It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we have a rule that you are not allowed to call other posters racists,please?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I think his post was more general than ATS. I see that in a lot of anti-government threads and police state threads.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

But if people are in power and limit their own accountability with letting certain things slide but blatantly being prejudice towards other sides exactly where is the room to question the system?

It's like the government, you wash my back I'll wash yours.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lynk3
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

A system is only as corrupt as the people using it. If you want change, become a part of it, change it from the inside. If you don't want to do that, deal with it and stop moaning. Rebellions don't make things better.

In that case, can we have our colony back please? ;P

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Lynk3

ods are great, but they need help. If we can make a person edit their post to be within T&C before a mod removes it, everybody wins.

The problem is that more often than not, the member in question CHOSE to type whatever it was that violated the T&C.

It's not like the T&C is hard to understand. It basically says, don't be an asshole to our members, to our site and our staff.

You are always responsible for your own posts. Nobody forces you to type anything and hit 'reply'.

Considering 90% of all staff actions are the result of a member driven complaint, I would be hard pressed to find the time otherwise to write dozens if not hundreds of PM's every couple of days, asking politely if people could edit their posts.

We aren't baby sitters. We are here to enforce the T&C and help members with every day site related business. The membership does police themselves already, considering, as stated above, 90% of all actions are the result of a member sending a complaint to staff.

We don't go looking for problems, we don't have an axe to grind with anybody. All we request is that you and yours follow the rules you agreed to.

If that did indeed occur, I would never have to remove a post, let alone edit one.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I've written a couple posts that violated T&C purely by accident. They were completely removed, not edited, without warning. I read the T&C and didn't see how my posts were violations, and they weren't explained to me either.

Posts without drug use, personal attacks, or merchandise advertising.
edit on 01412k3 by Lynk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

But if people are in power and limit their own accountability with letting certain things slide but blatantly being prejudice towards other sides exactly where is the room to question the system?

It's like the government, you wash my back I'll wash yours.

We have absolute accountability as moderators. To help in avoiding issues, and one of the reasons sometimes it takes awhile for a complaint to be acknowledged, is that ATS is moderated by consensus. It's uncommon - other than in the case of blatant offenses - for decisions to be unilateral. Almost all actions you see as members are the result of a multiple party discussion.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I have often thought there was some ax grinding going on , once and a while.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lynk3

I've written a couple posts that violated T&C purely by accident. They were completely removed, not edited, without warning. I read the T&C and didn't see how my posts were violations, and they weren't explained to me either.

Posts without drug use, personal attacks, or merchandise advertising.

Did you contact the mod in question via PM, or file an actual alert with staff, requesting an explanation?

TBH, you have 1 removed post for being off topic, that was back in June.

Otherwise, nothing...other than a few trashed threads, but everybody has one or two of those. And you were also told why they were removed...

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Of course there is. I've personally seen it myself. Someone derails a thread, insults members and walla no action taken. So I don't know if it's favoritism or corruption.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Do we have to pick from one of those two options?

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Hopefully not but I've seen it before so it's a definite that some of you do.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: yeahright

Hopefully not but I've seen it before so it's a definite that some of you do.

Did you read that part where 90% of all staff actions are the result of a member complaint?

There are about 50 staff for 250 thousand members. We don't see even 10% of what gets posted.

We need alerts, from members advising us that these problems exist, so that we can take the actions required.

Now mind you we could always disagree with what you consider to be "trolling or derailment" however, which is why we moderate based on consensus.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

We have these

The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS

**ALL MEMBERS** The recent surge in Hatred, Racism, and Sheer Stupidity STOPS NOW

and of course this
Terms and Conditions of Use

Truly, I don't think more rules or memos will stop those whose intent is hate.
Alerting staff is your best bet.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Read, etched and ingrained on my mind. However it cannot be denied that despite member complaints, favoritism exists on this site. You're humans, you're not perfect. Yes things slip by you but you all cannot pretend that these problems don't exist.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
I would love to see a thread by Springer or Skeptic entitled " THE END OF PLAYING THE RACE CARD ON ATS".

Maybe a good topic for NLBS.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Lynk3

I have been called a racist though I believe myself not be a racist at all though I do believe my own people have a first right to there own country so My argument was also related to migration.

That said I do think that this would be going a bit too far as freedom of speech is one of ATS prime value's and it is a place that tollerate's the odd rant even from myself.

Racism or thread's when they are based on pushing an agenda or opinion based on racial superioty ground's or other backward idea's such as that guy is too short, his nose is too long, he is the wrong color need to be challenged by calling them what they are.

But yes it is bandied around far too much and abused by some who are too quick to tab that label to anyone whose opinion they do not like and they tend to try to use it as a tar brush, but then again if the feathers dont stick then there is really nothing to worry about and you can always explain your point while poking holes in there argument or simply call them what they are an opposingly opinionated point of view who is abusing a slanderous word for there own politicaly correct idiology's.

It is a gray area as it can fall into the personal attack criteria but banning it would be like gagging many people who lack more elequant method's of putting there opinion across.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS
I remember that one, I don't think it gets unforced much, depending on the subject

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

ATS hasn't seen rants. No way, no how. As an Aspie, hell hath no fury like an autistic ranting. But I won't put that stuff on here. I've been hinted at that I'm a racist because of my stances on some things but I ignore it. If anything it shows the immaturity some people have because they can't debate intelligently without bringing in personal insults.

link   
a reply to: xuenchen

whats NLBS

link   
Thing is, it all goes both ways, i've seen many legitimate concerns shouted down with "you are just playing the race card", which at times seems a convenient way to deflect attention from an episode of prejudice or oppression.

We just need to think a bit more carefully before we open our collective mouths, figuratively speaking.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join