It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Queens Brian May says we are living on borrowed time .

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
www.9news.com.au...

Firstly let me say that i had no idea Queens Brian May was an astrophysicist . That being said what he has to say is something that i have thought (and worried ) about for a long time . My son used to ask me will an asteroid hit us and my answer used to be that the next big one isn't expected for a long time . How would i know . I might be vaporised before i finish this . It is good to know that with warning these type of events can be easily averted ,and that is a good thing all should agree . But the smaller one hitting concerns me . Am i justified in being worried . Your thoughts ATS .

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

I wish we could have more astrophysicists inside legendary rock bands. Minds with a cosmic view are good for rock.

Thanks to this thread, I'm having a vision of Brian playing a beautiful guitar solo on top of a hill in the last minutes before an ELE.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Really nice vision there . If we get enough warning about an event that cant be averted i would go to that concert . Perhaps at a restaurant hitchhikers style .

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   
This is the first I've heard that May is an astrophysicist. Bizarre indeed.

The Article isn't very clear on what it's talking about. It was a quick read. Not much there.

Secondly, I've heard his predictions before, not on this topic, but whatever, turned out he was wrong.

ETA
Sounds like he's more interested in non extinction level events

edit on 4-12-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
So he has studied astrophysics

May studied physics and mathematics at Imperial College London, graduating with a BSc (Hons) degree and ARCS in physics with Upper Second-Class Honours. From 1970 to 1974, he studied for a PhD degree at Imperial College, studying reflected light from interplanetary dust and the velocity of dust in the plane of the Solar System. When Queen started to have international success in 1974, he abandoned his doctoral studies, but co-authored two scientific research papers: MgI Emission in the Night-Sky Spectrum (1972)[104] and An Investigation of the Motion of zodiacal dust Particles (Part I) (1973),[105] which were based on his observations at the Teide Observatory in Tenerife.

Source:
Wiki

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

You don't surprise me because I remember buying a CD from a group called PhD all of whom had PhDs. I remember the bright kids at school nearly all played an instrument so I expect there are a number of people from the music world with qulifications that would surprise the archetypal 'pop star' image.

What he says is right and was right throughout all our history. Space doesn't run on roads, but I can't help remembering something I heard a few years ago that we are going through a very crowded park of the cosmos. Lets hope if anything lands it does it in unpopulated parts. I am still not too confident that our scientists can do too much about it.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

I am interested in non extinction events as well . Particularly if it involves me . To me this is bigger than Isis . certainly bigger than Mike Brown . Call me self centred .
edit on 4-12-2014 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
It's Dr Brian May....to us folk! lol!

John Deacon has a first class honours degree in electronics.

Roger Taylor has a Bsc in Biology.

Freddy had a diploma in Art and graphic design....and designed Queen's logo.

...........Clever bunch of boys

Jane

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet

I think Patrick Moore the astronomer was a mentor of Brian's from an early age. They were good friends apparently.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
How would i know . I might be vaporised before i finish this.

A huge, city-vaporising kind of asteroid would have been spotted and tracked by the astronomers many days or weeks before the impact, giving at least some time to try to evacuate ground zero, or at least stock up on food and hide in the basement, incresing your chances of survival.

Amateur astronomers have been spotting asteroids just a few meters across beyond the orbit of the Moon, which shows how good their equipment and methods are. That said, we have the Chelyabinsk meteor, which no one spotted before the impact. Had it consisted of metal and dense solid rock, the consequences would have been much more destructive.

But on a positive note, 99% of all large (over 1km) asteroids have been found, so that reduces the chances of an unknown city-vaporising asteroid crashing into us considerably.

All things are relative. "Borrowed time" may last hundreds of years, and a city-vaporising asteroid may crash somewhere in the middle of the Pacific, causing nothing more than a huge tsunami around the coast.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

A huge Tsunami would not do coastal cities any good at all, nearly as bad as a direct impact, plus more cities being partially destroyed.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

originally posted by: violet

I think Patrick Moore the astronomer was a mentor of Brian's from an early age. They were good friends apparently.

Brian May has co-hosted (or at least appeared on) the Sky at Night at least once, he and Sir Patrick Moore seemed pretty well acquainted.

And that's even cooler than being in Queen and having hair like Anita Dobson.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Yea...

But I bet Brian didn't play guitar on your tea table (yep got it right this time) like he did on mine? J (actually I am lying and attempting humour...)

However, we have had Mick Jagger and Mark Robertson from the Meteors in our front room on a couple of occasions for a cuppa (we are all neighbours).... and very polite everything was indeed...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

No, he didn't, though Rob Halford of Judas Priest is a former neighbour of mine, and was seen through the bathroom window gobbing off the dude who used to cut and blow (arf) my mums hair.

And the real Mick J, or does a member of the Meteors share that appellation? I wouldn't have been able to talk to him without doing a comedy strut and silly accent

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
a reply to: Rodinus

No, he didn't, though Rob Halford of Judas Priest is a former neighbour of mine, and was seen through the bathroom window gobbing off the dude who used to cut and blow (arf) my mums hair.

And the real Mick J, or does a member of the Meteors share that appellation? I wouldn't have been able to talk to him without doing a comedy strut and silly accent

oOOOOO... I didn't know that Rob Halford was that way inclined?

Micks alright but last time I saw him was about 3 years ago... we met up at the local flea market at our tiny village (he has a castle smack bang next door to our village) and started talking about wine... managed to sell him some of my sister in-laws wine and he has been over here to our place on a couple of occasions. Only been to his place once and felt a little bit out of place.... But the booze was good...

He is getting old now so probably wouldn't appreciate if I started talking to him with pouty lips and strutting around like a skinned chicken...

Mark is a good mate that I try and hook up with whenever he is not on the road with his Meteors revival tour... Hes cool.

Right... back on topic... @ Hutch... I am not that worried... the day a biggie hits this planet will eventually come and there is nothing that we will be able to do about it...

Kindest respects

Rod
edit on 4/12/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Cooler than Queen .REALLY . Mini rant sorry . It would seem though that this has become about Brian May . I am cool with that but in i was really hoping to hear more about ATSers thoughts on missed asteroids .

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Sorry, but Sir Patrick Moore is the coolest man ever born.

ETA: and i have all of Queen's 70's LP on vinyl. Freaking love them
edit on 4-12-2014 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Ah come on.

Rockers have been astroprojecting for decades...

They have been writing music on a whole host of topics, it helps to view the world from a slightly different angle than most. Music is prediction poetry

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Solar winds are blowing
Neutron star controlling
All is lost, doomed and tossed, at what cost forever

Meteors fly around me
Comets die, and then they
And then they, you wanna see how they try to surround me
I can say, here today, we shall stay forever

If you want to find us in a hurry
Oh let me tell you don't you worry
I can't say, here today, we shall stay forever

www.youtube.com...

edit on 4-12-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   
On a somewhat related note, I wonder if any members of Motley Crew made it past the 10th grade.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join