It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Prices Plummet, Sh*t Hits the Fan!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

I don't get it, what possible downside is there to market based pricing of a necessary commodity?

We should be happy that fuel for heating and transportation will be more affordable for a little while. Stock up.

Frankly, it is still grossly overpriced and is being propped up by heavy taxes and regulatory costs.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I make my living in the oil patch, as does my significant other and my parents. I'm a single mom to a special needs child and I pray that the price stays at or above $40/barrel. We can't all afford to lose our jobs!

I don't think it needs to be at $120 per bbl, not trying to be greedy here, but we need the market to keep paying the operators enough for their product that they can pay their contractors, employees and sub-contractors. Otherwise, the entire state of Oklahoma will be hurting bad. Oilfield and related industries are a huge part of the economy in my home state.

I'm not saying we shouldn't transition to cleaner technology, but I have to put my kid first and all of the oilfield families I know in my area - and the ones I don't know, too. That could end up with a lot of kids going hungry.

Be careful what you wish for....

JMHO.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Internal combustion engines are ancient technology, over 100 year old technology.
since internal combustion engines were first introduced we have invented computers and sent men to the moon,but haven`t been able to develop an affordable clean or renewable energy engine?
I don`t believe it!

I have no doubts that we have the technology and the means to develop affordable non fossil fuel energies (in fact it`s probably already been done) what we haven`t been able to do yet is to find a way to connect a meter to those inventions so we can charge people for using them.
When they can figure out a way to connect a meter to sun rays and charge you for using them then we will see all kinds of solar powered things.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

I don't get it, what possible downside is there to market based pricing of a necessary commodity?

We should be happy that fuel for heating and transportation will be more affordable for a little while. Stock up.

Frankly, it is still grossly overpriced and is being propped up by heavy taxes and regulatory costs.

Your last line nails it. These costs drive up the costs for the operators to do business. And when they're having to pay thru the nose for taxes and spill plans, corporation commission fees & fines, EPA fines, etc...it makes it harder for them to pay their employees and the other service-based business owners that they hire a decent wage. And there is just no reason to tax it as heavily as our gov does, either. The government is just as greedy as the wealthy oil tycoons.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

The electric car is 100+ years old. It took mankind to get to the moon only 66 years after we first took flight on a crude fabric and wooden airplane.

Think about that for a minute. In December 1903, two guys with a wooden airplane with fabric stretched over it traveled 120 feet. They were air born for a total of 12 whole seconds. Now just 66 years after, a crew of three men on board one of the most advanced "air craft" broke through our atmosphere and landed on a foreign body in space some 230,000+ miles away!

Sixty six years people. From 120 feet to 230,000+ miles!

In 1837, we had the very first electric car. It couldn't go far, but neither did the Wright plane in the beginning. Now 177 years later, you expect me to believe that we're so inept at finding a way to store energy that we can't produce an electric vehicle worthy of replacing your daily driver?

Think about this: From first flight to landing on the moon - Sixty six years.
From first electric vehicle to STILL not being mainstream - One hundred and seventy-seven years!

I wonder why? (That's actually not true, I don't wonder why. I know why.) How can we expect to get off of oil when so many pockets are being filled by the all mighty dollar? There's no incentive, at least not for those "on the top". I fully believe we have had numerous methods of being self reliant on alternative energy. From air to water, and yes, even the venerable electric car. However, should such engines come out into the open, what will this do? It'll upset some very wealthy men who don't give a rats rear what happens to humanity after they're dead as long as their pockets are filled with that sweet, sweet green.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

I wonder what happened to fuel cells.
I had a cousin that worked for a company in Florida that was developing new fuel cells that would replace the internal combustion engines in hybrid cars. They still used fossil fuels, but were much more efficient than an engine. Especially when you factor in regenerative braking recharging the batteries.

The only problem they had was cost, and he said that they were only six months away from developing a fuel cell that was cheap enough to mass market.
That was 20 years ago.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: JesseVentura
Sure, gas prices have dropped recently. But what does this really mean in the grand scheme of things? Let’s not lose sight of the bigger picture here, vigilant viewers. We’re still energy-dependent on the Middle East, still sending troops abroad to fight all because of our dependence on foreign oil. What we need to be doing is -- instead of fighting the wars in the Middle East for oil -- we need to spend that revenue finding and changing to alternative energy and away from fossil fuel burning. We need to put our resources at getting off oil dependency completely. We gotta do it. And we gotta do it now.

What do you think? Do you agree or disagree with me?

In the mean time - and I do agree wholeheartedly with you - where are my savings on everything I buy that used 'gas prices' to raise their prices. When will the magic 'market' correct for lower gas prices - I doubt it will. Gas prices will go up again and the prices on consumer goods will too - without ever going down. Yeah Capitalism.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

preach the doom jesse preach the doom, in the meantime First U.S. Gas Station Drops Below $2 a Gallon

An Oncue Express station in Oklahoma City was selling the motor fuel for $1.99 a gallon today, becoming the first one to drop below $2 in the U.S. since July 30, 2010, Patrick DeHaan, a senior petroleum analyst at GasBuddy Organization Inc., said by e-mail from Chicago.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

What we need to be doing is -- instead of fighting the wars in the Middle East for oil -- we need to spend that revenue finding and changing to alternative energy and away from fossil fuel burning. We need to put our resources at getting off oil dependency completely. We gotta do it. And we gotta do it now.
All fine and good.

BUT

This was being preached way back in the 70's by guess who. That hated liberal Jimmy Carter. And where did it get him? Along with his asking the American public to pull together and try to reign in our over dependence on fossil fuels? Outta office and high up on the conservative "hate-em forever" list. This mantra in one form or another has been given lip service by every president since. Does your plea above rank with the "lip service" crowd or might you have suggestions that can help to take it further.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

where are my savings on everything I buy that used 'gas prices' to raise their prices. When will the magic 'market' correct for lower gas prices

How do we spell B I N G O .
Magic market indeed.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
As long as our economy is based on the petrodollar, we are stuck with big oil.

However, other countries (BRICS in particular) are trading oil for gold, thereby negating the petrodollar, which is currently being artificially propped up while the price of gold is manipulated downward.

Keeping oil at really low prices is a way to try and screw over BRICS countries, but it's only gonna bite us in the butt. They're using our petrodollars as an intermediary payment, which is propped up artificially high, and they buy gold, which is artificially low. The whole thing is insane.

When the petrodollar crashes like the Ponzi scheme that it is, we can start alternative energy in earnest. I believe we already have the technology, but big oil is going to squeeze every bit of money out of it before then.

PS I live in oil country. There are a lot of young widows out here, who have lost their husbands to cancer, and a lot of "survivors" who have had parts chopped out of them due to cancer. It's a dangerous occupation, it stinks to high heaven, the workers are pushed to the point where most of them have to do meth in order to keep up, and it's just a boom....eventually, it WILL go bust. The water in this area is so bad chemicals like arsenic are WAY over the EPA level of what is considered safe (thanks to fracking), and cities have to provide free water stations with RO water as the tap water is too poisonous to drink. People have sores from "arsenic sensitivity" simply from taking a shower....I could go on and on with the environmental and health horrors I see in my job, but all I'll say is, a few years worth of a job before you get riddled with cancer is NOT worth what is being done to the people and the water table out here. I would LOVE to see it end.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: JesseVentura
Sure, gas prices have dropped recently. But what does this really mean in the grand scheme of things? Let’s not lose sight of the bigger picture here, vigilant viewers. We’re still energy-dependent on the Middle East, still sending troops abroad to fight all because of our dependence on foreign oil. What we need to be doing is -- instead of fighting the wars in the Middle East for oil -- we need to spend that revenue finding and changing to alternative energy and away from fossil fuel burning. We need to put our resources at getting off oil dependency completely. We gotta do it. And we gotta do it now.

What do you think? Do you agree or disagree with me?

I am with you Jesse! Bout time! I knew there was something we had in common. Always liked you, even when you were just a wrestler! We are 10 years past the time we should have done this to be on top. Maybe we can keep up if we do it now...

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Gas Prices are way down lately. 1st i thought it had something to due to the Election. As a way to keep the incumbents in office, but then i looked into it and several Oil Companies are involved in keeping the Oil prices down in an effort to slow down the Natural Gas Industry. Mainly due to the abundance of Gas hitting the market due to new fracking (Which I hate because of the side effects to the planet, and no i'm not a tree hunger just a creature living on Earth).

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I drive over 110 miles a day to work and back, many times way further.

I welcome the low prices.

I have always thought there should be a $1.99 per gallon cap on petrol.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Auricom

My ancestor was Studebaker and from the letters and notes I keep you are pretty spot on with your line of thinking. Even 177 years ago there were choices made which went in direct opposition to a world that saw prosperity for all, that was one of the reasons they took it in another direction. Interesting.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

You would never tell the price of gas [ petrol ] had gone down by 40 + % in the U.K Mr Ventura it is still about $ 2 a Litre here

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   

We are late having this debate because its the people who were/are the oil barons that control our policy makers so until every last bit of oil has been used up, they won't let their stranglehold of governments lessen.

I actually think that were people to deliberately not vote in a general election, in order to upset our political system for a while and then demand change before going to the ballot box to elect new politicians and not these puppets, then we have a chance to define what we want and to demand our paid politicians give it to us. All the time we vote them in, we are stuck with oil baron and the policies that make these cartel families the power to rule the public.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Middle eastern oil is cheap and accessible. I'd much rather see us suck up every last drop of oil in a part of the world that is pretty much a barren wasteland of desert and sand than see us frack and mine the hell out of our forests and pristine lands. If we would stop destroying our forests and wilderness and let plants and trees thrive we wouldn't have to worry so much about pollution and climate change.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   

I'm all about finding alternative means of energy, but here is where I have a problem. The current tech required to create said alternative energy sources also produce a very large amount of toxins themselves, not to mention also consuming large swaths of land in cases of Wind Turbines and Solar. And the impact they have on the environment to boot.

Those two issues must be addressed as well.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Mr Ventura,

I agree that removing dependency on fossil fuels from the grand mathematics of life on this planet is necessary long term, but I believe that it is necessary no matter what price the oil gets to, or who gets to charge for it. The fact is that the price of oil is not the most important reason to make effective and efficient changes from fossil fuels to more renewable sources, like solar energy (some very interesting power production methods have been tested involving large numbers of parabolic mirrors, focusing the suns rays on a single point in a specially built tower, producing heat which is used to heat water, which creates steam, which is used to turn a turbine, yada yada) for example. In fact there are so many advances being made in the realm of power storage, power usage, and power production, that to remain obsessed with fossil fuels will make increasingly less sense, the longer we go on with it.

On another matter entirely... Mr Ventura, are you O.K.? It seems as if in every video I see from OTG, you move from side to side in such a way, and at such a speed, that it is sometimes difficult to watch! Is there something wrong with your legs?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join