It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cashiers Who Put the Coins on Top

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: magnecore

The change is on top so the paper money doesn't get blown away, and it just easier that way. I don't understand your argument, would you rather it came in a pile on the bottom? They aren't gonna give it to you in nicely stacked roles, so what do you want them to do?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Royal76

Make it easier on customers and strive for excellence in customer service. Its the small things that create a good over all experience.

Its bad enough some stores want us check ourselves out and bag our own cheap chinese made junk, then harass at the door to like you just stole it all.

A little better training and courtesy would be nice. But thats just me.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I always put the coins on top because I get the bills out first. It's faster that way. Sorry that you're going to have to think and clench your hand over your money so that it doesn't fall. I'd rather be able to see the change and make sure that it is correct versus having it hide in my hand. plus, I don't want to touch your hand. The bills are like a barricade of sorts lol

oh, and customer service is everything. I like to make peoples' days. ^_^
edit on 3-12-2014 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
These days with everything being counted on machines and the change being automatically worked out people are just reading out the numbers from left to right and making it happen so if something £27.34 and someone hands me £40 (2x£20) the till will work it out and tell me its £12.66 so i'll work from left to right so its a tenner out first then a £2 coin or 2x£1 then a 50p followed by a 10p and finally a 5p and a penny. Its so easy you could probably teach a monkey how to do it (and in modern corporate business thats about all the level of IQ you want from the shop floor workers)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Is this where I can bitch about the twenty-somethings that cannot count change?!?!?!?!

Where they shut the store down, because they cannot get the internet up, and the computers won't tell the cashiers how much change to give back to the customer.

Or at wally world, where the receipt no longer shows the tax on the receipt. I noticed because the prices of my items didn't add up to the grand total at the bottom. The clerk's response was "How can you tell?" I asked her if that suburb has 8 & 1/4 tax, and she had no clue. I got it by doing the math in my head before she could get the machine to print out the local sales tax rate.

She probably got a "participation trophy" for showing to class for the "new math."

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Psychonautics Sometimes when I grocery shop I see the older cashiers counting back with change first, then dollars. It is not hard to learn. I taught my daughter how to do it when she was in kindergarten. When I worked at Auto Zone I always counted back change first, then dollars it is easier for customers to see the right amount has been returned to them. I still watch cashiers to make sure they are returning the cash in the correct amount.
I figure that the counting cash back is a problem because most cash registers show how much return is suppose to be. It was not like that a decade ago. Electronics have become a problem. :-)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

I applaud you Iwinder! While you are counting the bills the customer (who already has gotten their coins) has a chance to put the loose change in their pocket or purse.

I can't stand it when they hold the bills in one hand, and pour the change on top with their other hand, then shove the whole mess towards you. If you are holding car keys or cell phone or product you just purchased in one of your hands, your only change is to try to crumple the bills around the loose coins and shove the wad in your pocket without dropping the coins. While this is going on they toss in the receipt too! Hate it!

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Interestingly, this seems to be an issue dictated by age. Those who used old style registers and those who have only used the new. Also bank tellers methods for counting money have remained unchanged.
(Pun intended)
Trivial subject, I know, but glad to chat with everyone.
edit on 4-12-2014 by magnecore because: context

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
a reply to: Psychonautics Sometimes when I grocery shop I see the older cashiers counting back with change first, then dollars. It is not hard to learn. I taught my daughter how to do it when she was in kindergarten. When I worked at Auto Zone I always counted back change first, then dollars it is easier for customers to see the right amount has been returned to them. I still watch cashiers to make sure they are returning the cash in the correct amount.
I figure that the counting cash back is a problem because most cash registers show how much return is suppose to be. It was not like that a decade ago. Electronics have become a problem. :-)

You are right, it is not hard to learn, even I can do it!

Some people just aren't taught how.

Still, at a high speed, high volume store like Dunkin Donuts, we didn't have time to vocalize every part of the transaction. The faster and smoother, less room for error way is using the newer registers. Takes human error out, but we are still there as an extra failsafe to make sure the change is right.

All you need to do is press the button corresponding to the bill the customer gives you, and read the number it gives you for change. A monkey could do it. Its fast, simple, idiot proof.

I think it really depends on what kind of store you are a patron of

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Nothing is idiot proof ,
Trust me I've been served by some tards in the uk !
Coins all over the floor !
When they give me the leaning tower of coinage it's horrendous !
And the spill , all over the shop floor !
I don't know what to do first , stop the rolling of the shrapnel all over !
Double face palm while turning angrily towards the #tard at the counter !

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I noticed this started several years ago around the same time drive thru people started handing out the drink with that straw held against the side of it, which I also hate. Too many awkward grapplings to try and keep hold of things when handed out badly in both instances. One girl where I go weekly piles up the bills, coins, and receipt and hands it over with her other hand ready to catch it if it falls. Very annoying balancing act.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join