It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Selfie of Curiousity poseing on the pink cliffs of Mars whom or what took the photo?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven

originally posted by: ecossiepossie
ok

i will admit thats a feasable way to do it haveing watched the Animation.

They would then have to remove all the shadows wich would be all over haveing been taken at differing times.

Choose the shadows they wanted to keep by matching the ones In formation with the surounding area .

Yes that would produce the image mystery solved.

Thank you.

Seems like a large waste of tax payer money to make a cool photo? Anyone that can do all that probably getting a phat check.

The image wasn't put together by NASA, but by Malin Space Science Systems.

Malin is the company who made three of the cameras on Curiosity -- the Mastcam, the Descent Imager, and the Hand Lens Imager (the latter camera was used to take the individual images used in the selfie).

I'm not sure if Malin charged NASA for their time in stitching the selfie together, but the individual images themselves are important because they give NASA a visual view of the health and condition of the rover. Also, I don't know if Malin had a Lump Sum contract with NASA or a Time and Materials contract with NASA, but if it was Lump Sum, then what Malin chooses to do on their own time should not worry the taxpayer.

Having said that, I think the selfie is a good idea for the program because it makes for a great public relations image, and helps raise/maintain public awareness of Curiosity's mission.

edit on 12/8/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

There were challenges galore, but none quite so great as getting the long arm of the rover out of the picture. A close look at the final image shows the "shoulder" of the robotic arm on the front of the rover. But the rest of the five-jointed appendage has been removed and replaced by pixels from other frames that showed the ground or the rover behind the arm.

From Semperfortis link

Nasa using it's photoshop skills, some conspiracy theorists should feel vindicated now, lol.

Well it was an approved NASA project, and not really in the realm of conspiracy anyway. The first panorama was already executed and is faulty, and all the perspectives in the world could not have made it right. Some people just don't get it.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I hate to criticize or come off as hateful to any thread in fact I love freedom of speech and firmly support and defend it daily. However I feel if it is not said then things will not change. With that being said I have to say I much prefer the way this site used to be with things only being presented that could not be dismissed at a glance as something easily explainable. I’ve heard one member of Above Top Secret refer to it as the dumbing down of this domain, meaning there are less intellectuals and more people of average intelligence that do not think things through. I personally would like to believe the later. However in reference to this image I feel it could easily be a camera attached to an arm of the rover.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join