It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it really that rainy in Seattle? The honest answers to odd and obscure questions thread.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: 74Templar
Being from Seattle and the area, having lived in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Texas and having been to most of the states I've seen plenty of different climates and different altitudes... sure, Seattle gets plenty of rain, as does Portland. Corvallis OR, for example as a still fairly close to the shore area, gets less as the coastal range soaks up some of it. NEW ORLEANS gets more rain than Seattle though, according to a recent report I read. It's the constant drizzle that gets people in the Seattle area. Lotsa gray days. Weather usually comes in from the Gulf of Alaska and Seattle gets it in a big way much of the time.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: 74Templar
Is it true that full strength beer in the USA is only 2.5% maximum? And light beer is even less?

No. Absolutely not!

The beers I usually drink are between 5-8%.
edit on 12-5-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling Think fresh corn flavor, with your favorite gravy poured over the corn. That can approximate the taste of grits and gravy.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: 74Templar

I live right in the heart of downtown Seattle...and yes it does rain a lot at certain times...but not as much as in years past. I love this city...and living where there is all the hustle and bustle of people living their various lives...I so enjoy it! We have beautiful summers here...when it does not rain much at all. We have all 4 distinct seasons in Seattle; which I like too.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Great thread with lots of humor.....nice to see some fun here for sure.
I do have a question and that is does the Southern United States rule in the BBQ ribs and chicken, just drooling typing this and no I have never been down South for BBQ.

I am thinking about it for my bucket list though:-)
I don't know anything about it but just from what I have read It's St Louis at the top?

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SweetKarma
Wow that's 10 months of rain?!

Does it ever get depressing with the lack of sun?

---

Also is Vancouver the same? Had an interest in moving to Vancouver..

edit on 5-12-2014 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
a reply to: SweetKarma
Wow that's 10 months of rain?!

Does it ever get depressing with the lack of sun?

---

Also is Vancouver the same? Had an interest in moving to Vancouver..

Vancouver Island (Canada), Vancouver BC (Canada), or Vancouver (U.S.)?

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine
Vancouver BC

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
a reply to: Tangerine
Vancouver BC

There are many microclimates in the Pacific Northwest so you would probably need to do some research to find out if Vancouver BC receives as much rain as Seattle. I think it's safe to say that the climate is similar. However, there are pockets that receive considerably less rain than others. I realize that this isn't a very good answer.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Here's some information about Vancouver BC's climate: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Is it true that full strength beer in the USA is only 2.5% maximum? And light beer is even less?

I think in Utah, the Mormon stronghold of the US, there were some strict laws about the alcohol content of beer that could be sold, although I think it was a little higher around 3.5 or something and has since been removed.

But for the rest of the country, a 5% is pretty much standard with few beers being lower in alcohol but many beers being much, much higher. This last Saturday I enjoyed some Deschuttes Abyss made here in Oregon which this year was 11% as well as some Lagunitas Brown Shugga made in California which is 9.9% Most craft brews are usually higher in alcohol compared to the mass-market stuff like coors and budweiser but even that stuff is still around 5% usually.

As for Oregon beaches being discussed earlier, they are definitely worth checking out. Very peaceful and serene for the most part, although windy and cold. Since I was born I've been to the coast at least once a year, usually more if I can manage, it's almost like a spiritual retreat in some ways. Everything moves a lot slower compared to Portland and it's overall a good place to relax.

I had a Californian friend who was very disappointed in our beaches, to him "the beach" was all about sun, partying and crowds of half-naked people which is not what the Oregon coast is. As long as you like the idea of calm and relaxation you should like them

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Ummm...a trifle true about the grits..............but...GRAVY...?

I'll have to invite you and yours over for some fine dining...because gravy can be as varied as persons concocting said...

Your probably thinking...............roux...which is admittedly gelatinous coronary in a pan...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Here are some questions I wonder about.

In hurricane prone areas of North America, don't brick and concrete houses have more advantages over those built with wood beside the cost element? I imagine that home owners would go for a brick house if they can afford it given how wooden houses get swept away. But every time a hurricane comes around, we see entire neighborhoods swept away. Or is the media not showing those areas that survived?

Is it possible to invest or own American real estate without being a citizen or setting foot in America? I saw an ad in the papers advertising investment opportunities in property that was intended for high class American citizens and celebrities. I forgot their website.

Was the wild west really that wild? Was it even wild or a creation of Hollywood?

Do western male teens still sag their pants?

Are females in Guatemala able to walk around alone in urban neighbourhoods?

Are there any safe areas in Mexico? Where you can live an ordinary carefree lifestyle.

Do citizens of the Vatican pay normal taxes like we do?

What effect does ocean water have on soil that it has to be desalinated first for it to be used for irrigation?

Are there any real members of anonymous on this board? With the ever growing surveillance community, how come you're still able to do what you do?

Is there any law that prevents North American and European citizens from installing dash-cams?
I think it would help us out with so many of those grey area threads. But I saw one viral video of an American family sing-along on the way to school recorded on dash-cam but it seems to be rare.

Was anyone ever tried or convicted for the 2001 Anthrax attacks?

Is it true that the Jews don't believe in Jesus and are still waiting for the messiah?

I hear that the Jews don't trust Christians, what did they do to the Jews?

Has anyone ever taken a picture of the so-called Men In Black?

Are there any pictures of the Siberian domes?

There are those places with very long names with as many as 85 letters. Do people there say the entire name as they go about everyday life? Like;
Hey! Where have you been?
Oh, I'm just from Taumata­whakatangihanga­koauau­o­tamatea­turi­pukakapiki­maunga­horo­nuku­pokai­whenua­kitanatahu.
Don't they use a shorter human friendly version? I wonder what their application forms look like. Do they have rap music?

A work mate of mine went to China on a training program and told us how people there responded like they'd never seen an African before. She says she was like a tourist attraction. They'd stop and stare, take pictures, some thought she does not bathe and that was why she looked that way. Are there places in china that got so isolated and unexposed that the people never heard of or saw Africans? And are they still like that? I wonder what their version of MSM is like, I'd imagine they'd at least see some on TV or the internet.

I've seen many jokes about Americans and how they have no clue about the rest of the world in general especially geographically. How real is this? How far does it go?

They say concept cars are not crushed but usually go into the manufacturers museum after the show. Have you ever seen one of these museums? Don't they get full?

Do all branches of the Islamic faith believe in the Al Mahdi and the Dajjal? The ones I've asked here have never heard of them. At least that's what they told me.

Do Native Americans like the reserves? What about the tribes that don't have reserves?

You know those pictures of guys riding a super bike with a bikini lady on the back from countries like Brazil, Jamaica and America? How acceptable is it to go on a typical street like that on an ordinary day? The ones I've seen were in some kind of festival like black bikers week, madi gras. Here you'd get arrested for being idle and disorderly even in a festival. But times are changing as I've seen girls under 10 years wearing hot pants (shorts that leave the thighs completely exposed) on the streets in the company of their parents. So in a few generations we may have bikini riders too.

Do Canada, Australia and New Zealand have some kind of allegiance to the Queen of England?

We had threads here abut mysterious sounds heard around the world. Was any of these cases resolved? (We've never had them here).

There are American laws that allow things like the Keystone Pipeline and the Fracking controversy to override private land owners rights. Has anyone every challenged such actions and won?

I read that you can't actually walk up to the Stonehenge. If you were among those that have, does it have any energy you can feel.

What about crop circles, have you visited a fresh one? Did you feel energy there too? What was it like?

How easy is it for other Americans to understand Southern American accents like you find in Texas? Are there any difficulties understanding each other?

I've heard it said that healthy food in America is more expensive than unhealthy food which is why you'll find poor people who are fat. But while trying to find the reason for this on Google, I also came across an opposite view. So what's you're experience. Why do you think it's so.

How come the British authorities let the million mask march get that close to Buckingham palace?
People were even throwing firecrackers at the building

Does Germany have obvious problems of racism?

During the days of the Berlin wall, to whom did the jurisdiction of West Berlin belong to? Or was it autonomous? Were the people of West Berlin able to leave and return as they pleased? How was the POTUS able to visit if it was surrounded by the Soviets?

Those are the ones I can remember for now.

edit on 9-12-2014 by Divinefavor because: clarity

edit on 9-12-2014 by Divinefavor because: clarity

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The only thing that's ever really made me wonder a lot is:

Is 4:00 tea really as set-in-stone commonplace in the UK as joked about on the US side of the pond?

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Mine aren't really about states/locations, but it's worth a shot at any rate.

Why do they call apartments when they are stuck together?

Why do we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?

What was the best thing before sliced bread?

If one goose is goose and two "goose" are geese, why aren't 2 moose.... meese?

^^ Mr Nyiah, is that you, dear? How eerily odd, Kang, my husband jokingly asked those same questions last night, in that order.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Divinefavor
In hurricane prone areas of North America, don't brick and concrete houses have more advantages over those built with wood beside the cost element? I imagine that home owners would go for a brick house if they can afford it given how wooden houses get swept away. But every time a hurricane comes around, we see entire neighborhoods swept away. Or is the media not showing those areas that survived?

This Reddit poster explains the answer much better than I can. Drawback: it's wordy.
www.reddit.com...

Basically in summary, it wouldn't fare any better, it's all about how the structure is reinforced. Building an actual structurally sound home out of brick would be even more expensive, and it's why so few new homes are built with brick & only brick today.

What should be a more pressing question is why aren't homes in wind damage prone areas built more aerodynamically?

edit on 12/9/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Why is there even such a thing as a toilet paper commercial??? WHO in hades is NOT buying it?

< jumps up and down waving hand> Oooh! Oooh! I know this one, pick me, pick me!

Hippies. Hardcore ones. Have you ever heard of something called "family cloth"? It's what the hardcore granola crowd makes their households use, basically rags to wipe with. And yes, I know people who do this. No, I've never had the misfortune of using their toilet rags, and I'll do as much as I can to avoid it.

As to the commercials, it's all about product competition. I product test TP a few times a year (they send it to me) and their aim is to have buttwipe that's preferred over other companies' based on strength, softness, and absorbancy. When they think they've nailed it, we have to put up with new commercials touting as much by way of cartoon bears or angel babies < rolls eyes > Yeah, I don't see why commercials are necessary either, everyone has their own TP preferences that they've settled on via trial & error anyway.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

So with such an international cast here at ATS, there is most likely someone who lives in almost every corner of the planet.

Ever wondered if it is really as rainy in Seattle as all the movies and media portray?

no if you look at the total rainfall it rains more in new york city than seattle

Seattle is 36.2 inches (92 cm)
New York City is 40.3 inches (102 cm)

what we do have is more overcast days, which makes people believe that we have more rain. but i prefer it if people continue to say it does and believe it does, that way the DO NOT MOVE HERE

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Divinefavor

Yes, the wild west was really that wild. It was a very short period in history, by the way. It was the frontier and largely lawless.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I can assure you that I am not Mr. Nyiah.
Odd though for sure!

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Divinefavor

One of the longest place names in the world. Made up to attract tourists: Llanfair­pwllgwyn­gyllgo­gery­chwyrn­drobwll­llanty­silio­gogo­goch. The villagers call it Llanfairpwll. Even shorter is Llanfair.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join