It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloody Australia

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Flamin Mongrels the lot of ya,

I agree that the media and other outlets put too much importance on celebrity and sport star deaths.

That night when it was announced and on Chanel 10 at 7pm or 7.30 PM the panel show they have where Rove said its a sad day sort of pissed me off,

Why?

I find it sad that so many children die each day due to how the world and us humans operate and live our lives here in western 1st world countries,

I am disgusted at myself and wish not to say how I feel about a nation as a whole, I felt empathy for those that knew the guy but I hate how the media imply that this mans importance to the world is greater than that of single child somewhere most will never visit like area in Africa or the Middle East where kids are dying too often to think about too much because its sickening and without a solution to the problem you realize it just makes you sick.

RIP for all those that are in better place now.
edit on 3-12-2014 by InhaleExhale because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
When something like this happens and the whole country is mezmerised by the glut of newspaper tributes it makes me really suspicious as to what "actual news" is being bumped from the first page in a media misdirection.

I'm starting to see a bit of a conspiracy against the Liberals, particularly Abbott. Don't get me wrong I don't vote for either of the major parties but with all that money spent on Public Relations and Communications experts the Gov't have gotten a poor service. The importance and absolute necessity of the budget wasn't explained - at all which would have "lessened the blow" so to speak. The achievements of Abbott and Julie Bishop overseas have been phenomenal and yet it was only a blip on the radar. Even with the so called right leaning Murdoch press being in the Libs corner he still prints negative articles. The PM is shown standing in front of the camera alone talking when no leader in their right mind would do so; the last 4 years have seen every non dictator facing the camera with a bunch of 'yes men' standing behind nodding and applauding. No MEdia Adviser in their right mind would miss such a basic tool to show that their are many other people in agreeance that the PMs course of action is correct (whether it be so or not). There are many other example which are becoming obvious that I think I'll create a separate thread about it!

Now I know you're saying "you can't polish a turd" but in PR you really can. I have worked in PR for going on 6 years and the right words can turn around the worst of situations.

One possible news story that was widely ignored (even by Murdoch) came out in Parliament Question Time two days ago where it was found that Labour Member for Ballarat Catherine King has been found to have rort more than $7.4 milliion in taxpayer funds from the Rural Development Fund to inner city Labour seats by a corruption commission.

But don't get me wrong: I think it was terribly sad that he died so young and so out of the blue. Australian society has been fragmented over the last year; it seems like everyone is in disagreeance being either Pro-Shorten vs Pro-Abbott, theres been a big surge of nationalism vs muslim "outsiders", Australian Diggers vs ISIL, the Police Comissioner seems to be holding a Islamic dinner every two weeks which has gotten a lot of peoples noses out of joint, Napthine vs Andrews the list goes on.

This tragic accident has banded the nation together again - which I dont see as a bad thing but I must ask "where doesn't the magician want us to look?"

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

I have to agree man. I had no idea who he even was until his coma & resulting death became the subject of distraction for the past week or two. It sucks, don't get me wrong... but so do a lot of other things. So I struggle to understand it as well.

I'm sorry you died a tragically unlucky death Phillip, and I hope you are in a better place out there in the ether of the cosmos - but quite frankly I don't care about cricket, it bores me even more than golf - so I don't particularly have any reason to mourn your death besides the fact that you died too young.

That's sad, sure, but not national news-worthy. People die too young every day from more tragic causes. Just because he played cricket good doesn't mean he is more important than the rest of humanity. RIP Hughes. Better luck next time brother

And MSM... shame on you. As usual.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I'm English and I have been in Australia for about a year now. I respect their love for sport, especially Cricket so it was no surprise that it was such big news. It was an incredibly tragic accident and yes, people are being killed all over the world through conflict, disease etc. But this was very close to home for a lot of people.

I think the title 'Bloody Australia' is plain ignorant to be honest.

He was a down to earth bloke, doing what he loved FOR HIS COUNTRY. His Country has every right to make this headline news.

So yes, there has been a lot of media attention regarding this and yes it was national news but so what, the guy deserved a good send off and now that has happened.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I think it's more the pure bad luck aspect of it that shocked so many people.

And by bad luck, I mean REAL bad luck, considering that if the ball had hit him literally 1 or 2 millimetres either side of where it actually hit him, he would still be alive. I played last Saturday, and after our game finished, one of our players turned up straight from work as the Senior ER Doctor at one of the local hospitals. Curiosity got the best of us, and we started asking him questions about what he knew of it. And this is what he told us:-

*It was only the 100th time a death like this had been recorded in the entire country.
*The artery that was crushed, which lead to Hughes' death, is only exposed (and by exposed, I mean not protected by the spine and the skull) for 1.5cm, and is less than 1cm wide
*The injury which killed him has a 100% fatality rate, and usually kills on the spot, so for Hughes to have lived for an extra 2 days is an extremely rare occurance
*If the ball had hit him only several millimetres either side of where it did, he would have been alive still, albeit with an extremely sore neck and quite the headache.

I do agree that the media coverage about it did drag on longer than necessary, at the end of the day, it was a freak accident, that affected more than just 1 person. And the fact that leading up to his death, it had been talked about that he was going to be picked for Australia again only 2 days after he died, shows that anyone, anywhere, can be felled by freak accidents, and to have died so young, and so unnecessarily, really hits home for so many people.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Villain

Nice first post mate!

Welcome to ATS !

You've come out firing ...

Eta: I gave you your first star ...

edit on 4-12-2014 by Timely because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-12-2014 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The ordeal has been blown out of proportion by the media not the whole of bloody Australia as the title of this OP suggests.The site from which you've taken the screenshot, news.com.au have become more and more hysterical by the month and also more low brow. I work in a isolated area and I get my news from this the mobile version of this site and the ABC news. The ABC news showed only a tiny percentage of this stuff compared to news.com.au. And when you scroll to the bottom of the news.com.au mobile homepage you can see the five top clicked upon stories of the day. Hughes' death seldom had more than one one this list, sometimes none.
News.com.au has become more and more irrelevant over the past six months, my message to you would be stop visiting this site and use the others such as ABC.
More and more stories on news.com.au are starting with phrases such as 'You won't believe the 5 Steps to losing those winter kilos!' or 'You'll never guess the top ten questions air hostesses are asked!'
In short, the stories news.com.au push the most are more than likely not the most read, as demonstrated by their own 'most popular stories' selection. I think your threshold of this story puts you in the majority in Australia not the minority.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum

This little snippet "this guy committed the cardinal sin of taking his eye off the ball and the rest is history." is pathetic. You have never faced the pace he was facing and you wouldn't have a clue. Playing back yard cricket against your retarded dad doesn't give you license to adjudicate a professional sportsmen and if you weren't and this was an attempt at humour then you still suck.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Nobody is forcing you to watch or read the news. You jealous or something that he is getting more attention than you? He deserves it...

Obviously no doctors, scientist, nurses or police officers did anything news worthy that is why they werent any news stories about those types of people. As I have already shown these people get enough attention when they do something that deserves it.

It's truly sad that you're having a cry about this.

Clearly you only seem to remember what you want to remember. There are plenty of other people (including the types of people you claim aren't) getting the attention the deserve. Go and look for yourself or keep being ignorant, either way I don't care. Pretty pathetic you're having a cry over this...lol.

Get over it already.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: HanaDambi

Nobody is forcing you to watch or read the news. You jealous or something that he is getting more attention than you? He deserves it...

Are you just directing at everybody who feels differently than you or someone in particular?

You use the term "you" a few times who are talking to?

Obviously no doctors, scientist, nurses or police officers did anything news worthy that is why they werent any news stories about those types of people. As I have already shown these people get enough attention when they do something that deserves it.

Sorry but I think if one of these people save a life it has way more importance than a cricketer dying and having just about every news and talk show dedicate stuff in the his memory for a week is over the top,

Now we have threads ranting about this and giving the situation more attention, Am I am helping a cause I disagree with AHHHHH, I'm out

His death has no more value than any other death.

My opinion is its extremely ignorant to say it does because he played a sport many love.

But you don't care so you are just ?

Trolling or looking for an argument, yes your just as pathetic for contributing
at you and me,

Now to go clean myself up

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: generalspecific

Maybe we can put this guys baggy green cap on top of the statue at the tomb of the unknown soldier or maybe at the war museum among the Victoria crosses,HE WAS JUST A #ING SPORTSMAN WANKER, as for my father hes 6 times the man you never were or ever will be.
edit on 4-12-2014 by khnum because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-12-2014 by khnum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum
Yeah, sorry about the dad comment I'm sure you're right I was drunk when I posted that. Tell me though, honestly, he used to bowl underarm to his special boy didn't he....

'HE WAS JUST A #ING SPORTSMAN WANKER,' and that quote proves how special you are.

.... bit of respect for the dead, you didn't know him and by all accounts he was a nice bloke. I agree parts of the media could concentrate on other things rather than his passing but that's no reason to denigrate his memory with the vitriol that you show.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: generalspecific

No I never played beyond high school level and I certainly was not A grade in indoor cricket although there were certainly quickish bowlers I have never faced 140 kmh plus bowling,I could of expressed myself differently and maybe it was a bit early to mention it but the truth is he took his eyes off the ball,for whatever reason, which is something a man at his level should not do,watch the video a cricketer of any level can comment on it,I said in an early post it was tragic what happened but unlike half of the faux radio,tv and sports celebrities out there Im not going to pretend I knew him,nor care that much beyond recognizing it was a tragic accident that happened to him,I hope he rests in peace and Im sorry for the week of crap his grieving parents have been put through but by the same token this guy aint Simpson and his donkey at Gallipoli.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

A girl died from a golf ball hitting her head in my local area, freak accident.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

I admit I watched his funeral while I was doing housework, on ABC 24 - When his coffin was loaded into the hearse his Mama Virginia was so distraught, I started crying, one mother to another.

Gave my boy an extra cuddle.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join