It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It’s official: America is now No. 2

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Hang on to your hats, America.

And throw away that big, fat styrofoam finger while you’re about it.

There’s no easy way to say this, so I’ll just say it: We’re no longer No. 1. Today, we’re No. 2. Yes, it’s official. The Chinese economy just overtook the United States economy to become the largest in the world. For the first time since Ulysses S. Grant was president, America is not the leading economic power on the planet.

It just happened — and almost nobody noticed.

The International Monetary Fund recently released the latest numbers for the world economy...

It’s official: America is now No. 2

Surprised I didn't see anything posted about this yet.

It's been a long time coming but apparently the day has finally "officially" arrived with little to no media fan fare in America.

Forgive me if this has already been posted.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I don't think it was posted either and I'm surprised honestly. This came out yesterday and didn't seem to receive much exposure. I guess all those years of gloating over cheap goods finally came back to bite us. Outsourcing labor to enjoy overpriced, cheaply made junk and it looks like TPTB are now focusing on China, while America declines further. S + F

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc

So much for the prediction that China was to be the leading economy by 2020. I guess they arrived early.

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Standby for 3rd, India is not far behind China and will soon overtake the USA for second place.

Trickle Down Economic Standings?

Was the Free Market good to America? - Thank Reagan.

E.T.A. Open Borders = More Slave Labor.

Take a Stand America, before it's too late.

edit on 5-12-2014 by James1970 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Sadly...

*I don't know why...? (sarcasm) but I see much teeth gnashing and angry untolerant posts going to happen very shortly...

*shrugs shoulders and makes an unsurprised face with bottom lip sticking out*

This was to be expected though...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

*Awww nuts, now I have this song in my head for the whole day :

edit on 5/12/14 by Rodinus because: Vid added

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

So much for the prediction that China was to be the leading economy by 2020. I guess they arrived early.

Or we are falling faster than we have been led to believe.

Good thing is, China has absorbed much of our business and manufacturing, so life goes on... In China.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   

It's Official: America is now No.2...

It's because all of the politicians are full of crap....

No? Nothing?

I'm not surprised in the least. It's hard for folks to still believe in and strive for that good old American exceptionalism when they are being continually beaten down by their leaders, the economy, and life in general. Unfortunately I feel like this is a trend that will keep steadily moving down the rungs of the ladder.

It's a travesty really.
edit on 12/5/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc Perhaps not posted out of shame ? after all, this an American bias website ?

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc Double post, Itchy Nigga Trigger Finger.......

edit on 5/12/2014 by scubagravy because: cause tomato is a fruit

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
No, no, no

It's ridiculous to assume the USA would stay in the number one economic position when the nations your talking about have 1.3 Billion workers each, to stay number one Americans would need to work as hard as five Chinese people each as they modernize...

In fact our obsession with no 1 makes life suck, over worked, under paid...

Maybe now that it's over we can get rid of the insanity and start being willing to be top 5 with a decent quality of life rather than no 1 with no vacation time lousy health care and crappy schools

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit

Not only that but Earth is very old and will most likely continue for billions of years. So it is wrong to think it would always remain at the top of the game. Thousands of years from now it will either be remembered for various reasons or totally forgotten.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I'm not seeing the issue here. The size of the economy doesn't really matter, it's more about the income of the individual and how much each person can spend. China is still a nation of low incomes, and by that metric the US has been far behind many countries for a long time... neither of us are actually #1.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: coldkidc

Surprised I didn't see anything posted about this yet.

Maybe because the news is from October:

China Overtook The US As The World's Largest Economy

Mike Bird Oct 9, 2014, 5:08 AM

Sorry, America. China just overtook the US to become the world’s largest economy, according to the International Monetary Fund.

So the IMF measures both GDP in market exchange terms, and in terms of purchasing power. On the purchasing power basis, China is overtaking the US right about now and becoming the world’s biggest economy.

We’ve just gone past that cross-over on the chart below, according to the IMF. By the end of 2014, China will make up 16.48% of the world’s purchasing-power adjusted GDP (or $US17.632 trillion), and the US will make up just 16.28% (or $US17.416 trillion).

It’s not all sore news for the US. It will be some time yet until the lines cross over in raw terms, not adjusted for purchasing power. By that measure, China still sits more than $US6.5 trillion lower than the US and isn’t likely to overtake for quite some time.

www.businessinsider.com.au...

Honestly, this isn't a surprise. Such events have long been predicted.

It's fair to say that China is now well on its way to becoming a superpower, yeah? I wonder how the USA will try to combat this in the future. They're already pivoting to the Pacific...

edit on 5-12-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: criticalhit
No, no, no

It's ridiculous to assume the USA would stay in the number one economic position when the nations your talking about have 1.3 Billion workers

It's not about how many workers you have that should decide how wealthy a nation is, it should be decided on the quality and quantity of your products. America once produced the most - and the best.

China produces cheap and toxic crap that breaks in a couple of days.

America's leaders sold the nation out. So Sad

edit on 5-12-2014 by James1970 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Among many of the things I have noticed over my life is that many countries regarded the US as a bully. As well as many also thought Russia was as well. China has always been on the sidelines.

Now however, many in the region are considering China the bully.

The circle isn't complete but it's continuing. Powerful nations only last for so long as history shows.

I wonder what China will do when India overtakes them?
edit on 5-12-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Just to put things into perspective Mexico is the 14th largest economy in the world, so this is not really anything to be concerned about.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Not really.

Well, not quite. Or at least not yet. As some pundits have pointed out, the IMF isn’t using the conventional measure of the value of goods and services the China produces, otherwise known as gross domestic product, or GDP. By that measure, the good ol’ U.S.A. still makes way more dollars worth of stuff than China does — though that lead is deteriorating.

Instead, the IMF is referring to GDP adjusted for something called purchasing power parity (PPP). This takes into account how much people in a given country can actually buy. And if you’ve ever visited a developing country, you know that one dollar can buy quite a lot more of certain goods and services, like bread and milk or a meal at a restaurant, than it could in the West. PPP is an attempt to take that difference into account.

Link

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
No controversy or signs of upheaval?

lets pretend there are and rage against it so as to seem "Aware" or ahead of the curve.

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Okay people knock off being so melodramic we are still #1 in certain growth industries..like
Prison industries.
Arms manufacturing.
Military bases around the world.
#1 in gun ownership.
I know we are not number one in obesity
but I know we can beat the pants off those darn
Brits and Mexicans if we only try harder.
below is a more extensive list of #1s

We are El numero uno

We are not El numero uno

edit on 5-12-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   

What I have been saying for a long time. Want to live a middle class life the way your parents used to? You have to move to China. America no longer offers that option.
edit on 5-12-2014 by Commonlaw because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join