It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet The 17-Year-Old Who Blew The Lid Off Racial Profiling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This video is a must see for everyone. If you don't understand the growing mistrust within minority communities regarding law enforcement, simply watch the video.

Racially profiling is a tactic allegedly used by police that utilize it during stop and frisk encounters. This policy has drawn much criticism by the aclu and community rights activists that said such practices are harming community trust and targeting minority groups.

This practice has been used in at least 1800 stops per day, and since 2002, millions have been stopped and frisked, although some 80 percent were innocent and half were African American then Latino.

Although stop and frisk has been reformed in NYC, and stops have declined significantly in 2014, it brings to light how the tensions between the community and LEO have grown into distrust.

The following video is of a young man who recorded such an event. It also interviews veteran police officers who give an inside account of the practice in their department.

The NYPD’s stop-and-frisk practices raise serious concerns over racial profiling, illegal stops and privacy rights. The Department’s own reports on its stop-and-frisk activity confirm what many people in communities of color across the city have long known: The police are stopping hundreds of thousands of law abiding New Yorkers every year, and the vast majority are black and Latino.

Video

Stop and frisk data

edit on 4-12-2014 by Daedal because: edit

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I don't live in NY but I get frisked every time I'm stopped, even if it's for not turning a blinker on.. Usually leads to a car search or whatever. Doesn't really bother me I'm used to it. I had a gun and bullets in my car once, the police said they will let me go if I snitch on my friend. HA.... I told them "NAH", they let me go anyways. Cops are funny sometimes

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

And despite this, a video with officers point blank admitting they get heat for NOT complying with this policy, people will still come here and rant that it's the officers that are the problem, not the system, not the higher ups. It's a top down problem, not a bottom up problem.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

You're right, but the whole " we are just following orders" doesn't fly and we all know why.

edit on thThu, 04 Dec 2014 23:38:55 -0600America/Chicago1220145580 by Sremmos80 because: Bad habit with your/you're

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
When I was younger I used to sit and wonder how Nazi Germany could happen. A group of zealots going mad with power? Sure. But I could never get my mind around the concept that decent and normal people would simply fall in and follow along with madness and cruelty.

As an older man I now understand it, and see it in my own country. People just "doing their jobs" even though their jobs are, by definition, becoming morally reprehensible and antithetical to their purpose.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: Daedal

And despite this, a video with officers point blank admitting they get heat for NOT complying with this policy, people will still come here and rant that it's the officers that are the problem, not the system, not the higher ups. It's a top down problem, not a bottom up problem.

It's both.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Shamrock6

You're right, but the whole " we are just following orders" doesn't fly and we all know why.

Yes yes, concentration camps war crimes etc. That's not my point. My point is people rail and rail and rail against the street officer and many of them ignore the bigger picture. Are there d-bags on patrol? Sure, this video shows two of them pretty well. But all too often the comments center on shaved headed/roided out/jack booted/whatever/whatever cops pigs suck blah blah blah and end there. It's a rare comment that encompasses "the brass" or the mayor of the city council or anything beyond street level. THAT is my point.

So yes, it's both top down and bottom up, but I can pretty much guarantee that the street won't change unless the top changes first. Not because they don't want to change (as this video shows, at least SOME do), but because they can't.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I agree there needs to be some "change" in America, but comparing her to nazi Germany is an insult to everyone that suffered the true horrors that period of time brought.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
a reply to: Hefficide

I agree there needs to be some "change" in America, but comparing her to nazi Germany is an insult to everyone that suffered the true horrors that period of time brought.

Quite the contrary. Vigilance is a tribute to innocent lives lost.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
So I guess it's not PC to even suggest that society, a segment of our culture or the mentality of some urban-dwellers could be partially responsible? People seem to think that these cops are big, bad bullies who come storming in, knock people off their unicorns for no reason other than to intimidate and brutalize them, huh?
If the innocence exists with the targeted population here, try being white and walking through certain neighborhoods at night. You'll see just how friendly and non-aggressive folks can be.

Not trying to stir # up here. Just not being afraid to say it

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

I'm with you.

Here in Memphis (and the surrounding areas) the greatest majority of murders are committed by a certain group.

Where is the outcry from the left?

Nowhere.

The left cares more about what a white person says than innocent people being murdered in vast numbers every year.

Why? Because it's much easier for them to just scream "racist" and feel like they are some kind of champion of civil rights.

They know that if they approached the certain segment of society that is committing the murders-they they would more than likely be killed by the ones that they make excuses for.

It's pure cowardice.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
been to NYC, and I would never live there, why?
1...a lot of the city stinks (smells)
2...you're ground zero for any attack
3...you get gouged on just about everything you pay for
4...in the summer, it's a sweatbox, in the winter it's a deep freeze

top topics

join