It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: No Charges in Eric Garner Chokehold Case for Officer

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

I have no idea.

Maybe they are there to intimidate people.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: jheated5
Wait what? Where you live cops can condemn a house? Where I am from it's building inspectors that do that....

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: teamcommander

They don't have to place him under arrest before subduing him...

For example if someone is told to put their hands on the hood of their car to be searched and they don't comply, an officer can forcefully subdue them for non compliance. Then the officer can decide to arrest or not. (Or a fleeing suspect. He won't be arrested until he has been caught and restrained) You can be cuffed etc to be controlled without being placed under arrest.

The issue here isn't if he was or was not under arrest, it was the manner in which he was dealt with with seemed excessively forceful.

Even his daughter was on CNN and said she didn't think this was a race issue, but an ego issue for the cop who wanted to take down a really big man. The officer seemed VERY quick to want to throw him in a choke hold and take him down.
edit on 6-12-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

No. I think they made that story up or left out the majority of it. (Or they aren't from the USA)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
It saddens me that an American, trying to make ends meet by selling cigarets, is killed by the cops for no damn good reason. Then the, and I am trying to control myself, "policeman" waves to the camera like he made a touchdown.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Collateral

You are talking about a technique/classification while I'm talking about a result. I could honestly care less what you or anyone else classifies an RNC as. Because if you or I choke someone to death you better believe the prosecution won't view it as anything other than deadly force, whether it's voluntary or not. Had Eric Garner choked the officer and the officer died would it still fail to qualify as deadly force? Sure it would be an assault but since, as you've demonstrated, a choke isn't deadly force, could they have charged him with murder or any variation of manslaughter?

So why protect police behind technicalities? Why is it okay for them to kill someone because in their mind they didn't apply deadly force?

Where do I draw this line? We can start by declaring that if a police officer employs an unauthorized method of force, such as the RNC, they should no longer have protection from the use of force continuum. The rest we can leave to common sense which unfortunately for you, doesn't include air conditioning.

Now these are opinions that I've held long before the "current media and popular opinion hyperbol". So the next time you want to tell me what drives my opinion, keep it to yourself.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Well he applied the RNC before he was on the ground being restrained.
He obviously had no idea on the way to use it for numerous reasons; namely that it is illegal to use via police procedure and that he wasnt applying it correctly in any case.

To say that he understood what he was doing is erroneous, yet his ignorance is no excuse for breaking procedure.

I am inclined to believe that he didn't realize that what he was doing could be instrumental in causing someone's death, but he most definitely knew he wasn't supposed to be doing it, and chose to do it anyway, consequences be damned. I've seen numerous posts on this thread in which people said if he hadn't been breaking the law, he wouldn't have lost his life. The same can be said for the cop...if he had not applied a choke hold on the guy in the first place, he might be alive and in jail instead of in the ground.

Here's the thing: he had awareness of the fact that he was employing an illegal choke hold, whether properly or not, and he directly violated departmental policy by doing so. And it certainly looked like he knew he was being filmed, yet he did it anyway. Even an improperly applied choke hold can sufficiently block someone's airway and compress blood flow, resulting in a lack of oxygenated blood going to the brain...that is the reason that people lose consciousness when they're being choked out. And this man already had an enlarged heart, which means it had to work twice as hard to pump blood into the circulatory system.

It is highly likely that the compression the cop delivered was just enough to trap air in his lungs...and the oxygen would have converted to carbon dioxide within seconds, irritating the lung tissue and causing an inflammatory response, effectively closing off his airway. He would have had extreme difficulty drawing in any air because of that, and soon afterward panic would have set in as a response to air starvation, which in turn would have exacerbated his existing breathing issues tenfold, and caused his enlarged heart to race which would have further stolen any circulating oxygen from his bloodstream that remained.

And after all of that, the officers were on top of him, further compressing his airway. At best, all he would have been capable of would have been drawing in tiny little "sips" of air...nowhere near enough oxygen to make it through the circulatory system of a body that large. He would have very quickly developed chemical acidosis. His lungs would have burned like fire. If you're not familiar with crucifixion, for example, look it up...the way the bodies were hung caused chemical acidosis, and the crucified person died slowly of suffocation. It is a horrible, painful way to die. We can only hope that he passed quickly and wasn't aware of what was happening to him, of the fact that he was dying on the sidewalk.

Now, of course the cops had no way of knowing the physiological chain of events that was unfolding...but the cop who choked him knew better than to put him in that hold. It wasn't an accident...he knew exactly what he was doing, and knew that it was expressly forbidden. And his fellow officers didn't try to stop him, nor did they relent when the victim stated that he couldn't breathe. Every last one of them was responsible for this man's death, but the choke hold was the catalyst for everything that subsequently transpired. And you're right; there is no excuse for that.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Highground

That may not be true if the person is under arrest, and has been arrested a couple dozen times before, resisting arrest in many of those other arrests. People say all kinds of things when being arrested, "I can't breathe!" "You're breaking my arm!" "The cuffs are cutting off circulation to my hands!"

In normal circumstances, you are probably right as someone wouldn't normally make up such a lie out of the blue. However, when being arrested, police would wind up with serious problems if even half the "medical complaints" they received were true.

Unfortunately, you are absolutely correct. I wish I could say that I don't believe that to be the case, but I know better...and not just because of the "crying wolf" scenario, but because people have been led to believe that a person who is suffocating is robbed of the ability to speak. It's a common...and dangerous...misconception. If someone is choking on a bolus of food lodged in the trachea, that is usually true. But it is most definitely not true of people who are being suffocated.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

I hope for blood in the streets. This issue will not resolve until we the People show the occupation we mean business.

Question: has a cop in America EVER been indicted? Excluding the ones who rape women in their squad cars...I don't think so.

You hope for blood in the streets, eh? Are you volunteering to lead this revolution against "the occupation"? Would you be willing to risk your life or the lives of those you care about in order to test your little theory? I doubt it very seriously. It's easy to be a tough guy when you're safely tucked away spouting your ridiculous nonsense from behind a computer screen, isn't it? When people protest in NYC, they generally keep it organized and peaceful. Why? Because they're not stupid. Violence solves absolutely nothing. It only ramps up the already volatile atmosphere and endangers innocent people's lives.

And yes, plenty of cops have been indicted in America. A quick google search could have told you that. I linked several recent ones so you can educate yourself. And they happened right smack in the middle of the Dirty South, historically one of the most racially intolerant areas in the country. They are very aware of the failure to indict the officers in the Garner case in NY, and all of the blanket stereotyping of law enforcement that goes along with it, and they are committed to making sure that officers who abuse their power are given the punishment that they deserve. So your silly assertion that cops only get indicted when they "rape women in their squad cars" is completely invalid. Ignorance is a nasty, virulent disease, and you really should stop spreading it.

Earlier this year, a grand jury in North Carolina indicted a Charlotte-Mecklenburg officer for fatally shooting a former college football player who was knocking on doors looking for help after he drove his car off the road.

And a police officer in North Augusta, South Carolina, was indicted in August on a charge of misconduct in office after he shot a 68-year-old man who had failed to pull over for a traffic stop, and instead drove home.

ABC News

CBS news

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

* * * * * * * * * REMINDER * * * * * * * * * *

Please refrain from personal comments toward other members............ in other words, keep it civil.

It's a heated topic. It's fine to be passionate about this issue. Please post on-topic and not about each other.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: beforemorning
Even if mass riots in NYC don't occur, I'm glad as a white I am not living anywhere near there. Guerilla warfare isn't easy to avoid. On a constructive note, what can replace the dysfunctional grand jury system?

In theory the jury system should work however it is corrupt and open to bias and human flaws. It reflects our society. There are many levels to the broken system so your questions a hard one to answer. But im working on it.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

You are talking about a technique/classification while I'm talking about a result. I could honestly care less what you or anyone else classifies an RNC as. Because if you or I choke someone to death you better believe the prosecution won't view it as anything other than deadly force, whether it's voluntary or not.

The technique and the result are linked. Deadly force would be a force that normally results in death, not accidently.

If you or I choke someone to death, unintentionally, on camera, on someone who is breaking a law?

So why protect police behind technicalities? Why is it okay for them to kill someone because in their mind they didn't apply deadly force?

How am I protecting the officer by disputing the terminology of deadly force?

Do you think this is a case of manslaughter or murder?

Where do I draw this line? We can start by declaring that if a police officer employs an unauthorized method of force, such as the RNC, they should no longer have protection from the use of force continuum. The rest we can leave to common sense which unfortunately for you, doesn't include air conditioning.

Glad to see that you took the air conditioning line to heart to try and somehow aid your conclusions.
You are really, really getting jumbled up on the terminology of deadly force.

A taser for example, is not deemed a deadly force, yet many deaths are related to it. Just because someone dies from it, does not mean it becomes classified as deadly force.

Now these are opinions that I've held long before the "current media and popular opinion hyperbol". So the next time you want to tell me what drives my opinion, keep it to yourself.

I'll tell you whatever I want, whenever I want, especially if I think you are just knee-jerking to the media & popular opinion.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
At work, there is a baby doll left in the store room. Its hands are up. I put a sign on it that says, "Hands up! Don't shoot!" Someone (we have no black employees) wrote on the sign, "Don't steel or resist".

Some police departments need to state, "We understand that we have really messed up some communities through years of abuse. Get over it, or we'll kill you where you stand."

I have studied manipulation all my life, yet I have been manipulated. I have studied psychology, yet I have been hopelessly depressed. I understand what it's like to experience detrimental feelings and behaviors beyond my control. I'm a white male whose father was a Mason. If it happens to me, I imagine it's much worse for an oppressed minority. It's too bad many have given up on correcting the mistakes of the past. It's ironic that it's called the "department of corrections".

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Im now bored of all this "police killers" crap..

If you behave yourself then the Police dont have the need to give you a beat down.

However, when you have a rap sheet going back 30 years including violence, and you in the street doing what you shouldnt..What ever comes next is your fault.

His death was caused by his physical condition.

If he'd have been at home with his 6 kids and not in the street selling tabacco he'd be alive for xmas.

edit on AM6Sat20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

edit on AM6Sat20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

I've seen numerous posts on this thread in which people said if he hadn't been breaking the law, he wouldn't have lost his life. The same can be said for the cop...if he had not applied a choke hold on the guy in the first place, he might be alive and in jail instead of in the ground.

If he had complied, the choke hold wouldn't have been necessary.
If he hadn't have been selling tabacco, he wouldn't have been in trouble and therefore, there was no need to detain him or for him to comply.

So he brought around his own demise.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: andy1972

Did he have tobacco on him when all was said and done?

Why does he need to comply with an unnecessary search?

Expressing your rights should not end up with you being taken down physically and in this case cause you to lose your life.

If the cops were not doing sketchy stop and frisks then this would not have happened

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Yes, he did have quite a few. Doesn't make it OK.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I have the feeling that the wearing of a sports jersey says something about the person's mindset. Maybe police work isn't what he should be doing.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Twenty seven pages later and the facts are:
1. The police asked him to cuff up.
2. He refused to comply.
3. Police are obliged to use force to yield compliance.
4. The "chokehold" officer has the crook of his elbow positioned over Adams apple to prevent crushing windpipe.
5. Persons who are being choked to death do not have sufficient air exchange to scream "I cant breathe."
6. Difficulty breathing are symptoms of asthma attach and heart attack.
7. Grand jury came to proper conclusion.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Good to know people with asthma are allowed to be suffocated by police. Someone should do a public service announcement.

<< 24  25  26    28 >>

join