It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was "DNA" a seed sowed in chaos?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: SystemResistor

DNA/Life as a seed in Chaos?

I think this interesting video may relate:

Life is structure. Can't have life without order, right? Even cells, muscles, and organs are a type of "structure".

Keep in mind, there is a difference between "control" (aggression/tyranny) and "structure" (patterns).

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Computers are ''now''. IMO likening computers as an analogy to reality is like 100 years ago likening reality to a steam engine.

A steam engine could not emulate a life, recognises people or do anything like a computer can do so I cannot agree with you here.

You said that we build computers to think like our brain and that's why they are the way the are but I think they are better than that and are fast reaching the stage where they will make decisions better than we can and are a bit like an evolutionary step like going from RNA to more advanced DNA.

Given time then maybe we could give a computer emotions or maybe we will loose most of ours and merge with the machines so we can live longer, be stronger, communicate easier but as individuals we won't become the all seeing, all hearing like a system of computers can on the super internet.

Today they say that if a EMP went off and killed all the electronics than half of us will die (bunk if you ask me) but given Moors law where computers double in power every year then it's only becomes a matter of a short time before we humans take a step down and let machine take over like they do now with stock trading.

Think why do we use computers when not playing games !

We are building something better than us with eyes all over the place, infinite intelligence and a fibber optic nerve system all over the plant and already it controls nearly every aspect of our lives from credit payments to traffic lights and we have barely even started.

in a way what we are building is like an embryo that's starts off growing really slow but then speeds up as cells divide because computers have allowed us to speed up development so we make faster and faster advances but the thing that programs computers best (unless you write raw machine code) is another computer.

Skynet comes to mind but in the end it won't be man controlling the machine, it will control us and will write us out of the loop when needed just like prehistoric fossils from a past age.

Now let me take you back to the question

why do we use computers

if we are inside some type of PC then we have a purpose and I don't think it's for playing games, sim city and just for some control freak to rule our lives and started to think we are a type of avatar used to train infants beings that are not of this universe with a virtual body to keep them captive like a babies cot.

Some people will find that easy to agree with because it feels good, it has possibilities like super powers when you die, heaven but logic says to me this might not be true because if we use computers to build something better than we are then what's to say our purpose was not just part of a machine being used to build 'G' all along or simple to help him/them to improve themselves and to evolve.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: VirusGuard

It was a comparative analogy in the sense of humans relating reality relative to their contemporary science.

''Computers'' in the contemporary sense are machines, they are not self replicating nor are they organic, they aren't possessing of natural intelligence, they are the sum of their parts and only contain programmed 'intelligence' when assembled and programmed. They are not autonomous.

A steam engine could not emulate a life, recognises people or do anything like a computer can do so I cannot agree with you here.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

''Computers'' in the contemporary sense are machines"

We are not machines. not sure of your point

"they are not self replicating nor are they organic"

Component parts in phones are becoming so small that humans cannot assemble the parts and no they are not organic but welding soon fixes damage, parts are easy to replace so not being organic has its advantages like being sent into space.

"they aren't possessing of natural intelligence"

Not sure what you mean but they do come with a bios chip and can correct human mistakes when setting options.

"they are the sum of their parts and only contain programmed 'intelligence' "

if programmed intelligence is better at resolving problems than we are then I see no problem and do remember that even today a programmer cannot program without being ten steps removed from the bits sent to the CPU and computers will become better programmers than we are.

"when assembled and programmed. They are not autonomous."

I forget where it is but apparently some type of primitive robo-cop has already been deployed in a city and if it can be programmed to plug itself into a power socket then I say that already it could be considered "autonomous"

it's a bit like computers having a chat and saying humans are not much use because they have legs and not wheels and need food instead of electric with blood instead of oil but from both a physical aspect and pure thinking capacity these computers will soon have us beat.

As our needs for computers grows whilst their needs for us will demise and do note that the Turing test was past not long ago and grand chest masters have also be beaten.

We can debate all night what constitutes intelligence because the goal posts keep getting moved all the time so us humans can put ourselves ahead of the machine but nothing says that life has to be skin and bones (virtual as it maybe) or you need to feel joy to qualify as life.

Bump up the voltage from 3.5v to 3.7v for a CPU might make it feel happy and increasing the frequency might be like getting a caffeine fix in the morning but if that sounds silly then consider the chemical cocktail your brain sends out to make you feel happy or how electrical signals control your nerve system.

Sorry but I don't see anything that will stop the track we are on or any disadvantage a computer will have over our thinking powers or our abilities to remember something when data can be saved to disk, kept for 500 years and then shared between 2000 nodes all at the flick of a button.

if I am right then we are creating something almost 'G' like even if we don't like to admit it and that might have been our purpose all along, just a small cog in evolution to move on to the next step.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
Computers made by humans are programmed by humans to compute ...

Not necessarily : some are programmed to evolve ... wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_computing
edit on 5-12-2014 by Frank12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Frank12345

But they are still programmed.

They are constructed and programmed and require generated power.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Or is it just labelled as junk because we don't understand yet its purpose ?
It's therefore dangerous to consider it as junk ...

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Addition:

The DNA that was introduced into chaos could be considered as DNA that had all it's "settings" on "default" - and only when it did come into contact with a sentience did various keys "activate" in response to the nature of the being that it had bound to, giving these beings forms unique to the nature of their own sentience. So, you can imagine that there are various "chaos" sentience, and when they come into contact with DNA and when DNA binds on to them, DNA "locks" itself according to what parts of DNA were affected by sentient actions. Thus DNA is configured when it comes into contact with sentience, and gives these sentience new forms.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

But they are still programmed.

But evolutionary programming can solve problems which the program's creators could not solve, that is their purpose , ( and incidentally they demonstrate the process of evolution ).

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

They are still not autonomous, they are CREATED and PROGRAMMED.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

They are still not autonomous, they are CREATED and PROGRAMMED.

The increasingly optimal solutions produced by an evolutionary program are created without any programming intelligence , just random trial an error.

The code just reproduces randomly mutated versions of itself, selectively breeding from the mutants which produce more optimal results , then repeating until no more improvement , ( which could take millions of generations ).

Once a self-replicating processes come into being, where the replication is occasionally inaccurate, then evolution is inevitable, and the self-replicating process becomes increasingly complex over time. After billions of years of evolution that complexity is high enough to give the false-impression there is an intelligent designer ... wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker_analogy .

However in reality no intelligent creator [programmer] is required ... evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/IIE2bDetailsoforigin.shtml , just a self-replicating process which isn't 100% faithful.
edit on DecemberSat, 06 Dec 2014 23:47:13 -0600pm12k12345 by Frank12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Another poster asked some specific questions about computers, go back and read it properly.

Computers are constructed and programmed, there is no argument of that as it is fact.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join