It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Apple rigging iOS to sell more phones?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yes i think XP was close to what a OS should be but today we need 6GB of memory and XP worked on 4MB

Mixing Metor with windows was a big mistake because power users won't tuch the thing and metor apps not only tie you down to what MS likes or don'#t don't like but all them little icons are calling home 20,000 times a day just to read the weather or news when you are not even interested.

I should had jumped years ago to Liniux or something but i would not know where to start when it comes to using something like GNU compiler because i've been lead down a one way street by microsoft for the past 15 years.

Bloated spyware junk is what we have today and they call it progress.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Easy answer take the phone back to where you purchased it a couple of days before the guarantee runs out , with the receipt and say it is not fit for purpose whatconsumer.co.uk...

I do this with everything i buy on day 364 , i shout for the manager very loudly and always get my way

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: VirusGuard

I agree, Windows 8 is garbage. That is why they are skipping 9 and going straight to 10. I do like Windows 7 though. While its memory requirements are high, it is a very nice OS to use.
edit on 7-12-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Imagewerx

I dont want or care for any of the phones after the 4s. I will hold onto it for as long as I can LOL

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
a reply to: Imagewerx

I dont want or care for any of the phones after the 4s. I will hold onto it for as long as I can LOL

I visited America for the first time back in the summer (Florida) and came to the conclusion that it is actually populated by iPhones who have enslaved human beings to tend to their every whim and desire.Is this a true summary of this part of 'murica?

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I had an iPhone 3G that fell foul of the moisture fault, that is a known issue with that handset and Apple wouldn't touch it and tried to sell me a replacement. The phone never did work properly after that, so I moved to Android and have never looked back.

Android (on any device) pisses all over any Apple product and the support is far superior IMHO. After all, I've been on Android since just before the iPhone 4 came out and have only had 2 problems with my devices, both of which were me being a total n00b.

Get rid of your Apple devices and buy a proper Android Phone, Tablet and a Linux Laptop and it'll still cost less than a MacBook and they'll work alot better too.

Rev

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Only reason I moved from Win7 to 8 was because of Plug & Go so i could run from a pen stick but then found out that MS had locked out Truecrypt.

I hear that China is beefing up a version of XP and is also building its own O/S after the US accused them of hacking/copying windows so i hope to jump to something like that.

The more i dug into windows the more i discovered that I know very little about what goes on under the hood with the 100's of dlls hidden processes being hosted inside wrappers like TaskHost, SvrHost that i just gave in trying

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I noticed a similar phenomenon. I have the iPhone 5c and once the 6 came out things started getting wacky. I've since cleaned my phone out entirely and turned off cellular data for all apps except my necessary ones. I also reset all of my network settings and disconnected from iCloud by not accepting the terms and agreement.

My phone has been working relatively well since I took all these measures. I also got rid of that garbage U2 album that suddenly appeared on my phone.

One thing I really effing hate about iOS is the fact that it CONSTANTLY reminds you that you have cellular data turned off when you open up an app that you specifically turned off cellular data. I wouldn't even have a smart phone if my job didn't get me one a couple years ago.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vamana
if that's the case then it means Apple has terrible hardware on their phones or that iOS isn't as great as they claim.

Both are true. Apple hardware is not all that good, what they have is marketing terms like arsenic free glass, design aesthetics which are just another form of marketing. Basically, Apple hardware takes the design philosophy of form over function. They make it look nice and 99% of people don't care about what's going on inside where they can't see. Oddly enough some of their code is actually quite good, but then other parts like them being able to remotely access and disable your software completely negates that fact.

originally posted by: Lilroanie
And as for user error, how come my mom can do MORE on my 3+ year old HTC which still has the original battery in it than she does on her IPad which has to pretty much be perma plugged in because it will only run about 10 minutes while she reads in Kindle unplugged? She needs a device to read her books and magazines etc easily anymore which is why she let the salesperson talk her into the POS IPad because the screen was bigger... Le sigh

The number and quality of apps. Every single app you run uses more and more CPU cycles and takes more and more memory. That's a greater and greater charge from the battery as time goes on and that means you can't do anything. I own two phones, one is a flip phone that I've had for 10 years now still with the original battery. The battery lasts for 6.5 days in most circumstances (a prolonged period of poor reception will reduce it as it has to transmit on higher power). In my other phone which is a "smartphone" (it's really not, LG800 Tracfone I believe) my battery lasts for 5 days. This happens because I'm not loading my phone down with a bunch of apps that stuck the life out of my battery.

The netbook I am typing this on is about equal to a tablet except it also has a keyboard and mouse. It too is on it's original battery and is 4 years old. The battery gets 7.5 hours down from the initial 8.5.

Most issues of battery life are attributable to user error.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I would say Apple is definitely rigging the system. You're now lucky to get 3 generations of iOS to work well on a single device. They clearly want you to upgrade every 2 years.

But this is not only Apple. This is the capitalist system where money always comes first.

PCs are the same way, MacBooks, video games, you name it. Video Games are designed to push the limits of modern video cards thus necessitating hardware upgrades.

CPUs are incrementally faster not because that's the speed of innovation, but simply because if Intel jumped directly to 12-core CPUs, they wouldn't be able to sell you single core, dual core, 2.66ghz, 3.2ghz, or for a hundred bucks extra the jump to 3.8ghz.

It's capitalism. We pretend to care about people in ads, but MONEY is what it's all about.

But seriously-- stop being old grannies. Windows 8.1 is awesome, Mac OS X Yosemite is awesome, the new iPhone 6 is gorgeous and works beautifully, as does the new Nexus 6 or Galaxy Note 4.

Too many people cling to old technology. And for what? Is it only good because it's old? Did you hate it when it was new?

Bunch of old grannies. Upgrade already

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie
PCs are the same way, MacBooks, video games, you name it. Video Games are designed to push the limits of modern video cards thus necessitating hardware upgrades.

You can game on 4 and 5 year old cards at reasonable graphics settings. The current round of video cards are so powerful that there is little need for them. We drastically overshot the specs. When the current NVidia cards were being developed the belief was that 3d would catch on and that the cards would need to be able to pump out 1920x1080 3d on 2 screens at once (so render 4 screens). That didn't happen. If you were to buy a top of the line card today like a Titan I bet it would be good for 10 years. Just last year I replaced a video card I got back in 2004. It lasted for 9 years and I was still playing games like Skyrim on high.

But seriously-- stop being old grannies. Windows 8.1 is awesome, Mac OS X Yosemite is awesome, the new iPhone 6 is gorgeous and works beautifully, as does the new Nexus 6 or Galaxy Note 4.

Windows 8.1 is not awesome. I'm stuck with it on my laptop and I despise it. I do not want to use an operating system with advertising embedded in it that tries to get me to install a million tiny programs that sit around eating up memory, space, and cpu cycles.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

OP, it's called "planned obsolescence" and it is not a conspiracy. Look up tge term. It's real and it is part of product design in nearly all industries.

You can't run a successful company if you sell a product that lasts forever.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I don't think it's limited to Apple...

My experience:
At the beginning of the year I was still using my Samsung Galaxy s2. Worked great. Then, 3 months before the launch of the Galaxy s5 my phone became sluggish, the battery lasted about 6 hours with little to no use (although the battery probably reached the end of its life in any case), random reboots and several other small but irritating problems. My partner with the Galaxy s3 - similar problems. My friend with a Galaxy s3 - also similar problems. My boss has a Galaxy s4 - no problems whatsoever...

Luckily I was due for an upgrade in any case, so I got the Galaxy S5 on the day of its launch - and I have not had a single problem with the phone in the nearly 9 months I've had it.

The only difference is that, unlike Apple there was no major OS upgrade... I thought to myself that is was just too much of a coincidence that all these phone started acting up so close to the launch of a new version... There is no proof of this, and probably no way to prove it - unless you dissect each and every piece of code on the device with a fine-tooth comb.

The answer is perhaps - as mentioned above: Planned Obsolescence. I guess Samsung has to follow Apple's example, seeing that Apple keeps suing Samsung for Gazillions of $$$'s - to make sure they can afford all the lawsuits. I wonder if Apple will sue Samsung for copying Planned Obsolescence as well...

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

You can make it...better. Go to Stardock, buy ModernMix and Start8. They have a few others, but that's what you need. Select for it to remain in desktop mode during installation. And, voila! it's like Windows 7 on steroids. Everything is back where it ought to be.

Personally, I also really liked Fences, but it's a matter of personal preference.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gemwolf
I don't think it's limited to Apple...

My experience:
At the beginning of the year I was still using my Samsung Galaxy s2. Worked great. Then, 3 months before the launch of the Galaxy s5 my phone became sluggish, the battery lasted about 6 hours with little to no use (although the battery probably reached the end of its life in any case), random reboots and several other small but irritating problems.

Oh, THAT. That was the NSA downloading their spy package onto your phone. I got "the outtake reel" video from you. Most amusing.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf

I bought my Galaxy S3 after the S5 release and it works fine... strange... I wonder if I'd had it before if it would have had issues as well.

Lil

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JimmyJackjohn

I also reset all of my network settings and disconnected from iCloud by not accepting the terms and agreement.

Welcome freind and i no longer see you as being I-Stupid by trusting a I-Cloud which is just FTP we had 30 years ago with some sugar added.

X-Box servers for microsoft just got hacked and game scores on some games just all got reset because of hackers (so they say) and you think i will upload more than i need to the internet instead of keeping it on a cheap encrypted penstick ? No way man

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf

I have both a Sony and Samsung "Smart TV" and both spy on you but the Sony lets you use a proxy server so at least you can peek or block anything being uploaded but the Samsung does not allow a proxy and does something real strange during a HTTPS handshake so even i can not see whats going on using man in the middle.

Samsung is ahead of the game at spying and this is the only reason i got rid of my Samsung phone.

Android I don't trust because its Google so right or wrong i allow the misses to use a windows based phone and I myself use something thats so old, has buttons that it does not have a OS that can be infected or watched so easy.

Voice encryption between the provider and me is what i want but the government has banned them for doing this because we are all terrorists, they are at war for our data.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: WhatAreThey

Man, your right.. there's even a Wikipedia article on it.

en.wikipedia.org...

It's messed up.

Many artisans, on the other hand, try to make products that last a lifetime. Quite a different philosophy from that.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Skaffa

Can you downgrade OS versions on a jailbroken phone?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join