It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this illegal? Blue Cross/Shield coercing folks to sign up?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
My wife came home yesterday in tears. Then she got drunk.

My wife isn't a drinker.

Here is what happened. My wife went to a mandatory orientation for her work - it was blue cross/shield soliciting for their type of health insurance. Previously my wife was told she had till the end of the month to make up her mind but she went ahead and singed up with Blue Cross because she said she felt pressured and coerced.

Her place of business is under new ownership. The new owners are republicans. My wife's boss (not the owners) is a democrat who is telling the employees to be careful which insurance they get because the republicans will try to overturn Obamacare - so she is discouraging state/government health insurance - which isn't a problem for me but the coercion is.

My wife was told at the meeting she had till the end of the presentation (not the end of the month like she was previously told) to either sign up with Blue Cross or sign a waiver.

My wife was going to call The Daughters of Charity, (suggested by her boss just last week) a local outfit who helps those who have little money, to obtain cheaper insurance. She didn't get to do that yet and feels she was pressured into signing up for Blue cross.

I have never been to such a presentation, I don't know first hand what happened there but between her boss's comments to the employees and blue cross pressuring her, it seems somehow there is something not quite legal about this whole mess.

Your thoughts? - Thanks..
edit on 5-12-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It was my understanding that under Obamacare all businesses would have to provide health insurance to their employees - but maybe this was just another lie. I don't think anyone knows what's going to happen once it's enforced in full. Obama keeps pushing back the deadline and making excuses.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnPhoenix

How does your wife know the political orientation of the new owners? And why does her "boss" have anything to say about politics in the office. I'd be more upset about that and the "coercion" sounds like it was coming from her boss and not the owners.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Yah, the political reference is a little disturbing. Sounds like a high pressure sale that will benefit the employer.
I don't think it's illegal, but it most certainly unprofessional. They also like to herd up all the cattle and process everyone at once vs. spread out paperwork.

My woman just dealt with the same thing. I would read the deck pages and see what the details are. Such as copay, deductibles and dr.s in network etc... before signing anything. Their pressured offer was a joke, it was dirt cheap, but copays and deduct were so high, she would never be able to use it.( as planned by ins co.)
She told them it was worthless and they renegotiated coverages right there.

Gotta watch the scammy insurance companies, they do the math in their favor alright.
I'm rocking a decent private policy with them right now though.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22

How does your wife know the political orientation of the new owners? And why does her "boss" have anything to say about politics in the office. I'd be more upset about that and the "coercion" sounds like it was coming from her boss and not the owners.

My wife's boss mentioned her political orientation and that of the owners. I agree the work place is no place for that talk. I'm sure she was just trying to be helpful because all employees need insurance.

In fact as a good democrat who cares about all legal citizens in this country, I agree with her boss - Obamacare should be overturned - yet these discussions are not for the workplace or to be forced by employers.

If this talk or steering of the employees into a partisan slant both by the Boss and Blue Cross is illegal, I need to know so we can choose the next course of action.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

In my state, anyway, an employer is required to offer more than one health plan to employees, and one has to be an HMO. It doesn't matter which one you choose, though the employee contribution may be more for the higher-priced plans, i.e.: An employer can say, "We'll pay $X per month for every employee. If you want a higher prices plan, you pay the difference." which is perfectly legal.

I had thought this was country-wide, not state-wide, and if so, there may be a communications gap here somewhere. The fact that there are republicans or democrats involved with the company should have no bearing on this and I doubt seriously one party is pushing Blue Cross over something else.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I wish she knew she could have re-negotiated. She says there is no co-pay, it's based on a percentage depending on how much she makes and the deductible is a whopping - 3,300 dollars.

We may have an "out".

I call her my wife because we have been together over 10 years but we aren't married yet - planning to get married on the 18 th of this month. They told her she cannot drop the coverage except in certain circumstances, and getting newly married is one of them. We'll see if we can drop Blue Cross if we can get cheaper and or better insurance elsewhere.

It's kinda strange for me.. I don't know how being married will effect my status. I do not work, I am retired, I no longer file taxes. The only way I will ever sign up for mandatory health care is if someone grabs my dead hand and forges my name because it Will be over my dead body.
edit on 5-12-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Your wife's boss is an idiot..
The insurance reps are the ones pressuring her, not the new owners.
Those reps are most likely insurance brokers and only sell blue cross. They get paid on commission.

top topics

join