and makes economic sense. No and yes imo.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   

oh .. i truely believe we can pay $15.00/hr...problem is .. 2 meals coasted a friend of mine $24.50 for just the 2 of us and all this contained 2 burger baskets, drinks, and desert...at a burger king LOL.. that's 25.00 !!! and other 5 bucks and we could have ate like kings at applebees LOL

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   

posted this in the other thread so might as well post it here.

its always about the poor workers who work to the bone. the poor workers that have degrees and just cant get a job anywhere else.
i will buy that to a point.
a kid fresh out of school and on his first non skilled job does not deserve $15 an hour when you have people that have been in the work force for longer than they have been alive making the same.

and there are loads of fast food workers that can only get those jobs because they are felons....thats their problem and choices they made. that should be rewarded?

my bro in laws sort of girlfriend works at mcnasty.
she has 3 dui's even though she has never had a license. she did 5 years for posession of coc aine and a weapons charge.
thats the only job she can get...screw her.

they were at my house so she could use my wifes computer to apply for a laundry position in a nursing home..i told her it was never gonna happen. i said those people have valuables and meds on their rooms. they are not gonna let you near the place. well she signed her consent for a background check and thats as far as it got.
they called her to schedule an interview before they ran the check..she was all excited and i said just wait.
the next day the call came in. sorry but we cant hire you. couldnt get a job washing pissy sheets.
her problem...
she is not the only one in that position...
and working to the bone. she gets 30 hours a week just like all the other employees there. some of them less than that.
on what planet is 30 hours a week working to the bone?

let them flip those burgers for 70 hours a week and work 25 days in a row. work 10 hours without getting a break.
do a few hours on the melt deck where its 120 degrees and you have to wear an ice vest.

i dont even want to hear about how hard they work and how they work to the bone.
its a joke.

dont get me wrong..work is work. ive worked fast food and would do it again if it came to that.
i just dont like when people misrepresent it.
work to the bone my ass

And your exactly why the USA has one of the highest re offending rates in the world!

Once you finnish your sentance that should be it, punnishment over.

To continue it and stigmatize former criminals for the rest of there lifes is only going to make them turn back to crime when they realize that they wont ever be able to afford to feed and house themselves, that society has already stigmatized and cast them away so what the point of trying to be law abiding?

Ok there should be exceptions, sex offenders should never be allowed near children and those convicted of fraud not allowed near financial institutions.

But to permanently stigmatize and cast away someone for having abit of coc aine even after they have served there time?

edit on 8-12-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-12-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

And your exactly why the USA has one of the highest re offending rates in the world!

Once you finnish your sentance that should be it, punnishment over.

To continue it and stigmatize former criminals for the rest of there lifes is only going to make them turn back to crime when they realize that they wont ever be able to afford to feed and house themselves, that society has already stigmatized and cast them away so what the point of trying to be law abiding?

Ok there should be exceptions, sex offenders should never be allowed near children and those convicted of fraud not allowed near financial institutions.

i never said i agree with it.
for some things, sure. violent crimes. crimes against children..
still though. its not my fault someone messed up and i am not going to be made to feel bad for them or sorry for them.
if it were up to me for example that lady would be able to get that job in the laundry. its not up to me though.
im tired of hearing about their hardships cause of their record....its called dealing with your mistakes.
nobody forced her to do that.
im all for the change that will open up job prospects....i am not for doubling their wage for one of the lowest skilled and easily attainable jobs.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
You people can keep saying "burger joints" to minimize the utility of it. You can keep calling them "unskilled" in order to minimize their importance.
The fact still remains that it is a restaurant which serves food to a customer base that doesn't know how to make said food themselves and that want said food.

They call this....commerce.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: MrPlow

not true.
i called them meat patty engineers once
be fair

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

.its called dealing with your mistakes.

Thats the problem with the current criminal record system in both the USA and here in the UK the stigma and discrimination allowed makes it impossible for 99% to deal with there mistakes.

When you cant afford a roof over your head or to eat then one very very quickly turns back to crime. Or you end up in such a depressive state they end up back on drugs.

It our problem cause these desperate people then go on to steal off our homes and businesses or drain tax payer money as we have to pay for there in and out of prison life style.

To be honest this is probably worth a thread of its own.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

well, if you say so!

Its not like his a particularly hard worker, or whatever. Just in the right place at the right time. But I guess you could say the same thing about the majority of people living a so called 'privileged' lifestyle.

honestly who the hell are you to make that call? You have no idea what people have to do for their jobs, you have no idea how hard they have to work or the hours they have to keep, you dont know any o fthat..........

Honestly you sound like a spoiled brat, who hasnt worked a day in his life, who wants to complain about big CEOs and big companies while playing on his damn IPHONE, and watching his big screen TV, and playing his XBOX

All things made by big corporations, whose CEOs probably get paid much much more then you think........

Give me a break man, if youre gonna spout off , at least do so with some evidence.........

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Well, here is the issue. If he wants to pay his people that, he is free to do so. Being forced by the Govt is the issue.

And we shall see how the business lasts over the next year or so.

His labor costs don't add up either.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Even if this particular joint can make it raising wages, that does not support government mandated edict. Enough of this nanny state government stuff. The Nanny State has not made things better, it's made things worse. At the decline of the Soviet Empire, people were standing in the notorious bread lines. It is said they had money to burn, but the centralized planning had produced a shortage of goods.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join