It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO's Pose no Threat

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: tanka418

originally posted by: Tangerine
MUFON has been cataloging sightings for years but, as far as I know, hasn't done anything with those lists of sightings. That's not a scientific study.

No it is not...however all that data; is a good start, and a basis for several "studies".

Your claim that "otherworlder starships" are visiting earth is not a scientific theorum (ie. theory). It's a hypothesis. Don't confuse the two.

I'm wondering IF you understand the very small difference between the two...

Doing nothing with data makes the data worthless. If you think there's only a small difference between a hypothesis and a testable evidence backed theorum, you need to take a course in science.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

O.K. Testable evidence of what, exactly? If you're claiming that captured images are testable evidence that images exist, sure. But what do the images prove except that images of unknown origin exist?

You really do seem a bit overly obtuse...

And, no, you aren't left with a pile of images of unknown origin. You are left with a stack of images that are truly "unidentifiable", but you prolly don't see the advantage in that...

This stack of images are what is left after you have removed all the real reflections,, lens flares, and other identifiable objects. What is left can then be categorized, and further analyzed, and over time possibly identified, perhaps you will find "Gold"...BUT; you will never find anything if you reject it all out of hand. Every bit of data you can collect should be valued, analyzed, and saved properly in your database.

The poster claimed that studies have been done. Focus on that. Yes, every bit of data collected should be analyzed but that is not what is happening. I don't call someone claiming "The Zeta Reticulans are here!" to be analysis.I don't call someone claiming the space brothers are here to safe us being proper analysis. I asked who is conducting proper scientific studies of UFOs.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   

I'll ask again, who is doing all this scientific research regarding UFOs?

You do know that there are a few serious researchers here on ATS, right? The likes of Stan Friedman, Jim O'Berg, and a few others.

Although, it seems that most who purport to be "researchers" aren't, not really...they seem to pick a different historical event of some question, and attempt explain "what really happened". In my opinion, as a data scientist/engineer, they typically fail at even the most fundamental analysis. It's really difficult to know; they seem more like high school math students who don't always show all of their "work" in the derivation of some equation. A math teacher would likely "fail" the loot, regardless of whether they stumbled upon the correct answer, or not...typically they manage "close enough".

Of course the problems and issues associated with real scientific analysis of an event, are almost "impossible"; its not like One can materialize an "object" on demand, reliably. Thus it is difficult to set up all the required data acquisition systems and actually collect some useful data.

So, we are left with the forensic path, and what is happening there is...deplorable. As I said, mostly poor data analysis technique applied to insufficient data, the only "good" part here is that; even that works eventually...just takes longer...

I'm aware that there are people making a living selling books about UFOs. Most of these people simply select "cases" and apply their biases to them and reach pre-determined conclusions absent an iota of hard evidence. I agree with you that it is extremely difficult to conduct serious studies of UFOS but that doesn't change the end result: a lot of hypotheses and little if any hard evidence.

It may be that the ET/government coverup hypotheses should be set aside and other possibilities pursued. After all this time, there isn't an iota of hard evidence that ETs even exist. Perhaps UFOs are not space craft piloted by aliens.

Is the government covering up something? Who knows. I do know that the government never tells us the truth about anything and, even if they have it, the government isn't going to tell us the truth about UFOs. Why waste time pursuing that avenue?

I'm suggesting that we look at the phenomena/phenomenon with fresh eyes instead of endlessly rehashing the same old crap ad nauseum.

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join