It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$15 Min Wage Case Study Rant

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Source

Ok so this burger joint is paying employees $15 per hour. We all are seeing a push for a $15 min wage and on the surface it seems like it could make sense.

So curiously I checked the companies menu and for a cheeseburger, fries, and a drink it will cost $13.00.

So ok this is probably a damn good urger and fries but let's project that to McDonalds, Burger King, etc.

Obviously labor cost will get passed through to the consumer and the people that will be hurt most by this is the poor and middle income people and families.

My position is min wage only accounts for a few percent of those working so an increase to $15.00 per hour so that 100% of America can and will pay more makes no sense to me.

What am I missing?
edit on 5-12-2014 by sirlancelot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

When the minimum doubles, the people above will get a raise also. The people at the bottom will still be at the bottom.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

They were already expensive. They raised the price one dollar. It's not like they had a 99 cent menu before this.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

When the minimum doubles, the people above will get a raise also. The people at the bottom will still be at the bottom.

yup.
the hash slingers are still going to beat the bottom of the pay scale.
their little jump should put me at about $30 an hour.
everything will change with it.

my argument is still that fast food joints are meant to be part time, moonlighting, or interim jobs.

if youre an adult trying to raise your family on a mcnasty check, you took a wrong turn somewhere.

maybe with the hefty increase in pay, they will make sure they can get an order right and make sure all my # makes it into the bag...
ya think?

a few weeks ago my son texted me a pic. he went through mcnasty and ordered 2 chicken sammies, plain with nothing on it.
they gave him two wrapped chicken patties. no bun. nothing.
no BS
and now that person is going to make $15 an hour??

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

maybe with the hefty increase in pay, they will make sure they can get an order right and make sure all my # makes it into the bag...
ya think?

Bwaaahaa. Nope.

These jobs are not meant to be a career, they're just summer jobs for teenagers or for someone to earn a little extra around the holidays. Maybe if you own the McPuke or Booger King or whatever you may have a career, but other wise, you've made a major life error.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: sirlancelot
Source

Ok so this burger joint is paying employees $15 per hour. We all are seeing a push for a $15 min wage and on the surface it seems like it could make sense.

So curiously I checked the companies menu and for a cheeseburger, fries, and a drink it will cost $13.00.

So ok this is probably a damn good urger and fries but let's project that to McDonalds, Burger King, etc.

Obviously labor cost will get passed through to the consumer and the people that will be hurt most by this is the poor and middle income people and families.

My position is min wage only accounts for a few percent of those working so an increase to $15.00 per hour so that 100% of America can and will pay more makes no sense to me.

What am I missing?

That it is a hidden tax.

As with Obamacare as stated by that dipshot, it is a hidden "tax" on your money. But, oh, yes, it is on discretionary spending. Oddly enough, a term which applies to about everything you buy in order to lead a normal life.

edit on 5-12-2014 by Aliensun because: delete words

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

There is another option,if they pass the cost on too consumers then you don't go there. If that means you don't go to fast food places anymore,hey you'll be healthier and not losing money.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   

What are you MISSING?

1. There are more fast food employees than you think.

2. You are absolutely selfish in your take that because these people get paid more, it hurts you. Stop buying burgers if you feel so put out.

3. If America is more concerned about paying more for a burger rather than the hardships of the people making it, move to INDIA or CHINA.

4. Shame on your way of thinking because whatever sector you work in also has people wanting higher pay that will be passed to consumers. But Don't touch your junk food right?

Peace

edit on 5-12-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
So, just out of curiosity and because I love working though the numbers, how much is a large big Mac meal worth over there in the US, or a Whopper meal at Burger King (they call it Hungry Jacks over here)?

Because over here a Big Mac meal and a whopper meal will set you back about $9 to $10 (or $7.49 to $8.30 US) and a casual worker gets 20.50 (17.06 US) an hour or 18.70 (15.56 US) for a full-time worker.

So my question is, if fast food restaurants can still turn a good profit over here (unless of course there charging less than $3 for a large Big Mac meal in the US), who’s pocketing that extra earnings, when they only pay there employees $7.25 in the US?

Why should some fat cat CEO who probably doesn't even reside in that state and is just going to let the currency linger in his bank account get the extra earnings? Instead of giving the extra earnings to the employee, who’s then going to go and spend the currency straight away and help stimulate their local economy?

edit on 5-12-2014 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

That's actually not true, as I showed in the thread about this. Middle class wages will see very little increase in pay compared to the increase for those on the bottom. Buying power for the middle class will be drastically reduced.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
point is, these people should get a clue and go to school for an actual career--or be happy making minimum. Which shouldn't be $15. Oh, give them incentive not to better themselves? What a horrible idea. Incentive to remain poor--that's what the $15 minimum sounds like to me. i.e: a scam. Be happy that you have a job--but don't just be happy remaining in a minimum wage job for the duration of your life if you could have gotten somewhere better. I don't even think that managers at mcdos should make $15. For what? For standing there and drinking soda? For not giving a flying eff about customer service? Pay starbucks employees $15 an hour--at least they deserve it for all of the crap that they take from people--so long as they are following the training and making peoples' days and making drinks correctly. But no, mcdonalds employees deserve the bare minimum wage because they ONLY DO THE BARE MINIMUM AT THEIR JOB. That's the job. The minimum. Don't like it? Get a new job. Get two jobs. Go to school.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

You are missing the fact that it is not the employees fault that inflation is causing their paycheck to be worth less and less each day. You are missing the fact that the corporation does not HAVE to increase prices to offset the pay increase, the would do so by choice to protect their record setting profit and insane ceo salaries. You are missing the fact that in most major cities a minimum wage is not even close to a living wage.

Just because $15 an hour seems like a lot to someone who lives in a rural area with low cost of living, does not make it so. Most people are paying well over $1000/month just in rent, add in cost of utilities and food and you have a bill that can't be paid working 80 hours a week at the current minimum wage.

Minimum wage workers do not cause currency inflation, but they are the ones who suffer most from it. They are the victims of an economy that is only surviving by cannibalizing itself starting from the bottom up. It has already eaten through the lower class and is nearly finished devouring the middle class. If by some miracle it manages to get through the middle class and starts devouring the upper class without imploding, then and only then will we see any real change to the fundamental problems.

“No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.” - FDR

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

What are you MISSING?

1. There are more fast food employees than you think.

2. You are absolutely selfish in your take that because these people get paid more, it hurts you. Stop buying burgers if you feel so put out.

3. If America is more concerned about paying more for a burger rather than the hardships of the people making it, move to INDIA or CHINA.

4. Shame on your way of thinking because whatever sector you work in also has people wanting higher pay that will be passed to consumers. But Don't touch your junk food right?

Peace

Shame on you for expecting mostly entry level employees get a wage that most college grads get when they first get out of college.

When I was 17 I worked at McDonalds then guess what? I realized it sucked, went to college, got a real job, and now earn what I deserve because I took PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY and bettered myself.

The problem with people like you in AMerica is they expect everything to be handed to them with little to no effort or sacrifice and/or they make excuses about how everyone else is keeping them down!

People in any min wage job should do exactly what I did and EARN a higher income to improve their life.

I do think a reasonable increase in min wage is needed but more then doubling it with cause more un employment and higher cost for everything WE ALL BUY!

Peace back at ya!

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: xDeadcowx

You are missing the fact that it is not the employees fault that inflation is causing their paycheck to be worth less and less each day. You are missing the fact that the corporation does not HAVE to increase prices to offset the pay increase, the would do so by choice to protect their record setting profit and insane ceo salaries. You are missing the fact that in most major cities a minimum wage is not even close to a living wage.

Just because $15 an hour seems like a lot to someone who lives in a rural area with low cost of living, does not make it so. Most people are paying well over $1000/month just in rent, add in cost of utilities and food and you have a bill that can't be paid working 80 hours a week at the current minimum wage.

Minimum wage workers do not cause currency inflation, but they are the ones who suffer most from it. They are the victims of an economy that is only surviving by cannibalizing itself starting from the bottom up. It has already eaten through the lower class and is nearly finished devouring the middle class. If by some miracle it manages to get through the middle class and starts devouring the upper class without imploding, then and only then will we see any real change to the fundamental problems.

“No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.” - FDR

Less then 100,000 are paid min wage as off 2013 and most are young or retired and over 3/4 are part time. To pay them $15 per so ALL of America has to pay more for every product or service makes no sense. THose same people will also have to pay more so most of the increase in wage will be lost with higher cost!

How about they get and education or learn a trade and earn it!

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Companies like mcdonalds and walmart are the biggest companies in the USA.

They pay their employees nothing, work them to the bone, require open availability to get any hours and can fire you for anything. These workers are simply being abused.

The argument that these jobs are interim jobs or for kids is ignorant. You have NO idea what these people have had happen in their lives to lead them to these jobs. Saying they are lazy or losers is just disgusting. There is a real loss of any empathy in this country. Just because these workers, some that have more the one job or even two, should be cast aside, ignored and laughed at is frightening.

And let's not forget that these workers that are paid so little and can't even come close to the cost of living in most places forces them to use government assistance as these corporation have record profits.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: drock905
Companies like mcdonalds and walmart are the biggest companies in the USA.

They pay their employees nothing, work them to the bone, require open availability to get any hours and can fire you for anything. These workers are simply being abused.

The argument that these jobs are interim jobs or for kids is ignorant. You have NO idea what these people have had happen in their lives to lead them to these jobs. Saying they are lazy or losers is just disgusting. There is a real loss of any empathy in this country. Just because these workers, some that have more the one job or even two, should be cast aside, ignored and laughed at is frightening.

And let's not forget that these workers that are paid so little and can't even come close to the cost of living in most places forces them to use government assistance as these corporation have record profits.

Lets look at the a real world impact. The link below is the impact of $15 increase in min wage in Seattle.

www.thenewamerican.com...

Keep in mind higher wage for McDonalds for example will lead to less employees and more implementation of machines and technology to get the job done. Result: less jobs, less benefits for workers, higher cost for us all.

My position is they have to earn it!

edit on 5-12-2014 by sirlancelot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

a few weeks ago my son texted me a pic. he went through mcnasty and ordered 2 chicken sammies, plain with nothing on it.
they gave him two wrapped chicken patties. no bun. nothing.
no BS
and now that person is going to make $15 an hour??

Seems legit. You see, we don't reward hard work anymore, we reward poor choices, and demonstration of a lack of responsibility. Hard workers are obviously just greedy.

/sarcasm

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
You guys are being scammed big time by the wealthy elite.

The US has the world’s highest average gross ‘and’ median income and also the most millionaires & billionaires in the world, not only just outright but also by capita. Yet the minimum wage remains ridiculously low compared to other wealthy countries. It’s actually one of the main factors that’s stopping the US from being the hands down best country to be born in the entire world!

I’m no communist, I do agree with capitalism to a certain extent. But you guys have to start making those spoilt little millionaires & billionaires start paying up and force them to spread the wealth a little.

edit on 5-12-2014 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

And what happens if they can't "earn"it? Not everyone is able to go school especially when they are so beat from working jobs with zero advancment and a 7.25 wage. At least In the past if you were a dedicated and hard worker you could climb up to at least a livable wage.

Maybe we should just grind up the poor and use them as fertilizer?
edit on 5-12-2014 by drock905 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

That's cute, really. For the sake of argument, let's say we do this $15/hr minimum wage. What is going to stop those same spoiled, wealthy millionaires, and billionaires, from passing the lost profits on to the consumers? You DO realize that that is what will happen, right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join