It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘I honestly don’t know what to say’; Jon Stewart gets serious on Eric Garner

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Well, agree to completely disagree.

dictionary.reference.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: michaelbrux

I am already responsible for my own protection.

Police are necessary in society. But what the public needs is better trained police, more means of accountability(like body-cams), and we need a system of laws that aren't stacked against the average person.

One of the biggest reasons we have the kinds of incidents that anger people like this is the laws themselves. We have literally allowed our very existence to be legislated away, chocking it up to being "a nation of laws", instead of a nation of principles and values that are reflected in common sense laws that protect the rights of the individual citizen, and punish those who violate those rights.

Instead we have a system that creates crime out of thin air, in tandem, creating more opportunities for senseless violence to occur more often.

While I have had many a strong word for the police, I don't hate cops and I empathize with what they have to do on a daily basis. There's a lot of real scum out there.

I want to see the end of this "us vs. them" reality we've managed to create between the citizen and the cop. We all share responsibility for how society works.

Police are NOT necessary for society. The United States has only had police departments since the Pinkerton detective agency in 1850. That means from the day Jamestown was founded in 1607, for almost 250 years we had no police forces and got along just fine. Free people are entirely capable of protecting themselves and policing themselves, in fact I would require these as a definition for a free people! I would rather live in a society with inalienable constitutionally protected rights and no police forces to speak of, than this mess with an ineffective constitution and rights and freedoms doled out to us on the whims of politicians and our every action monitored by police forces that do not protect or serve us.

And I would like to point out, that while the United States Constitution defines our rights as inalienable, meaning without limits, they are limited and are not treated as inalienable. Case in point - requiring a permit to hold a protest. There is no such thing as an "unlawful protest" if a people are given the inalienable right to protest. Or politically incorrect speech, or even hate speech, if we have the inalienable right to free speech. I could go on. Every one of our "inalienable" rights are limited in practice.

What's sad is that there are people here who would disagree with the above, because they are afraid of inalienable rights and don't want to live in a free society. It's because of these same people that our society has lost it's inalienable rights and is no longer free.

As a Christian, I know someday I will be free. It just won't be in this time or place.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
none of this is happening because of the police, its happening as a result of certain someones losing complete control over them...just another element of the War against vag Terror.

police are the same as always.

do they need more training? Probably.
is it up to you whether they exist? Definitely Not.
do i want to have an encounter with one? No.
have I had encountered a cop that wanted to kill me or otherwise had a gun pointed at the back of my head. Yes.

approach the Throne without permission and be struck down without debate or discussion is the basic message that needs to be communicated to the masses.

edit on 5-12-2014 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans
As a Christian, I know someday I will be free. It just won't be in this time or place.

Your God demands total worship and devotion, while being capable but unwilling to alleviate suffering in the mortal realm. And then has a huge list of offenses to get on his bad side. That doesn't sound like freedom to me, it sounds like a visit to North Korea.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

It sounds like a visit to the US to me.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ispyed
a reply to: thesmokingman

I agree. You do live in a very violent country but I just saw 6 or 7 policeman jump on this big man and kill him. It was probably a mistake but they are accountable to the law, tough job or no tough job. It is not sociably acceptable for the police to go around killing unarmed people all the time.

Let me ask you a question. Do you know how many thugs/bad guys resist an officer, pull away, and try to get away(which COULD pose a danger to the public), OR attack the officer or try to reach for a weapon be it the officers or their own? I can tell you that it is a LARGE number. While I agree this man did not need to die obviously, it can and will be argued that he was resisting the officers, and at that point, in this country at least, that will get you into trouble EVERY TIME! Bottom line, even though I already said it a few times I will say it again, you DO NOT RESIST A POLICE OFFICER!!! EVER!!! they have one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. You ALWAYS do what the officer tells you. If the officer wants to cuff you until they figure things out(which by the way this man WAS breaking the law), then dammit let them do it. I guarantee if this man had NOT pulled away and resisted the officers, he would have simply gotten either a warning, or a ticket to appear in court for the laws that he was breaking. No, he wanted to resist and act like the law does not apply to him. The officers also did not try and kill him. He was a very large man with health issues as it was, and the effects of the chokehold did not help matters. Granted, the NYPD has rules against the use of chokeholds, however, when you have a 3-400 pounnd man pulling away and fighting you, sometimes you gotta do what you have to to take him down. This man has NO RIGHT to resist the officers, and again WAS breaking the law. Sorry, but the rules/laws apply to him just as anyone else.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I think that whilst we have the government taking money for us tax payers and paying cops then the cops are working for the state and not "We the people" which just makes them tax enforcement officers who get a bigger cut from our taxes and better pensions as a reward for milking the herd.

Voting left or right won't change nothing and we need to go after the elite, the ones born with silver spoons in their gobs and make them accountable to us and that in turn is the only way to stop the police acting like pigs.

Taking has been tried, didn't work and yes it will take blood to turn things around but then again who said freedom came free.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: amazing

LOL so you think it's because he's a partisan clown that's why I hate him. Hannity and Limbaugh are clowns too.

Nice try. Don't derail the thread.

Sorry man. I just don't understand what you're saying about him then. Is he different than Hannity in your opinion? More of a puppet? What are you really saying. Who controls him? The illuminati?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join