It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘I honestly don’t know what to say’; Jon Stewart gets serious on Eric Garner

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Jon Stewart is the man. The only people left in media telling the truth are comedians.

Washington post

But Stewart said that in contrast to the Ferguson case, the Staten Island case appeared to be clear. "Here, there is is none of that [ambiguity]. The coroner called it homicide, the guy's not acting threatening, and we know that because we are (expletive) watching it. Someone taped it."

Stewart knows it just like i do. Powerful police unions are forcing the DA's hand with their power. They are far to strong. This may be one of the instances where a union is a bad thing. We need to remove their power and make them servants as soon as possible.

demand justice from your district attorneys office.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

So this guy is literally getting away with murder?, just to be clear, thats whats happening?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Dabrazzo

Yup, and we sit here on our computers taking it in the you know what while they get away with 100's of murders every year. Total sociopaths. Thats just the ones we know about too im sure that number is way, way, way higher.

Think about how many of them are really serial killers?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I saw this earlier today. Will be sure to watch tonight. He is the man.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Defund departments now. Clean house.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I only disagree with one thing. Although unions may be protecting their cash cows, no one is more vested in protecting LEO's than the corrupt politicians who create the law that the LEO's are held accountable to enforce!

Protect and Serve has already been shot down by the Supreme Court by saying that the police are not there to protect citizens but to uphold the law!

Hmmmm, I wonder why?

Who protects the Prosecutors and Judges? Think real hard now.......

The justice system is just as corrupt as the politicians who create the laws. As much as I dislike the unions, this is not an instance to put the blame on them.....

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I agree this death was uncalled for and very preventable. However, what I will say is people MUST get something through their head, especially in this day and age. NEVER resist a police officer no matter what! ALWAYS do exactly as you are told, I dont care if you are 100% innocently just walking down the street. ALWAYS do what you are told and do not EVER pull away from an officer. It WILL save your life, I guarantee it will save your life. These officers deal with a lot more REAL THUGS that try and run and try and attack them, than innocent people. One second can mean the difference between life and death, for both parties involved. After all, even as much as we do not like the fact, it is true that the police are there to POLICE us.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
I saw this earlier today. Will be sure to watch tonight. He is the man.

No.
His brother Larry Leibowitz was the man. Heading the NYSE until little more than a year ago. Ah, media players...play on.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

I think they're all tools. He's just an entertainer playing his part. Though he has raised political awareness, still a total clown. Like the Illuminati Card Game card with a clown on the news. Something along the lines of "Funny reporting gets ratings".

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
it is true that the police are there to POLICE us.

I thought they were there to "protect and serve"...

I'm sorry. I don't even know what that means...

edit on 12/4/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

NEVER resist a police officer no matter what! ALWAYS do exactly as you are told, I dont care if you are 100% innocently just walking down the street.

Thank you. Took the words right out of my mouth. This is about control. Plain and simple. We are being sent a clear message. Obey your masters, and their underlings, or we'll kill you, and we'll get away away with it. There's nothing you can do. So don't even bother trying...

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

What?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

...and keep both hands in plain view.

If you have to reach into the glove compartment, do it while they can see you. Do nothing to alarm them. 'cause you'll lose.

Do exactly what they tell you to do. Say nothing. Lawyer up. Nothing more, nothing less. ...and odds are, nothing bad is going to happen.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

All good in theory however last month they shot a homeless man 43 times for a stolen cup of coffee,this guy was killed for a few cigarettes meanwhile since 2008 Bank of America has been fined $92 billion for various criminal behaviours yet not one employee has seen a day in a cell,you are correct the police are there to police,policing includes proficiency in non-lethal restraints and holds and to arrest perpetrators with a judge and jury deciding guilt and punishment,capital punishment is a court/judges perogative not a police officers perogative,when it does become a police perogative to be judge,jury and executioner with political and media support you are getting close to the system no longer having any legitimacy.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

I think they're all tools. He's just an entertainer playing his part. Though he has raised political awareness, still a total clown. Like the Illuminati Card Game card with a clown on the news. Something along the lines of "Funny reporting gets ratings".

Has he really raised his political awareness or is it a ploy for free advertising and more viewers=more money and marketability?
He can posture and argue for a larger salary now that he seems "serious" for the NBC news anchor job or whichever other network comes calling.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: thesmokingman
it is true that the police are there to POLICE us.

I thought they were there to "protect and serve"...

I'm sorry. I don't even know what that means...

Nope...Even though it is written on some police cars, the police are NOT there to protect anyone. They are to respond to crimes, not try and prevent them or protect anyone. It is true they are to "serve" us as they are public servants.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

He makes 41,000 a day.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

He makes 41,000 a day.

Yep!

Now put that into perspective by seeing Michael Moore marching in the Occupy movement........

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum

All good in theory however last month they shot a homeless man 43 times for a stolen cup of coffee,this guy was killed for a few cigarettes meanwhile since 2008 Bank of America has been fined $92 billion for various criminal behaviours yet not one employee has seen a day in a cell,you are correct the police are there to police,policing includes proficiency in non-lethal restraints and holds and to arrest perpetrators with a judge and jury deciding guilt and punishment,capital punishment is a court/judges perogative not a police officers perogative,when it does become a police perogative to be judge,jury and executioner with political and media support you are getting close to the system no longer having any legitimacy.

I understand, and also that guy they shot in SC a few months ago also, who was however reaching into his car, both are unfortunate. There ARE some bad apples in the force that let their power go to their head and do unspeakable things. The same can be said with citizens, there are bad apples in that bunch as well. These are issues of morality and the kind of person you are, not your profession.
edit on 4-12-2014 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-12-2014 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

...and keep both hands in plain view.

If you have to reach into the glove compartment, do it while they can see you. Do nothing to alarm them. 'cause you'll lose.

Do exactly what they tell you to do. Say nothing. Lawyer up. Nothing more, nothing less. ...and odds are, nothing bad is going to happen.

That would be the smart thing to do. Trouble is, there are many people out there that cannot simply relent when an officer is forcing 200 pounds onto his knee, right into your neck. Some people go into shock and relent, others see red and defend themselves, neither is controllable.

9 times out of 10, before it comes to be thrown on the ground, the situation can be defused simply by compliance but officers say some disrespectful *snip* some times too.

What really bothers me is that when they run into someone that is resisting to questioning and eventually arrest, the police act suddenly shocked and violent yelling "stop resisting" while they beat the perp with no concern for his future health.... the perp was resisting every step of the process so the police cannot claim ignorance to knowing if he was compliant, he clearly wasn't. That makes the beating that follows premeditated assault. They KNEW the perp would resist.

Don't these guys have stun guns any more. I suppose nothing will make the public happy.

Community policing. Police should know who they are policing.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join