It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it really that rainy in Seattle? The honest answers to odd and obscure questions thread.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: kevinp2300

That's pretty accurate. Lots of forest trails or high cliffs. There are some caves too, that people pay to go into for some stupid reason. I guess smelling and watching sea lions do their thing is exciting for some. Some well known places here include Haystack Rock (zoom in, look for guy at the base to get an idea of size), the Florence Dunes (inspired Frank Herbert's Arrakis) and the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Have you ever seen The Goonies? Yeah that's all Oregon!
edit on 12-5-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: typo

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Personally i don't like it it that much . To quote Crocodile Dundee , it tastes like s##t but you can live on it . Lol

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: kevinp2300
a reply to: Cuervo

which town has a better music scene portland or seattle? are parties filled with ppl playing music in seattle or is that a grunge myth?

By the time I moved away from there, the scene was dying out a bit. I had my own band renting out a space at the Jam Box and that was filled with all sorts of great bands, some of relatively famous. But it's not like it was.

Now Portland's scene is actually pretty booming, music wise. There is a definite distinct sound climate here much like Seattle had. Floater is a good example of a valley area band that represents some of what I'm talking about. But it's much more eclectic than that.

Even Bend is starting to show some strong undercurrents of a thriving music incubator.

edit on 5-12-2014 by Cuervo because: added video

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Anything and everything. All I know about Oregon is logging and bigfoot lol.

Oh and the Goonies and Kindergarten Cop were both set there.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Now that's the kind of burning obscure questions we need here.

OK, so I'll go with one that seems to be around the boards quite a bit about my home country of Australia.

Kangaroos are not on every street corner, in every town. In fact, I live almost 30 kms from the nearest centre, a small town of about 4500 people. I usually see half a dozen kangaroos, or just Roos as we call them here, hanging out in scrubby paddocks on my drive in. I did see one hop through the local shopping mall, but that was like a once in a lifetime kind of thing to see, even here.

And, contrary to popular belief, everything here is not out to kill you every time you step outside your door. Yes, we do have a lot of dangerous stuff here, snakes, spiders, crocs. I have never seen a croc outside of a park, and most snakes and spiders usually run for cover when you cross them.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Actually Queenslander say "Aih" at the end of almost every sentence I have noticed. I think it's meant to be like hey, but that's the way it comes out.

Like; "Not a bad day for it Aih?"

OK, so are Canadians as polite as everyone says? Or is that just an urban myth too?

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Wow, didn't know the goonies was filmed in Oregon. That rock looks awesome, is it climbable with all the moss on it? The reason I ask is that I went to college in California and made it a mission of mine to explore and find "secret" beaches up and down the coast(I am sure in Oregon there are many since there aren't 65 million ppl like in California). I noticed that some of my favorite beaches were along the northern coast of California the closer I got to Oregon. I always wanted to explore the Oregon coastline but never got around to it. I did however attend a football game in Eugene and was impressed with the town and hospitality of the people there(I was a cal berkeley fan and ended up meeting random Oregonians and having a few beers with them). Are a lot of the towns in Oregon rustic like Eugene? I grew up in Indiana and those types of towns fit me well. I love the rain, beaches and forest so maybe I should move to Oregon one day.
edit on 5-12-2014 by kevinp2300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: kevinp2300
a reply to: hutch622

is kangaroo meat on par with beef as described in a recent article i read? i would assume it is more gamey(tough) like a deer.

Kangaroo meat on it's own is very bland and tough. Beef by comparison (to me) tastes sweeter. If you've ever had Angus beef, it is close to that for taste.

Usually most roo steaks are marinated, and they have a sausage here called the 'kanga banga,' which isn't too bad for taste.

Kangaroo meat is very healthy compared to beef for fat content though.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: 74Templar

Kang meant Canadians lol.

The Canadians I know/have known seemed alright. There's polite and impolite in every country.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   

You forgot to tell about the DROP BEARS .

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

As much as I'd love to keep that one going (I have had US visitors looking in trees for them)....

No such thing. Just an urban legend...

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

I am a bass player myself, def enjoyed that song, very dynamic w a good amount of bass...liked how the music followed his night. Found a song by them called weightless which was good as well. Were you ever on the Mother Love Bone bandwagon in Seattle? I always assumed Portland had more of an earthy, acoustic/americana vibe to it but its good to hear some new age rock.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Personally i don't like it it that much . To quote Crocodile Dundee , it tastes like s##t but you can live on it . Lol

hmm thats 2 down votes for kangaroo meat...how about them koalas lol?
I have also heard you guys do not censor body parts on tv and does the water REALLY flush the opposite way
?

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Nah don't eat koalas. Just about everything else though.

I've never seen full frontal on TV before, but I haven't turned it on in years, so today might be different.

The toilet thing? It just kind of looks like a great gurgle of water and doesn't go in either direction. Even the sink just goes in whatever direction the water wants.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Living near the border as I do, I have found the Canadians very polite, but when driving always seem to want to hang on your back bumper. I can't say that is true for all, just the hundreds that come down to shop at the local WalMarts on the weekends. As I always state, this is MY opinion, my observations. YMMV

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   

does the water REALLY flush the opposite way?

No, yours does. And your moon is upside down too.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
haha the toilet flushing ? was more of an obscure joke. this next ? i have comes straight from the heart and is for any member outside the US. ARE THERE TACO BELLS?

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

We have had full frontal nudity on television here since the 70s ,Number 96 (the first full frontal nudity ) was a ground breaker ,it openly had a gay couple in the cast as well as inter racial sex scenes .Yes the water does go down the opposite to the northern hemisphere . Not even Australians would eat Koalas . We draw the line there .

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Not in Australia that I know of.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   

I have also heard you guys do not censor body parts on tv and does the water REALLY flush the opposite way
?

Come to France mate...

No body parts are censored on TV... OR on certain beaches down in the Cap d'Agde... *coughs*... Or secluded parking lots come to mention...

I remember 25 years ago when I first came to live here and was on holiday down in the South... my eyes nearly popped out of my head and my GF at the time had to carry my chin to stop it from scraping across the sand...

And yes... we eat snails over here... for more gory details you can have a quick gander here :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And I can also vouch that French Canadians say "Heh"

Kindest respects

Rodinus

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join