It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This delves into a topic where the thought has been reached that one or both are real and not that both are make believe. So please contribute reasons as too which one is truth.

To me the h.s. is the spirit of christ before and afer the cross and one that trancends time and space as we understand it. Where the h.g. would be the spirit of christ after he paid the bounty of our sins on the cross thereby owning our debt by fullfilling payment to the previous owner without yet releasing us from our debt.

I think that one simple drawback of viewing our master as a ghost is the current stereotypical aspects that have been givin to the form of the dead. It also speaks to the verses that show us christ overcame death. To me if he overcame death then he is not a ghost.

Could there be more to the story between these two descriptions of the same christ like maybe there are two or even something else?

My goal for the thread is too gain understanding for the use of both the terms by some who use them.

I do not want to make this just strictly to christians but do ask that you post from the view that one of the two are real if not both.

For zGod so loved the world, that he gave his bonly begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Thank you. That is all.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick
There is no difference.
"Holy Ghost" = "Holy Spirit".
"Ghost" comes from the old German "geist", and "Spirit" comes from the Latin "Spiritus". That is all.
"Spirit" is preferred in modern translations because of the ambiguity of "ghost".
In the New Testament, the Spirit is the Spirit of God, and Paul compares the relationship to the one between a man and his own spirit.
""What person knows a man's thoughts except the spirit of the man which is in him?
So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God". 1 Corinthians ch2 v11

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Your thoughts do sum it up well but i will not say case closed just yet.

Many take exception to the terms and i am still hoping we hear from them.

Some go to great lengths to differ between the two terms.

Specifically those that believe in reincarnation and the bible.

There is a process one goes through after death and much debate about it.

As i stated in the op. a ghost imo has not overcome death but a spirit resides on a seperate plane as a ghost does.

To me that is some of the reason that not one single term has been accepted.

We have to account for those that say Jesus went to hell for 3 days.

We have to account for those that believe that a spirit is not bound to anything but a ghost is in a way a trapped spirit.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
They are two different translations of a single New Testament phrase (HAGIA PNEUMA).
They are found in exactly the same place in different versions of the Bible.
And since HAGIA PNEUMA is a Biblical concept, there is no point in giving it anything other than a Biblical interpretation.

edit on 4-12-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The original translation brings in the term "Set-Apart Spirit". Ghost is a much newer word in the translations.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
As Disraeli stated, The Holy Sprit and The Holy Ghost are the same thing.

I had a deacon tell me The Church began shying away from using the term "ghost", after the enormous popularity of a cartoon called "Casper The Friendly Ghost".

Other names for The Holy Spirit: The Great Spirit, Ruah, Third Person of The Blessed Trinity, Spirit of the promise, Spirit of adoption, Spirit of Christ, Spirit of The Lord, Spirit of God, The Paraclete, Spirit of Truth, The Advocate.

Symbols of The Holy Spirit: breath, life, wind, air, Fire, Tongues of Fire, Anointing with oil, water, the hand, the dove, the finger of God, the "cloud and light".

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Our faith teaches that Jesus descended to the dead (hell) for 3 days. this was to preach the Gospel to those that had died before his coming.

He did not descend to Gehenna, the place of eternal fire and damnation, where Satan rules. Those souls cannot be saved. There's lots of folks who hear that word and automatically think Gehenna, but it's not the same place. A more realistic saying would be; Jesus descended to the dead for 3 days.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ignatian
Our faith teaches that Jesus descended to the dead (hell) for 3 days. this was to preach the Gospel to those that had died before his coming.

He did not descend to Gehenna, the place of eternal fire and damnation, where Satan rules. Those souls cannot be saved. There's lots of folks who hear that word and automatically think Gehenna, but it's not the same place. A more realistic saying would be; Jesus descended to the dead for 3 days.

He descended into "Abraham's Bosom". Which was the abode of the righteous dead before Christ made atonement for sin on the cross. Jesus mentioned this place in his story about Lazarus and the rich man. When Christ rose from the dead he took those righteous dead with Him, and then when He ascended to heaven they came with. Abraham's Bosom has been empty since Calvary. Now the dead in Christ are present with Him in heaven when they leave the body.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I think a major point of the difference some see in the Holy spirit and Holy Ghost is being missed here.

As+ i put in one post many today feel that a ghost is a trapped spirit and there are still many churches that will not steer away from the term holy ghost and i think we have yet to find that reason in this thread.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

What I have known was that the Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit are the same thing.

I think it is also known that the Trinity is a mystery and it will remain such until we are loosed from the bonds of the flesh.

The Holy Spirit is the bond of Love between the Father and the Son.

new topics

top topics

join