It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘I honestly don’t know what to say’; Jon Stewart gets serious on Eric Garner

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Did this guy die from the choke hold or did he die from a heart attack later at the hospital? One sad part is they were trying to arrest him for selling single cigarettes...really?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

If that were the case then a lot of ATS'ers would be weak because I disagree with a lot of posters. No, what's weak is your calling Jon a moron. A moron he is not. As I said, you should look for a better word to describe your hate for him because calling him a moron is a weak arguement.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Nah, I prefer tool and moron.

Useful tool, useful moron. Like any other celebrity. Sorry you disagree so much but your word is far from authoritative, far from definitive to impact my opinions.

Weak would be going "Oh swills you so correct!" Just no.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Eric Garner, the Staten Island dad who complained that he couldn’t breathe as he was subdued by cops, died from compression of the neck, the medical examiner said Friday.

The autopsy also found that compressions to the chest and “prone positioning during physical restraint by police” killed Garner. The manner of death, according to the medical examiner, was homicide.

Source

Famed forensic pathologist Michael Baden says after looking at the autopsy records of Eric Garner, he can say at this point he doesn't dispute the findings of the city's medical examiner.

The medical examiner says a chokehold lead to Garner's death.

"The patient did have an enlarged heart, a very large heart, but good coronary arteries. And did have evidence, under the microscope, of asthma," Baden said. "Compression of the neck that prevents breathing for example trumps everything else as a cause of death."

Source

I posted this in another thread so ask and you shall receive. All information we have tells us that the actions of the police officer are the cause of death. Truly a sad and unnecessary situation.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock

A thread was just posted how the person who filmed it was indicted:

Camerman Indicted

It's a murder and the only person they managed to indict was the cameraman. How many people who see police brutality will think of the actions that could be taken against them if they film the incident?

Snuff film insanity.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
I agree this death was uncalled for and very preventable. However, what I will say is people MUST get something through their head, especially in this day and age. NEVER resist a police officer no matter what! ALWAYS do exactly as you are told, I dont care if you are 100% innocently just walking down the street. ALWAYS do what you are told and do not EVER pull away from an officer. It WILL save your life, I guarantee it will save your life. These officers deal with a lot more REAL THUGS that try and run and try and attack them, than innocent people. One second can mean the difference between life and death, for both parties involved. After all, even as much as we do not like the fact, it is true that the police are there to POLICE us.

I believe that this is how the Nazi's completely took over Germany!

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

I agree. You do live in a very violent country but I just saw 6 or 7 policeman jump on this big man and kill him. It was probably a mistake but they are accountable to the law, tough job or no tough job. It is not sociably acceptable for the police to go around killing unarmed people all the time.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I agree this death was uncalled for and very preventable. However, what I will say is people MUST get something through their head, especially in this day and age. NEVER resist a police officer no matter what! ALWAYS do exactly as you are told, I dont care if you are 100% innocently just walking down the street. ALWAYS do what you are told and do not EVER pull away from an officer. It WILL save your life, I guarantee it will save your life. These officers deal with a lot more REAL THUGS that try and run and try and attack them, than innocent people. One second can mean the difference between life and death, for both parties involved. After all, even as much as we do not like the fact, it is true that the police are there to POLICE us.

Yeah right. Some idiot in a football jersey all the sudden puts his hands on me he is going to catch a hot one....

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

The point Swills is making is absolutely correct.

Your using the word "moron" - which going by the definition, is akin to calling Jon Stewart "stupid".

Now going by the arguments your making against him, it's clear that your dislike for him has nothing to do with him being stupid. So by using the word "moron" within the context of your arguments, you are clearly illustrating a lack of basic knowledge in vocabulary. That - combined with the fact that you cannot even provide any meaningful/intelligent arguments or proof that might lend a dash of credibility to your accusations - paints the picture of someone who is for the most part completely ignorant on the subject matter (specifically relating to Jon Stewart's life, intelligence and motives for his work) and who is more than likely just some bitter man who has never quite reached his potential in life or accomplished as much as he'd have liked (don't worry most of us don't), and as such is all too willing to waste his time trying to belittle those that have - for whatever little kick you get out of it.

Conclusion? The words you use to portray Jon Stewart are probably better suited in using to describe yourself (minus the word 'useful').

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Navieko

Oh well then I'll have to add your pathetic insults to my list of reasons to die

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

it is true that the police are there to POLICE us.

I thought they were there to "protect and serve"...

a reply to: [

What's the difference between "to protect and serve" and to "police"?

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Starling

I don't think there's one definition that could fit them. Some people feel protecting and serving means not ticketing them for speeding way over the limit. But mostly it's protecting and serving the population, being helpful and not being rude and condescending.

Seems like policing is surrounded by Judge Dredd type imagery. An oppressive regime stomping around and stopping people for standing around while waiting for rides.

So personally, to protect and serve is Joe Friday. To police is Judge Dredd.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Oa reply to: onequestion

A lot of people seem to forget that he was selling "illegal" cigarettes. Illegal because they weren't taxed. Cop used a choke-hold that's isn't authorized by police procedures.

Do the cops have anything better to do than bust two-bit tobacco runners? Sad...
edit on 5-12-2014 by PrinceRupertsDog because: added more.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: PrinceRupertsDog

Seems like many are willing to forget he was breaking the law which precipitated this entire incident. Or they don't even know that aspect of the story.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

To protect and serve is Joe Friday. To police is Judge Dredd.

I'm stealing that. Very succinctly put.

CSB, I once called the police because I saw strangers acting suspiciously in my neighbors back yard. The police came, but the people had left. So, the police sited the guy for some code violations on his property.

Another time, the police were swarming the neighborhood. Guess they were looking for someone. Searchlights and all. It was a mixed-race street, about 50% African-American. They were giving my black female neighbors, in her nurses scrubs, the third degree. I didn't know what was going on, since J was inside. I went outside, asked her if she was OK. I thought maybe her house was burgled. As soon as I spoke to her expressing my concern, the cop lost interest in speaking with her.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: PrinceRupertsDog
Oa reply to: onequestion

A lot of people seem to forget that he was selling "illegal" cigarettes. Illegal because they weren't taxed. Cop used a choke-hold that's isn't authorized by police procedures.

Do the cops have anything better to do than bust two-bit tobacco runners? Sad...

I don't really get your point.
First of all, he was NOT selling illegal cigarettes at the time of his violent 'take-down'.
He had just broken up a street fight, as I understand.
The police only knew him for his selling of 'lucys' in the past, but he wasn't involved in that activity at the time.
So what the hyell was he being detained for that day they killed him?
Because some shopkeeper complained of his presence on the street? Under what guise? That he was a troublemaker?

Then you seem to do a u-turn and talk about an illegal choke-hold perpetrated by the police...
So what's your point?

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Notice I refer to the cigarettes as "illegal" and not illegal. I may have been too subtle with my distain for labling him as a criminal for doing that. I live in the area, I've seen the video countless times. The police overreacted and should have been held responsible.

I am reminded of a similar incident, not race-related, where a person with Downs Syndrome was killed my police that were off-duty in a similar fashion for not leaving a movie theatre. Put him in a choke hold, took him down, compressed his chest, and he asphyxiated. Can't remember where that happened.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: PrinceRupertsDog

I saw it happen on the original Law & Order. Mike Logan tried to calm down a severely autistic boy in the holding cell and he ended up kill him. So I'm gathering since they're inspired by headlines it happened at least once.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
It is becoming clear that the Police in the USA are planting evidence and making it up as they go along and are blackmailing witnesses into collaborating their version of events by finding something like weed on them and then reaching a deal to let the walk if they cooperate to distraught the truth.

A man filming a police officer should not have his home searched and then get done with trumped up charges about downloading copyright Torrents and the USA is in desperate need of a truly independent police complaints authority that people can trust.

The Kangaroo courts system needs to be ripped down and we need to start again from the bottom and not from the top.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
This is helping to redefine the meaning of 'New York's Finest'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join